• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Don't Forget To Vote! & the aftermath

peko

TRIBE Member
Dalton will be hard pressed to keep his seat in Ontario. I'm 99% sure Hudak will steamroll the provincial elections. Who the heck the NDP leader in Ontario anyways?

I don't think we've ever seen a conservative mayor, premier and PM. I wonder what it will mean for the city. Though in a weird way, they would need to give the city what it needs as they can no longer pass the buck politically.
Andrea Howarth is the Provincial NDP leader.

I would love to see more women leaders in politics.

I don't think Ontario has ever had the same party leaders on all three levels before. And, even if this happened it doesn't mean Toronto would be a favorite for funding because there are quite a few Conservative municipal leaders voted in right now.

peko

TRIBE Member
are you high?
rae would utterly doom the libs. thinking trotting out another old boy is the usual liberal strategy, we just saw how well that worked. they need to tear it down and rebuild, they have 4/5 years to get their act together and get a real leader with fresh ideas
They need Carolyn Bennett to lead right now!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
"NDP candidate Pierre-Luc Dusseault, 19-year-old Universite de Sherbrooke student, who will forego a summer job at a golf course to represent the Quebec riding of Sherbrooke in Ottawa. He breaks a nearly four-decade old record held by a Liberal MP, Claude-Andre Lachance, who was elected at the age of 20.

As with all the newcomers headed to Parliament Hill, Dusseault will earn a basic MP's salary of $157,731. Not bad for a novice."

Cha ching! gravy train ticket!

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Look her up. Carolyn Bennett has been a strong voice as a Cabinet Minister and as Opposition for a very long time.

I'd rather Carolyn Bennett lead then Rae.
Carolyn is our MP... I could go for that.. Rae would be an utter and complete joke.. I can just see the attack ads now..

JamesM

TRIBE Member
"NDP candidate Pierre-Luc Dusseault, 19-year-old Universite de Sherbrooke student, who will forego a summer job at a golf course to represent the Quebec riding of Sherbrooke in Ottawa. He breaks a nearly four-decade old record held by a Liberal MP, Claude-Andre Lachance, who was elected at the age of 20.

As with all the newcomers headed to Parliament Hill, Dusseault will earn a basic MP's salary of $157,731. Not bad for a novice."

Cha ching! gravy train ticket!
amazing. I wanna be an MP!

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
This discussion needs to focused away from who will be the next Liberal leader, and towards how the centre and left-of-centre can form an viable national alternative. In someways, this four-year majority is very similar to Chretiens last. During that time a fractured right coalesced, moderated itself and started to construct itself as a truly national party. That project has proven to be successful.

We can mourn the end of the old Grits and Tories or recognize last night for what it really was, a radical realignment in Canadian politics that has ushered in a more polarizing era. I doubt Bob Rae will ever lead the Liberal party, but he is certainly best positioned to broker a deal that brings the Liberals and NDP together similar to the one that Peter MacKay made to forge the CPC.

There's a lot to build on, as well as a lot of volatility in the new centre-left. Gone are the last of the old Grit grey hairs wiped out in a manner not dissimilar to the Tory gutting in 1993. The NDP is now a radically different party than it was yesterday, it is now the party of Quebec, but one with strong roots in Ontario and the west. Like the CPC, the NDP is now a truly national party. For the NDP to maintain support of Quebec going forward, it will need to believe Jack Layton continues to represent their interests, and Thomas Mulclair will need to have an even louder voice in Ottawa. In someways, it is Mr. Mulclair, who is best positioned to lead a centre-left party in four years than Rae, Bennett, Trudeau, or even Layton.

To his credit, Jack Layton has done the impossible. There are over one hundred New Democrats heading to Ottawa, and they are chalked full of woman and youth of a variety of cultures and backgrounds from across the country. Inexperienced? Absolutely, but with some strong history and leadership in the party to anchor it, and a willingness to develop a new type of caucus, I see the potential for great growth in the next four years.

A question that remains, is whether a Liberal brand left in tatters will rise from the ashes. One has to wonder if a Justin Trudeau, would let the party of his father become subsumed in a new Liberal-Democratic camp. Expect there to be fissures in the months ahead as those Liberals left standing try to makes sense of the new landscape. While I doubt Rae will ever lead a national party in this country, his influence and experience may wed two parties that policy wise are now closer than ever.

Harper still represents a new type of conservatism in Canada and despite the flaws in our electoral system, more Canadians got behind his brand of politics than they did any other. The Liberal party was unable to free itself from the mindset it was owed another turn to govern. The demise of the Grits took place twenty years after the initial Tory decimation. But now that this moment has arrived, the entitled old guard on the right and left has now been purged.

This is a new Canada.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
This discussion needs to focused away from who will be the next Liberal leader, and towards how the centre and left-of-centre can form an viable national alternative. In someways, this four-year majority is very similar to Chretiens last. During that time a fractured right coalesced, moderated itself and started to construct itself as a truly national party. That project has proven to be successful.

We can mourn the end of the old Grits and Tories or recognize last night for what it really was, a radical realignment in Canadian politics that has ushered in a more polarizing era. I doubt Bob Rae will ever lead the Liberal party, but he is certainly best positioned to broker a deal that brings the Liberals and NDP together similar to the one that Peter MacKay made to forge the CPC.

There's a lot to build on, as well as a lot of volatility in the new centre-left. Gone are the last of the old Grit grey hairs wiped out in a manner not dissimilar to the Tory gutting in 1993. The NDP is now a radically different party than it was yesterday, it is now the party of Quebec, but one with strong roots in Ontario and the west. Like the CPC, the NDP is now a truly national party. For the NDP to maintain support of Quebec going forward, it will need to believe Jack Layton continues to represent their interests, and Thomas Mulclair will need to have an even louder voice in Ottawa. In someways, it is Mr. Mulclair, who is best positioned to lead a centre-left party in four years than Rae, Bennett, Trudeau, or even Layton.

To his credit, Jack Layton has done the impossible. There are over one hundred New Democrats heading to Ottawa, and they are chalked full of woman and youth of a variety of cultures and backgrounds from across the country. Inexperienced? Absolutely, but with some strong history and leadership in the party to anchor it, and a willingness to develop a new type of caucus, I see the potential for great growth in the next four years.

A question that remains, is whether a Liberal brand left in tatters will rise from the ashes. One has to wonder if a Justin Trudeau, would let the party of his father become subsumed in a new Liberal-Democratic camp. Expect there to be fissures in the months ahead as those Liberals left standing try to makes sense of the new landscape. While I doubt Rae will ever lead a national party in this country, his influence and experience may wed two parties that policy wise are now closer than ever.

Harper still represents a new type of conservatism in Canada and despite the flaws in our electoral system, more Canadians got behind his brand of politics than they did any other. The Liberal party was unable to free itself from the mindset it was owed another turn to govern. The demise of the Grits took place twenty years after the initial Tory decimation. But now that this moment has arrived, the entitled old guard on the right and left has now been purged.

This is a new Canada.
Well said. If I have one argument, it is that 60% of the voters did not get behind Harper's brand of politics (according to the popular vote). This is something he needs to keep in mind for the future. The fact that so many voted for the NDP - 31% of the popular vote (a party so completely opposite to the CPC), should serve as a wake-up call. Whether it does or not, we shall see.

Last edited:

JamesM

TRIBE Member
not bad.... in canada if we were a 2 party system going into this election, the conservatives would have been wiped out..

But if Harper plays nice now that he's got his majority.. He could easily sway voters to conservative before the next election.. If he were really looking to the long term, I suspect this is what might happen.. So the sky might not fall... If he can prove himself then in 4 years he can still blame Ignatieff liberals for holding prosperity up!

for the Voting system itself... who knows.. Singing competitions maybe.. and Spinsah, yes well said.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
how would he have been wiped out??
you say 60% didnt vote for harper, well 80% didnt vote for the ndp...and it gets worse for the other parties
did you whine like this when chretien got his majority with even less of the percentage of votes??

JamesM

TRIBE Member
how would he have been wiped out??
you say 60% didnt vote for harper, well 80% didnt vote for the ndp...and it gets worse for the other parties
did you whine like this when chretien got his majority with even less of the percentage of votes??
I'm only saying.... with all the splits, 60% left vote would have crushed them.. not as bad as the liberals of the glory years did though..

anyway.. I'm not complaining (well yes I am, lol).. I'm really just concerned with how he will use his power, wisely I hope..

I do hope he passes those pet things he really needs to pass to be an opinionated human, but he better not fuck with the general interest of canadians.. From the rep he's built in my eyes, I wouldn't put the average canadian's life in his hands.. that's all I'm saying.. Here's to hoping he disproves that sentiment...

ya knowe

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
how wisely did cretin use his power?
i hope he uses it to get rid of the voter subsidy to utterly obliterate the bloq and force the libs to actually engage their base and have them support the party instead of tax money

this election(engineered by the libs) shows you just how out of touch the liberals have become. they need to burn it to the ground and start over, they have 4/5 years to do that now

JamesM

TRIBE Member
oh man, we're just never going to agree on this...

lol.. Chretien brought in global respect, surpluses, and transparency..

I miss the 90s... I'm going to marty mcfly my ass back there!

The #winning key for the liberals is just finding someone who has a history as such as the conservatives find it impossible to manufacture fear ads against.. easy... won't be rae though, that's for sure. :p

Last edited:

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
oh man, we're just never going to agree on this...

lol.. Chretien brought in global respect, surpluses, and transparency..

I miss the 90s... I'm going to marty mcfly my ass back there!

The #winning key for the liberals is just finding someone who has a history as such as the conservatives find it impossible to manufacture fear ads against.. easy... won't be rae though, that's for sure. :p
global respect?? can you point to me the global respect? haprer got the g8 AND g20 to Canada
the libs raided ei and slashed funding to provinces and also the military to get balanced budgets(in one of the best economic times ever to boot!), and what transparency???
they got CAUGHT and CHARGED stealing tax payer money, ffs, give your head a shake man

harper hasnt been the best pm, but he has been a fuckload better than the other options

yeah, all the libs need is for a leader the cons cant show ads about...good call

Last edited:

JamesM

TRIBE Member
they got CAUGHT and CHARGED stealing tax payer money, ffs, give your head a shake man
you know what? I was watching the hockey game.. and thought, bbj is going to adscam this shizzle up, so I better go check in on it, and well I wasn't disappointed..

a small faction of part time liberals make a scam.. okay, we got over it..

have you read a newspaper in the past 5 years.. seems to be much more flowing the opposite direction.. have you gotten over it?

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
i give up, you're right
the world is about to end since your party didnt win
doesnt matter that there has been zero spending on jets, or jails and those kinds of things need to be updated kind of like a computer or a federal party or they fall apart and become obsolete

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
The world's not going to end.

It's going to be interesting to see what Harper does though, now that he's got the majority he tried so hard for.

I'll be taking notes.

DJ Vuvu Zela

TRIBE Member
global respect?? can you point to me the global respect? haprer got the g8 AND g20 to Canada
Jean Chrétien had Canada host the G8. (there was no G20 summits when the Liberals were in power) Security cost was a pittance relative to the Conservative clusterfuck. You can't even compare the UN record between Harper and Chrétien since Harper was eating doughnuts when he should have been engaging the world.

the libs raided ei and slashed funding to provinces and also the military to get balanced budgets(in one of the best economic times ever to boot!), and what transparency???
the Harper government was Caught, Charged and CONVICTED of Contempt of Parliament. They also have been Caught & Charged with an 'In & Out' campaign finance scandal.

The Liberals may have not been transparent, but they were never as Opaque as the Cons.

Plus the Liberals could at least appoint a Science Minister that believes in Evolution.