• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Doug Ford, Premier

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Will be interesting to see how this plays out. Does the DoFo manage to ride this out over the next few newscycles?

Picking fights with Teachers is tried and true here, but healthcare? That's new. And covering it up with stories about consulting with experts, without actually doing so ... Whew....

wickedken

TRIBE Member
Free metro passes, tax breaks, same thing to appease the frothy masses.
I don't actually but I wouldn't expect this frothy mass here to notice since you guys don't actually read. It's all the same, none of which benefit me, but I know you guys take all you can get.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I don't actually but I wouldn't expect this frothy mass here to notice since you guys don't actually read. It's all the same, none of which benefit me, but I know you guys take all you can get.
That's a couple of sad But's right there. Why so, wickedflyingbuttress mcFrothington?

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
So some friends and family have been messaging us, asking why we are upset about the autism funding changes.
And while the way the convervatives spin it sounds good $140,000 for kids under six, let me make a few key points clear - the points they don’t share, in their interviews and press releases.

1) the $140,000 is only if your child enters the program at the age of 2, and only if you are on the lowest end of the income scale. If your family makes $250,000 a year, there is nothing. Average income in Ontario is somewhere about 75k per household, so few families will actually get the 140k. The closer the child get to the age of six it also will slide down the scale.

2) the 140k, if you are one of the lucky ones, is supposed to stretch until they are 18. There is also a yearly cap on how much you can actually use - 20,000. Which, from what I’m hearing is also now going to count as taxable income.

3) if your child enters the program after their 6th birthday, the amount changes to 55,000 (again assuming you make 40k a year) to last them until they are 18. Again, a yearly cap as to how much you can use.

4) transition to the new program will not be instant. We do not expect Lizzie to have anything after April 30th. It could take 18 months.

So simple math here folks. Lizzie gets 40 hours a week for therapy @ $55 an hour (the standard amount set by the government). This translates to 2,200 a week. Three months worth is just about 29,000, or 116,000 a year. What the pc’s want to do is give her about 10,000 A YEAR (because, as a two income family with 4 kids, we fall right in the middle of the income scale). 10,000 divided by $55 is the equivalent to one month of therapy, give or take a day or two. Or 45 minutes a day. Your choice!

Lizzie is not ready for full time school. Her doctors have said this. Her therapy team has said this. But, after April 30th, we won’t have a choice any longer. Imagine you not being able to have any say in how your child is educated. Oh wait though, it gets even better - we don’t know that the school can accommodate her until the beginning of the next school year, because their budgets for their already limited EA’s are already set for this year. There is no extra funding for schools to go along with this announcement. So what do we do? She can’t go to daycare. We will be left with nothing. One of us will have to quit our job in order to care for her.

Do you see now? Is it clear? Do you see why we are angry? Our daughter’s rights have been violated. She will be denied an appropriate education, and the necessary therapy that will give her and us hope for her future. Even families who were on the wait list are upset, as they know that the piddly amount they are actually offering per year will not make a dent in what kids actually need for this to be effective.

Yes, the wait list sucks. But there was hope for effective therapy at the end of it. Now there is not. And for those who say ‘something is better than nothing’ they will quickly realize once they get it, how wrong that is.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
So some friends and family have been messaging us, asking why we are upset about the autism funding changes.
And while the way the convervatives spin it sounds good $140,000 for kids under six, let me make a few key points clear - the points they don’t share, in their interviews and press releases.

1) the $140,000 is only if your child enters the program at the age of 2, and only if you are on the lowest end of the income scale. If your family makes $250,000 a year, there is nothing. Average income in Ontario is somewhere about 75k per household, so few families will actually get the 140k. The closer the child get to the age of six it also will slide down the scale.

2) the 140k, if you are one of the lucky ones, is supposed to stretch until they are 18. There is also a yearly cap on how much you can actually use - 20,000. Which, from what I’m hearing is also now going to count as taxable income.

3) if your child enters the program after their 6th birthday, the amount changes to 55,000 (again assuming you make 40k a year) to last them until they are 18. Again, a yearly cap as to how much you can use.

4) transition to the new program will not be instant. We do not expect Lizzie to have anything after April 30th. It could take 18 months.

So simple math here folks. Lizzie gets 40 hours a week for therapy @ $55 an hour (the standard amount set by the government). This translates to 2,200 a week. Three months worth is just about 29,000, or 116,000 a year. What the pc’s want to do is give her about 10,000 A YEAR (because, as a two income family with 4 kids, we fall right in the middle of the income scale). 10,000 divided by $55 is the equivalent to one month of therapy, give or take a day or two. Or 45 minutes a day. Your choice!

Lizzie is not ready for full time school. Her doctors have said this. Her therapy team has said this. But, after April 30th, we won’t have a choice any longer. Imagine you not being able to have any say in how your child is educated. Oh wait though, it gets even better - we don’t know that the school can accommodate her until the beginning of the next school year, because their budgets for their already limited EA’s are already set for this year. There is no extra funding for schools to go along with this announcement. So what do we do? She can’t go to daycare. We will be left with nothing. One of us will have to quit our job in order to care for her.

Do you see now? Is it clear? Do you see why we are angry? Our daughter’s rights have been violated. She will be denied an appropriate education, and the necessary therapy that will give her and us hope for her future. Even families who were on the wait list are upset, as they know that the piddly amount they are actually offering per year will not make a dent in what kids actually need for this to be effective.

Yes, the wait list sucks. But there was hope for effective therapy at the end of it. Now there is not. And for those who say ‘something is better than nothing’ they will quickly realize once they get it, how wrong that is.
Friends of mine are dealing with this. They laid it out for much the same as you have here.

It’s fucking travesty.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya but wynnebag's emails!

This is what happens when spite, instead of reason, animates voters.

Face it - Ontario blows and is filled with horrible, stupid people.

praktik

TRIBE Member

That is complete shit. It seems some outcries have actually changed Ford a little bit on some issues - gotta hope for that while we wait til our next opportunity to change the fuckers out.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
She's one of those yokels who stake their identity on hating of Toronto

Big Toronto hater
We, of the bubble. They want our subway. And to make it look like our metropolitan ways are immoral and elitist. Yet they take the proceeds of our economic engine, and happily spread it around.