• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Don Cherry

kuba

TRIBE Member
I dont understand why people are complaining that the cbc is looking into don cherry's comments. I dont always agree with him, and I barely ever watch him anymore. I do believe in the power to choose whether you want to have the volume up or down. However, I do think that he has crossed the line once too many times, and its time to junk this guy. Or punch him in the junk. comments?

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

finary

TRIBE Promoter
i think he's old and gettin a little loopy.

half the shit he says doesnt make sense. he had a good run.

ian

TRIBE Member
He is a red neck babbling moron. The only interesting thing about his whole schtick is watching how drunk he gets between periods.

-ian g.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by finary
i think he's old and gettin a little loopy.

half the shit he says doesnt make sense. he had a good run.

And you think Satelite Hot Stove is better than him? :rolleyes:

I think he's awesome, he's fucking funny and he is a good entertainer.

Last edited:

Jonesy

TRIBE Member
I think if you know what Grapes is about, even to the slightest degree, you should take a lot of what he says with a grain of salt. His brash comments and speaking style are a big part of why he appeals to the "average person". He is a persona that has become a staple of Canadian Hockey, which is inclusive of the idiotic comments he (often) makes.

IMO

silver1

TRIBE Member
The latest comment he's taking heat over is, "The majority of players in the NHL that wear visors are Europeans and the French".

I'd be curious to see the actual stats to see if his comment was actually statistically valid.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by silver1
The latest comment he's taking heat over is, "The majority of players in the NHL that wear visors are Europeans and the French".

I'd be curious to see the actual stats to see if his comment was actually statistically valid.

although he said that, he pretty much also said that euros and french players are wimps. 90% or so of the top 10 scorers in the NHL wear a visor.

Sunshyne Jones

TRIBE Member
i'd be interested to see the stats re: on how many episodes did he 'cross the line' with his comments.

question is, what consititutes the line? and who decideson that?

but i'd be willing to guess they find enough questionable comments over the years to make their case.

poker face

TRIBE Member
The Media blows the fuck out of everything like: This, JJ's Teet, and Howard Deans Yell. I wish people would really spend their time worrying about more important things.

noodle

TRIBE Member
I just find a little disturbing that they decided to implement the whole 7 second delay thing now (as opposed to the countless other times he's made offencive remarks). The whole issue of censorship is a very subjective thing. I'm not impressed that we were so quick to follow Americans in this respect. There are other ways to deal with it.

Don Cherry should learn to control himself, if he can't, he shouldn't be in broadcasting (or at least penalized for his actions). As much as I can take him with a grain of salt, there are lots of people who can't and actually believe everything he says (especially the kids who idolize him).

I used to have to watch episodes of Jimmy Swaggart every week to see if made any offensive comments. Any time I heard something even remotely derogatory, I would pull the show.

Television is not the medium for these personal comments to made. It's scary how a persuasive voice is able to brainwash people.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Sunshyne Jones
i'd be interested to see the stats re: on how many episodes did he 'cross the line' with his comments.

question is, what consititutes the line? and who decideson that?

but i'd be willing to guess they find enough questionable comments over the years to make their case.

the "line" is racism. Clear and blatant.

~atp~

TRIBE Member
Whatever. Don Cherry is just unintelligent , and is being paid to be obnoxious, not intelligent. If people expect him to be polite and politically correct 100% of the time, then they shouldn't watch Hockey Night in Canada.

labRat

TRIBE Member
ah man, this is what it's over?

..... i thought he showed his boob or somethin' on Coaches Corner.

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
I am not a hockey fan but always appreciated Mr. Cherry's candor.

I think the CBC are a bunch of whiney pussies thought. Why employ a self-professed big mouth if you're going to edit him with this silly safety button.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
^^^
Totally agree with Poker Face

Its nothing to get your knickers tied into a knot about fter all ;)

However, as a taxpayer we do kinda have a say, since part of our hard earned dollars goes into the CBC does it not?

ktown

TRIBE Member
i think he's hilarious... especially when he totally cuts off the guy beside him (i can never remember his name) and quite frankly FUCK CBC ;) hehehe... but seriously all people do these days is CRY... oh no he offended me... well you can't please everyone... he knows hockey thats what he's there for... yeah hes looney and opinionated and drunk but that IS entertrainment?!?

EffinHard

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by qtip
although he said that, he pretty much also said that euros and french players are wimps. 90% or so of the top 10 scorers in the NHL wear a visor.

so what is it? 9 out of 10 or more or less?

tobywan

TRIBE Member
The CBC gets is getting more and more fucking boring, along with their "tsk tsk" bullshit.

It's 2004, wake up people.

KillaLadY

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ktown
i think he's hilarious... especially when he totally cuts off the guy beside him (i can never remember his name) and quite frankly FUCK CBC ;) hehehe... but seriously all people do these days is CRY... oh no he offended me... well you can't please everyone... he knows hockey thats what he's there for... yeah hes looney and opinionated and drunk but that IS entertrainment?!?

EXACTLY!

noodle

TRIBE Member
This is the memo we got about it:

A Statement from the Executive Vice-President of CBC Television

I want to make clear the CBC Television position with respect to Don Cherry.

Mr. Cherry has been an important part of the Canadian hockey scene as a
player, coach and commentator over the past five decades. Fans across the country have tuned into Hockey Night in Canada's Coach's Corner for over 20 years because of his insights and understanding of the game.

Mr. Cherry's role on Coach's Corner is, and has always been, as a hockey commentator. However, during the January 24th show he unacceptably stepped beyond that role by expressing an inappropriate and reprehensible personal opinion as part of his discussion about the use of visors.

CBC Television categorically rejects and denounces the personal opinions Mr. Cherry expressed during the segment. Comments such as those expressed during the show cannot be repeated and will not be tolerated.

CBC Television must manage its airwaves responsibly. In order to do this, CBC Sports will broadcast Coach's Corner on a seven-second delay. This practice is common on many live broadcasts and is in effect immediately.

Additionally, CBC Sports management have reviewed the January 24th broadcast with Mr. Cherry, and have his assurances that comments of this nature will not be repeated.

Harold Redekopp
Executive Vice-President
CBC Television