• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Don't Forget To Vote! & the aftermath

Silverback92

TRIBE Member
I never vote they're all full of shit!!! They say what people want to hear then once they get in they're just as bad if not worse than the last prick in office. I'll vote when somebody says they'll take care of the over priced gas at the pumps.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
Rock the Vote Canada . If you don't care to vote , explain to a war veteran who lost all his friends in world war 1 and 2 so you could be free in a democracy why you did not care to........

So many of us take this for granted. Heck...if you don't like anyone, you can spoil your ballot.

solacevip

TRIBE Promoter
...but that might be just me. I love this shit. Oscars....Grammys.....American Idol and Elections get me excited.

....that does NOT include Dancing with the Stars.

Silverback92

TRIBE Member
Rock the Vote Canada . If you don't care to vote , explain to a war veteran who lost all his friends in world war 1 and 2 so you could be free in a democracy why you did not care to........

So many of us take this for granted. Heck...if you don't like anyone, you can spoil your ballot.
I did and they bought me a beer for standing up to what I believe. Which is "all politicians are bullshitters" They're the biggest crooks going. I'd trust a Biker more than I would a Politician. At least you know whats coming with a Biker.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
I never vote they're all full of shit!!! They say what people want to hear then once they get in they're just as bad if not worse than the last prick in office.
That's precisely why I'm not voting. Not because I don't care, but because I do. They all spew the same shit over and over just to get elected, and then fail to improve the lives of those who put them in power.

The bigger picture overall needs to change.

Maui

TRIBE Member
The NDP are not spewing the same shit as the Conservatives. Not by a long shot.

We've just never had a party for the people in charge so why would anything change?

Eclectic

TRIBE Member

This.

If you don't vote, you show those in power that they can do whatever and public apathy will carry them through another 4 years...

Maui

TRIBE Member
OTTAWA — Disaffected and angry voters, take note: spoiling your ballot is a crime.

There's no legal way to express disgust for politics via the ballot, whether by scribbling on it, writing obscenities, or drawing pictures.

According to section 167(2)(a) of the Canada Elections Act, "no person shall wilfully alter, deface or destroy a ballot." Conviction could bring a $500 fine or three months in jail -- even though the chances of getting caught are effectively nil.

Nil, that is, unless the spoiler wants to make a show of the protest -- by eating the ballot, for example.

Members of the Edible Ballot Society tried that method in the 2000 election but the trend faded after a number of prosecutions.

Spoiling a ballot in privacy is not much of a protest, suggests Elections Canada spokesman Dana Doiron.

"Nobody gets real satisfaction out of it because nobody knows about it," Doiron said.

"It can't be attributed to the individual because of the secrecy. It just goes unrecorded, unnanounced, unknown. So you've wasted your time going to the poll in the first place."

Chief Electoral Officer Jean-Pierre Kingsley has mused about introducing some legal method for registering a protest vote, but there have been no concrete proposals.

So what's a disgusted voter to do?

"There are laws against disrupting the conduct of the polls, so you can't go there and shout and scream and stamp your feet," said Doiron.

The best strategy is to become a candidate, or try to find a candidate worthy of support, he said.

But many Canadians are taking the lazy way out and staying home. Rates of voter participation have been declining with every election in recent history.

Elections Canada has tried to counter declining turnout by making it easier for people to vote, both through advance polls and through special mail-in ballots.

In this election it has been easier to vote than ever before, said Doiron. Those wishing to do so could cast a ballot almost any day since the writ was dropped, even before the campaign got seriously under way.

That raises another question: what if a voter changes his or her mind before election day?

Too bad, Doiron said. You can only vote once.

Those convinced that political ethics have never been worse might recall that as recently as the 1950s, politicans were known to offer voters chocolates, bottles of rum or nylon stockings.

That isn't heard of now, says Doiron.

"There were some things that society found semi-acceptable that just are not acceptable now. It's like lighting up a cigarette in a baby's room, it's just not considered any more."

Nor has the result of any Canadian election been disputed, a contrast with recent history in the United States.

In U.S. federal elections, every state has a different voting system; in this country Elections Canada applies the same rules across the country and a single missing ballot must be explained.

That's why you can't eat the ballot.

Spoiling ballot is a crime, warns Elections Canada - CTV News

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
well i guess turning the cable off all over town and screwing up all the phone lines is a good way to get everyone off their asses and out to go vote. :rolleyes:

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
That's precisely why I'm not voting. Not because I don't care, but because I do. They all spew the same shit over and over just to get elected, and then fail to improve the lives of those who put them in power.

The bigger picture overall needs to change.

Well I hope all your wisdom and effort reap you much rewards on your path to righteousness.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Well I dunno, I mean I've thought along the same lines as the vote abstainers.

But in those elections I voted Natural Law, Marxist or Marijuana party - which is what I think people should do if they're feeling like they wanna protest.

tobywan

TRIBE Member
Very surprised tobywan......but you are a proponent of Remembrance Day? Just a question.
I do believe it's important to remember those who gave up their lives, but certainly not for the reasons that they did.

I'd rather not vote for something that I don't truly believe in, rather than vote just because others tell me I should.

Def won't be losing any sleep tonight.