• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Don't like popups?

deep

TRIBE Member
I've heard about it before but never tried it out because I was happy with Internet Explorer, but I gave Opera a download yesterday. So far this browser kicks ass. Key points :

- way the hell faster than internet explorer
- you can block pop up windows without the use of an extra program
- highly customizable
- you can skin the browser
- built in access to many search engines, including google
- not bloatware

Check it out, it's pretty damned cool, and I'm going to use this as my main browser for a little while.

http://www.opera.com/

Kalemic

TRIBE Promoter
I hadn't bothered trying Opera for quite some time since the last time I tried a previous incarnation of it, I was left feeling that it didn't offer anything to my surfing experience. This new version though... fucking hell is it fast!!!!!!

The formating on certain webpages is different, but its not off, its just different. I will try it out for a bit to see what I think of it. Damn fast though.. LOL Thanks for the heads up, nice to be reminded about stuff like this.

deep

TRIBE Member
I'm pretty impressed by it. It's even got a built in download manager that is capable of resuming transfers.

You can switch the emulation from IE5 to Netscape, Mozilla etc. if you don't like the way things are displayed. Personally I like it.

As well it's pretty easy to get rid of the banner ads in the free download of the software and "register" the program.

deep

TRIBE Member
The nice thing is too that it's multiplatform, there are clients for lun1x, mac, etc.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

deep

TRIBE Member
software with lots of crap that slows down performance, is unnecessary, uses too many resources i.e. memory cpu, buggy, etc.

KiX

TRIBE Member
Waaah it's so fast!

Thanks deep. I love it! Things are strangely off center tho?

=tina=

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by KiX
Waaah it's so fast!

Thanks deep. I love it! Things are strangely off center tho?

=tina=
yeah, it renders things slightly differently, I haven't yet figured out how to change how things are, mostly because it's not bothersome enough to negate the rest of the features. check your pm.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
yeah, i used that for a while.
its great, and is supposedly the most w3c compliant browser around.

Only thing is, it's javascript/jscript/vbscript functionality leaves much to be desired for.

Given, usually those scripts are only used for garbage anyways, but for those few pages where you actually need it, sometimes opera does not run them.

I do like how it keeps all instances of itself inside its own window, rather than filling up your taskbar with myriad internet explorer instance windows.

I also had some issues getting it to properly refresh message boards and the like(it is the 'fastest' browser ever due to its method of caching pages), i fixed it, but i don't remember how, and have since not bothered reinstalling.

deep

TRIBE Member
It seems as though disk caching in 6.01 is pretty small in total size. Plus that pages do seem to download information every time you visit them. Maybe the version you were using was more cache reliant.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep
It seems as though disk caching in 6.01 is pretty small in total size. Plus that pages do seem to download information every time you visit them. Maybe the version you were using was more cache reliant.
probably, it was in september when i was using it as my linux browser, it may have just been a bug.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by joey
there is waaaaaaaay too much crap!

how the hell to i get rid of these crappin banners?!
you can get a crack off of http://www.astalavista.box.sk

you can also customize the buttons to get rid of the ones you dont want etc...

customizablility seems like annoying extra work at first, but in the end makes the software alot nicer to use, and i'd rather that than be forced to use shit i don't need.

swenard

TRIBE Member
I've been using it all day now and I don't find anything real special in it yet. It is faster.But, not that much faster. The download manager is really nice though!

deep

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by swenard
I've been using it all day now and I don't find anything real special in it yet. It is faster.But, not that much faster. The download manager is really nice though!
- you can turn off pop up windows inside the program without using another program

- you can customize it a lot more than you can other browsers

swenard

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by deep

- you can turn off pop up windows inside the program without using another program

- you can customize it a lot more than you can other browsers
Just got home and I now have some time to play with it. I do like it better than IE. But, I don't see too many differences.