• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Doorknocking people with clipboards and/or laminated ID cards clipped on

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The awesome sign I put next to my front door that says:

No Community Newspapers
No Admail
No Salespeople or Hawkers
No Jehovahs Witnesses

Was working great until today when I had to add "NO Political Campaigners" with a sharpie at the bottom of the sign, after the appearance of a smiling gay dude with a clipboard and ID badge . What is is with people thinking that wearing a laminated id badge (Kinkos FTW!) and carrying a clipboard gives them licence to try to sell me shit, or sell me somebody, when it is quite obvious I do not want to be disturbed.

*Yells at cloud with ID badge and clipboard*

How many of you actually stand still and listen to these pitches for water testing, gas contracts, the NDP, real estate agents, etc.?

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
I had a guy come by, nametag, and clipboard, from National Home Services. All about my water heater. I recognized the name, made him wait outside for a minute, did a quick Google search, and realized i was right. These shits from National have a serious amount of infractions against them, the BBB thinks they're a joke. I told him i wasn't interested because i knew what they were all about, and dude asked me what i meant. i again told him i wasn't interested, again, he asked why ? i shut the door on him.
Hot water tank sales rep charged with assault

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
What do you have against community newspapers? Didn't Tribe start out as a community newspaper?
Community newspapers were once not owned by big Canadian media companies and it was then that i read them cover to cover.. Now they are and that's why I don't want them. I have enough trouble trying to keep Rogers and Bell's "dear Homeowner" addressed junkmail out of my mailbox, only to have them sneak their crap in under the guise of the small press.

Maui

TRIBE Member
*Looks around at video advertisements playing all over the page* . Hmmm I too hate it when people try to sell me shit. Specially when I'm still laying in bed at 6 in the morning!

Well it is a capitalist society....

Maui

TRIBE Member
Personally I just don't answer the door. I look out and if It's not a friend I go sit back down and continue masturbating.

Signs are offensive. Makes you look like an asshole even if you have good intentions.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Personally I just don't answer the door. I look out and if It's not a friend I go sit back down and continue masturbating.

Signs are offensive. Makes you look like an asshole even if you have good intentions.
:D

I had one guy start arguing with me about why he was there, I finally had to look at him and tell him "look dude, I own the home and I don't do business with you or your company so please leave." This was after 2 previous attempts at saying no thank you.

Many years ago I briefly worked for a natural gas reseller, some of the things I had to deal with were canvassers threatening home owners, perving on their daughters, fraudulently submitting documents and pissing in their bushes.

it's a crap job and it brings out the worst in people

cosmosuave

TRIBE Member
Community newspapers were once not owned by big Canadian media companies and it was then that i read them cover to cover.. Now they are and that's why I don't want them. I have enough trouble trying to keep Rogers and Bell's "dear Homeowner" addressed junkmail out of my mailbox, only to have them sneak their crap in under the guise of the small press.

The Dear Homeowner shit is easy to deal with... Just put return to sender and drop it back in the mailbox... I do it all the time... Get yourself a peep hole and dont answer the door if you don't recognize the person...

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

peko

TRIBE Member
Our Darwin reading monkey statue keeps the religious people away. :)

As for the others, I don't answer the door or say "not interested" through the door window to get them to leave. Yesterday it was some dude with CEG embroidered on his golf shirt - yeah, what ever.

I have a preschooler wheeling and running around my house, plus a baby cruiser crawling around my house - as if I'm opening my door.

I laugh when the knockers have a hard hat on with the clipboard and plastic badge around their neck.

Last edited:

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
I don't even bother looking out the window when my doorbell rings. If it's somebody I know, they know to text or call when they're outside. All others are ignored.

oeretS

TRIBE Member
I don't even bother looking out the window when my doorbell rings. If it's somebody I know, they know to text or call when they're outside. All others are ignored.
I most often do this too - there's basically no one I know who would knock without being able to call/text, except maybe a package delivery.

I used to have the "no junk mail/solicitors" sign at my front door, but I removed it. it just looks really negative and grumpy, a bit of a downer.

KickIT

TRIBE Member
Remember when you were a kid and you actually had to go door-to-door to solicit sponsors/donations for the Terry Fox run and events like that?

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
It's funny. When they come to my door I usually make like I am home....and don't answer the door on purpose.

OR

I take a page out of my wife's book. When they start their pitch she says, "I'm sorry, I don't do business at the door of my house. Have a nice day." It works like a charm.

What IRKS me are the water heater people who wear hard hats and neon crossing guard vests and ask to come in and look at your water heater.

IN THIS WORLD OF INTERNET AND ONLINE BUYING, HOW THE HECK CAN PEOPLE STILL BE GOING DOOR TO DOOR?

peko

TRIBE Member
What IRKS me are the water heater people who wear hard hats and neon crossing guard vests and ask to come in and look at your water heater.

IN THIS WORLD OF INTERNET AND ONLINE BUYING, HOW THE HECK CAN PEOPLE STILL BE GOING DOOR TO DOOR?
The hard hat people are silly.

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
once upon a time when i had a place with a door that people could bother me through...

i would ask them why they are wearing their inside helmet outside.

they would blink, nervously laugh as i closed the door on them.

i would then open the mail slot and hiss.

they got the point.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I suppose I should be glad the Mormons haven't knocked on my door yet... They seem to just accost people on the streets and subways, but if they ever do knock on my door I will ask them if they are wearing their magic underwear before sending them on their way.

acheron

TRIBE Member
My dog answers the dog with loud barking until I tell him to cool it. If I peek through the front window and see it's mormons or clipboard people I just let him bark away. Works like a charm.