• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Don Berns aka Dr Trance Rest in Peace

cosmiK-Cat

TRIBE Member
This is like a punch in the gut.
Reading what happened, so sad.
Love that cbc article and the condolences on donberns.com
from Len, jennstar, Ryan7 and more..
he really was The Godfather of Trance

lockedgruv

TRIBE Member
"See me, hear me, feel me, love me, touch me"

(a track like that was on his Dance into the Light mix CD)

RIP Dr. Trance :(
[YOUTUBE]<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/BlkMiP15r1g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe> [/YOUTUBE]

Last edited:

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Rip Dr. Trance. I haven't known him. Only from seeing him from Sauble Beach back at WEMF, which was a real treat. He ended up playing until the sun came up, and looked just as energetic in front of whoever could keep up at 9am.

I have some footage from the aforementioned Tribe BBQ "The Monsoon" with Dr. Trance. I've never put it online until today:

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ian

TRIBE Member
Does anyone have a MP3 of "Dance Into The Light"? I forgot all about that awesome CD. . . would love to listen to it and remember Don. . .

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
I'm still expecting him to pop in here and reply. This is all very bizarre to me. His personality was very commanding and so boisterous that I'm still coping with the fact that he isn't here any more. :(

LikeASweet

TRIBE Member
sad news! i remember him spinning at one of the first parties I ever attended and would always see him after that, out and about. that CBC article was great and glad he was able to share his thoughts on how the scene came and went one last time. RIP to a legend!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Does anyone have any good hi res shots of Don?

I did try Alex already who has lots, but he's in SA and unable to access any of them.

Need them for a tribute that is being planned at an upcoming event.

*SiLver*RoBoT*

TRIBE Member
Sad to hear of the passing of a Toronto icon. I never met him personally, but he always had a smile on his face, and was most definitely influential in shaping Toronto's music scene. Rest in peace Dr. Trance.

*over*and*out*

*SiLver*RoBoT*

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
This is one of my favorite photos I shot of Don that captured his intensity and spirit as he introduced Bad Boy Bill as Bill dropped his first track:

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
the funeral was this afternoon. 120 ppl crammed into the largest room at humphrey's funeral home. the speeches were touching, heartfelt and, at times, hilarious. lorraine segato of parachute club sang "times like these".

while it was great to see some familiar faces, it was also amazing to see so many from different parts of don's life. different pockets of friends that had never met before, as described by don's best friend, david marsden.

there is a gathering of friends tonight at mcgugan's pub, upstairs, starting at 7 pm, organized by mark grimace. McGugan's Pub | 1058 Gerrard St. E., Toronto, ON | (416) 901-9859

come join us if you want to reminisce with us about don berms and the wonderful impact he had on so many. (sorry for the short notice. i just found out about this gathering a short while ago.)

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
i really got to know Don when he was spinning alternative industrial at the World in Mississauga, then at the Opera House, for alternative shows. he always played everythinging i asked for, and always introduced me into new stuff. he was a musical encyclopedia, and i took in everything he has to say. between him and Iain, that formed my introduction to the art.
2015 Pride is going to be something very different this year, for sure.
they want you to celebrate, but we've lost our King.
I most bonded with Don not in the Rave scene, but in the CFNY days, and it's very tough to hear certain songs and not feel something. Marsden's tribute nailed it.
Toronto should name a street after Don.

loopdokter

TRIBE Promoter
there is a gathering of friends tonight at mcgugan's pub, upstairs, starting at 7 pm, organized by mark grimace. McGugan's Pub | 1058 Gerrard St. E., Toronto, ON | (416) 901-9859

come join us if you want to reminisce with us about don berms and the wonderful impact he had on so many. (sorry for the short notice. i just found out about this gathering a short while ago.)
I haven't checked this thread since posting and only found out about this after the fact. I'm kind of bummed because I'd spoken to Mark on the morning of the funeral about a gathering.

Psyrel

TRIBE Member
The only pic I took of him at the TBQ. Got there late and he was almost finished and I didn't bother taking more pics cause...you know...I'd just catch him at the next event. :(

Metal Morphosis

TRIBE Member
Tara, i think i still have a mix tape of his radio show with him mentioning you and Lynn for correctly answering a question about Sasha. I don't have the means to play mixtapes anymore, but if i could figure out which one it was, i'd most certainly gift it to you.

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
The Official Tribute to Don Berns / Dr. Trance.

"Dance Into The Light" is a one-time only event celebrating the extraordinary life and legacy of Don Berns, aka Dr. Trance. His collective family from the rave, radio and musical theatre scenes have collaborated to bring you a unique and joyous celebration of Don’s illustrious career. This evening of live performance, CFNY classics and full-on dance music will resonate with all that were part of Don’s big family. Come with a friend - and leave with many wonderful memories.

Saturday, May 30, 2015
8 p.m. to 2 a.m.
The Opera House
735 Queen St. East

https://www.facebook.com/events/1097655086927754/