• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Dos Question

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
What is the command to write all of the file names in a directory to a text file?

I thought it was:

C:\ dir /w filename.txt

It's giving me a file not found error.

Edit: nevermind I forgot the '>' thingy

Isosceles_CAT

TRIBE Promoter
Edit: Why wouldn't you just delete the post when you found the answer? Is it because you want everyone to know how l33+ you are, because you are using DOS? :p

Sleepy Giant

TRIBE Member
Isosceles_CAT said:
Edit: Why wouldn't you just delete the post when you found the answer? Is it because you want everyone to know how l33+ you are, because you are using DOS? :p
No, I'm hoping that someone will tell me of a windows app so that I don't have to navigate through dos to do this. The path is:

J:\Operation Planning\Forests\English River\Annual Planning\AWS_Annual Work Schedules\Main\2006_07\Production Documentation\Final AWS Submission\Maps\Harvest

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Is there a windows app that works like explorer but lets you use dos-like wild cards for filtering the files returned?

Would be awfully handy to be able to goto "My Documents" and only list like, *.doc and only get my doc files, and filter out the zillion other file types in there that I have right now.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
kaniz said:
Is there a windows app that works like explorer but lets you use dos-like wild cards for filtering the files returned?

Would be awfully handy to be able to goto "My Documents" and only list like, *.doc and only get my doc files, and filter out the zillion other file types in there that I have right now.

damn, the normal 'file open' dialog does this perfectly yet the explorer craps out when I try.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
just a little tiny textbox in the address bar.

Or hell, even support it right within the address bar

c:\somedirectory\*.ext

I'd love that