• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Don Cherry fired

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Loud, angry Grandpa’s been nothing more or less than a caricature for the past 20 years. Good riddance. On the upside - I see a bright a bright, albeit short, political future for him, as a mascot for the PPOC!

Now awaiting the backlash and vitriol from juiced-up meat-heads, puck-fucks and rubes across the nation. ;)

Last edited:

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Rogers had to lose a lot of money on an expensive hockey TV deal first I guess.

Don Cherry has proven himself to be a xenophobic, racist, sexist, homophobe. He has become extremely rich representing this perspective; one protected by the implicit support of the CBC, Mainstream Media and the Canadian state.

And it is their view he represents. Or else he would have been fired a long time ago.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Rogers had to lose a lot of money on an expensive hockey TV deal first I guess.

Don Cherry has proven himself to be a xenophobic, racist, sexist, homophobe. He has become extremely rich representing this perspective; one protected by the implicit support of the CBC, Mainstream Media and the Canadian state.

And it is their view he represents. Or else he would have been fired a long time ago.
You’re right about Rogers and elements of the “Canadian state” but I disagree with your notion that clearly marked pugilist pundits represent the views of the networks who give them a forum. Every network currently employs “opinion” as a part of their broadcast schedule. Varying opinions are key to a well balanced dialogue. Don Cherry doesn’t represent the views of the CBC, anymore than any other talking-head pundit on any other network. He draws his support from the slack-jaws who support the network, through viewership of hockey, while loathing it on every other level.

The CBC have let it slide, to be sure. ...but they’ve made the right decision, at an appropriate time.

Don Cherry represents Don Cherry and is wholly responsible for his own bullshit. He’s a 3rd party commentator. Let’s not toss the baby out with the bath-water, when the source of the fire has been extinguished.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
This was served on a platter for Sportsnet. I believe they wanted to replace him for awhile now but feared the backlash. This incident gives them an easy way out.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
He was on CBC for 30 years before Rogers.
Yes. ...as a loud-mouthed pundit. Pretty clear that his opinions don’t mesh with the CBC’s general approach. Every network has this type of commentator. It’s “opinion”, NOT the network’s position. If there were public outcry in the last 3 instances that Cherry almost ate his words, he’d have been gone a long time ago. There wasn’t. The climate was different. This time, he’s gone. Same rules apply to Rex Murphy. Gian Gomeshi is a slightly different story, as he was a direct employee of the organization and - in that case - upper management failed to address the issues in a timely fashion.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
CBC & Rogers made money off his bigotry, so fuck em for all of it.
That’s fine. You’re entitled to skewer the organization for offering him a forum. I’m not into that, simply because the excellent programming FAR outweighs the nonsense on both CBC radio and television. ;)

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
CBC is complicit on Cherry, as is Rogers.

His prejudice was sickening. He would overlook great plays by Europeans and comment enthusiastically on minor plays by Canadians. A cheap shot by a European was good old tough hockey, if a Canadian did it.

And everyone knew he was like that.

Thanks to the CBC, we missed out on some great hockey analysis, due to his discrimination.

Pave Bure called him a clown. And it’s a joke that his free speech ‘martyrdom’, now, will make it appear that racism is a principle worth fighting for.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
CBC is complicit on Cherry, as is Rogers.

His prejudice was sickening. He would overlook great plays by Europeans and comment enthusiastically on minor plays by Canadians. A cheap shot by a European was good old tough hockey, if a Canadian did it.

And everyone knew he was like that.

Thanks to the CBC, we missed out on some great hockey analysis, due to his discrimination.

Pave Bure called him a clown. And it’s a joke that his free speech ‘martyrdom’, now, will make it appear that racism is a principle worth fighting for.
I don’t disagree with anything you’re saying about Cherry. He is a fucking clown. Not gonna get into the “what-about”. It would take all night. I’m also not going to paint an entire, National broadcasting corporation with a broad stroke because they didn’t fire a segment pundit for his words.

Don Cherry said some shit - surprise surprise. He got fired. More surprise.

Folks should enjoy all of the righteousness they feel, savour it and then - let’s move on, shall we? A cranky old bigot in a whack suit shouldn’t hold this much power over people’s well-being.

I’m all for justice. ...just not much for the “guns-out, hurt-pussy - KILL ‘em all” bullshit.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Maybe Roseanne Barr and Don Cherry can be pals now and hangout. LOL
Rosanne would eat him alive.

Having said that and - while we’re on the topic -

Maybe we should shut down that entire network. Rosanne isn’t the only tasteless twat they’ve backed.

Let’s just shut them ALL down! Let’s dig for dirt and end them, their employees, their advertisers AND anyone who watches them. ...just to be safe. That way, nobody gets offended and we can all live happily in a closeted world of vanilla, pablum and Do-good Dans. Lol!

Last edited:

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
CBC & Rogers made money off his bigotry, so fuck em for all of it.
If we applied this reasoning to every company that’s existed for more than 15 years, we’d be starting from scratch. It’s a fantastic idea, in theory. ...but hardly realistic.

Cherry is gone. NEXT!

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
I don’t disagree with anything you’re saying about Cherry. He is a fucking clown. Not gonna get into the “what-about”. It would take all night. I’m also not going to paint an entire, National broadcasting corporation with a broad stroke because they didn’t fire a segment pundit for his words.

Don Cherry said some shit - surprise surprise. He got fired. More surprise.

Folks should enjoy all of the righteousness they feel, savour it and then - let’s move on, shall we? A cranky old bigot in a whack suit shouldn’t hold this much power over people’s well-being.

I’m all for justice. ...just not much for the “guns-out, hurt-pussy - KILL ‘em all” bullshit.
Pretend you're a person with real power for a second: How many times is it okay to let an unrepentant xenophobe off before I fire them and initiate my finding a superior replacement?

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Rosanne would eat him alive.

Having said that and - while we’re on the topic -

Maybe we should shut down that entire network. Rosanne isn’t the only tasteless twat they’ve backed.

Let’s just shut them ALL down! Let’s dig for dirt and end them, their employees, their advertisers AND anyone who watches them. ...just to be safe. That way, nobody gets offended and we can all live happily in a closeted world of vanilla, pablum and Do-good Dans. Lol!
Cool, tear those down who refuse to change. Render them to the evolutionary old boys scrap heap.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
I actually didn't think his rant was that bad. I was expecting much worse from the headlines before I watched the video.

I agree he's a clown, but he's entertained me over the year (as a casual HNIC fan). I recall losing respect for him when he publicly supported Rob Ford. I remember enjoying Rock 'Em Sock 'Em Hockey in the early days of VHS.

Focusing on his actual rant, quoted below, one could argue that his use of the phrase "You people" possibly meant any immigrant (regardless of colour/ethnicity) who does not support Canadian veterans by buying/wearing a poppy before Remembrance Day, as opposed to all immigrants or all minorities.

"You people … that come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey, at least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that," he said. "These guys paid for your way of life that you enjoy in Canada, these guys paid the biggest price."
His comment was a bit dumb, as is a lot of stuff that he says, but I think the outrage over his comments is overblown and should be saved for more worthwhile causes. I also think the politically correct outrage over his comments will serve to fire up conservative groups and give them ammunition for recruiting others who may not agree with the outrage/firing.

I have noticed that fewer folks in downtown Toronto are wearing poppies. I didn't have one this year, despite getting one almost every year, and the simple reason is that I didn't see anyone selling them this year. I'm not sure if the poppy-vendors hang out at shopping malls, but I very rarely go to malls these days.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories