• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Don Cherry fired

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
I actually didn't think his rant was that bad. I was expecting much worse from the headlines before I watched the video.

I agree he's a clown, but he's entertained me over the year (as a casual HNIC fan). I recall losing respect for him when he publicly supported Rob Ford. I remember enjoying Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Hockey in the early days of VHS.

Focusing on his actual rant, quoted below, one could argue that his use of the phrase "You people" possibly meant any immigrant (regardless of colour/ethnicity) who does not support Canadian veterans by buying/wearing a poppy before Remembrance Day, as opposed to all immigrants or all minorities.

His comment was a bit dumb, as is a lot of stuff that he says, but I think the outrage over his comments is overblown and should be saved for more worthwhile causes. I also think the politically correct outrage over his comments will serve to fire up conservative groups and give them ammunition for recruiting others who may not agree with the outrage/firing.

I have noticed that fewer folks in downtown Toronto are wearing poppies. I didn't have one this year, despite getting one almost every year, and the simple reason is that I didn't see anyone selling them this year. I'm not sure if the poppy-vendors hang out at shopping malls, but I very rarely go to malls these days.
One could argue that “You people” referred to all immigrants but that’s not the point. Neither is targeting immigrants who don’t wear poppies. Where’s the national campaign, targeted at educating said people?

Poppies are available in various stores and are marketed through a donation box. The donation is supposed to be optional. ...but how many times have we all walked through a checkout line and ignored a donation box. Many of us donate to causes we can relate to and that should be enough.

As to the Conservative outrage? They missed that boat on that when they railed on Trudeau for his past “black-face” behaviour. They were ALL over it. They wanted him buried for a number of reasons but they latched onto that issue and ran with it.

You can’t be AGAINST Pony-Boy’s past deeds but support - FOR 30+ years - the bigotry from Cherry. Of course, it flows both ways. ...but that ship has sailed, for now. Trudeau says he’s sorry. Canadians buy that. Don Cherry says he’s NOT sorry. Viewers, advertisers and the network that employed him have spoken on that.

It’s pretty simple, really - once you get past the attention-seeking slugs who’s entire existence is defined by how outraged they are. ;)

Last edited:
tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

praktik

TRIBE Member
See but she's virtue signalling like crazy here - signalling the virtue of supporting Don Cherry.

The thing about people who talk about virtue signalling is that in their tiny, tribal kinds it's only something *other people do* and they're effectively blind to their own tribal social signalling since these signals are valid and it's only other tribes that have the bad signalling going on...

CiG

TRIBE Member
Black face is a ok and gets you a contract extension, you people is not and gets you fired.

Can we just start fining people for bad behaviour, like athletes get fined for speaking against referees or their organizations? I'm just tired of the top news being guy says something inappropriate, and people are fighting over gay poppies.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
See but she's virtue signalling like crazy here - signalling the virtue of supporting Don Cherry.

The thing about people who talk about virtue signalling is that in their tiny, tribal kinds it's only something *other people do* and they're effectively blind to their own tribal social signalling since these signals are valid and it's only other tribes that have the bad signalling going on...
When I do something, it's okay. When you do the same, it's bad.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Black face is a ok and gets you a contract extension, you people is not and gets you fired.

Can we just start fining people for bad behaviour, like athletes get fined for speaking against referees or their organizations? I'm just tired of the top news being guy says something inappropriate, and people are fighting over gay poppies.
Are Conservatives saying blackface is okay, and that Mr Cherry being fired is reasonable; or did I miss them not actually being hypocritical?

Mondieu

TRIBE Member

Blackface is by no means, ok. ...but the public just voted on the 20 year-old matter.

The advertisers, network and public also voted on the 30+ years of bigotry that have continually spewed - like grandpa dragon-fyre - from Cherry’s mouth.

The people and money have spoken.

Next issue: Gay poppies

Gay poppies are gay. That’s the fucking point. ...and if this offends you for even a second, I dunno what to say. Grab yourself a colour that’s not taken and do your thing, if it’s out of respect for veterans! :)

We have more important things to worry about than Gay poppies and Grapes. Let’s get back to the upcoming Sasketewan/Alberta severance, shall we? Lol!

Last edited:

Not just "you people"

"You people who came here..."

Big difference. And not at all a misunderstanding on what he was trying to say.

Comparing it to blackface - also a pretty big difference. Like one apologizing immediately and trying to show some understanding of what he did was wrong. The other using coded racism and seeing it from a self centered point of view and everyone else being wrong.

Kind of funny how empathy works, huh?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
You know what would be far more appropriate comparison of Don Cherry's comments with an actual equivalence? The blackface comparison is so fucking dumb.

Jimmy the Greek right before he got fired. He didn't think he said anything wrong either. Look him up on Google and see how well Jimmy's comments have aged.