• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Doing stuff alone...

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Kindof a tangent from my thread in the B/SF.

It seems like alot of people won't do activities alone - such as going to concerts/movies/sporting events. Often when I mention I'm going to something alone, I get sideways looks. "Why would you go if you're not with someone?". People only ever want tickets in pairs (try selling a single ticket to anything on ebay).

For those that think this way, why don't you enjoy doing these kinds of things alone? I do it fairly often and I don't see what the aversion is.

mingster

TRIBE Member
i do some stuff alone sometimes. mosty cause i'm in need of some alone time. and i've done the occasional thing like going to a movie by myself. but generally i like to enjoy the experience with somebody. i'd rather go out for dinner with somebody than go alone. sometimes i want to do something and no one wants to do it with me, so i'll just do it alone, or stay home.

and also, i think life can get so busy, that an occasion where i do recreational stuff is often also a good occasion to spend some time with a friend.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
For stuff like concerts, you might leave your house alone, but you're definitely not going alone.

I've done the solo thing a few times. I do like to go with my friends, but say there's a band in town I really like and either none of my friends like them or everyone else is busy- I'll go and enjoy it anyhow.

You'll usually end up meeting people anyway- I mean you've got at least one thing in common right?

If you're shy, or feel like people will think less of you because you're by yourself I can sympathise.

I was considering going out for dinner on Valentines by myself... just to see people's reactions.

OTIS

TRIBE Member
I don't mind doing things alone.. but they usually involve specific things only I'm interested in as far as my friends go.

rejenerate

TRIBE Member
I do a lot of stuff alone (going to the gym, shopping etc.) because I prefer to do it alone. So I think of movies/concerts/dining as social activities. I mean, the reason I have the friends I have is that we have similar tastes, so I can usually find someone to go with and it's a chance to see them while doing something fun. And like for concerts, for example, it's nice to have someone to chat with while you wait.

But I have done those things by myself...I'll go to a movie on my own when it's a spontaneous decision (happened to be walking by the theatre)...went to see Ministry in New Orleans by myself (because my mom wasn't interested!)...went to a Japanese restaurant by myself because again, I was just walking by and totally craving sushi. But I do think doing these things with the people you like just adds to the experience...and you have someone to talk about it with after.

~jen

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by I_bRAD

I've done the solo thing a few times. I do like to go with my friends, but say there's a band in town I really like and either none of my friends like them or everyone else is busy- I'll go and enjoy it anyhow.

Same here. It's not even a matter of alone time. If I want to do something, I'm doing it. If people want to come, wicked. If not, I'm still going.

It's just people who won't go, even though they kinda want to, just because they don't have anyone to go with. I don't get it.

p.s. thanks alex. :)

kuba

TRIBE Member
I like to play video games alone. Ive gone to the movies alone a few times, to see what I want and when I want and so that the person Im NOT with doesnt end up talking or spoiling it for me. I like to go to chapters alone and read magazines. I like to go shopping alone so I define where I go and when etc. Sporting events? I havent gone alone since grade 7 or something, but I would if it was a big game. At a sporting event, you meet people anyways and whats the big deal? Ive always been of the thinking that - the people who see me alone wont ever see me again so whats the big deal. Even if they did- so what. I dont really care what people think of me anyways.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by R4V4G3D_SKU11S
Same here. It's not even a matter of alone time. If I want to do something, I'm doing it. If people want to come, wicked. If not, I'm still going.

It's just people who won't go, even though they kinda want to, just because they don't have anyone to go with. I don't get it.

p.s. thanks alex. :)

who the fuck is this :p

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
I like going to movies with people so I can talk to them while it plays. I mean, it's just logical that you would want to do that, right?

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by qtip
Ive always been of the thinking that - the people who see me alone wont ever see me again so whats the big deal. Even if they did- so what. I dont really care what people think of me anyways.

Yeah but who the fuck thinks anything of it?

Do people really go "oh man, look at that, what a dork, he's here alone"?

Aphrodite

TRIBE Member
I like to go to the movies alone.. but it's pretty rare these days. we sorta spend every spare second together. lol

I used to go to parties alone, knowing I'd see people I'd know there. but not really anymore.

thasverynice

I often go to films alone. Sometimes I'd much rather see it alone, but it's nice to have someone to talk about what I've seen sometimes right after I've seen it.

Sporting events alone somewhat doesn't seem right to me. Partly because the whole purpose seems communal, and there's often sub communes (you and your friends) that make up part of the larger commune (the home team crowd). Sounds silly, but it's all good.

Concerts I'm half and half. I've gone to some concerts solo for my own enjoyment, but I often like going with someone else, just cause the experience seems a bit more fun when you can share it. Also, it's nice to have someone to talk to and hang with before the show starts.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by MalGlo
kev/basic did you just change your name?

why?

I did.

Why? Time for a change. I've only ever used basic here and on Hulla. basic is definetely a part of me, but I'm just not that person anymore.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Yeah but who the fuck thinks anything of it?

Do people really go "oh man, look at that, what a dork, he's here alone"?

no, but I have gone solo and people have asked "where are your friends/group" and give me a wierd look when I say "at home"

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by el presidente Highsteppa

Sporting events alone somewhat doesn't seem right to me. Partly because the whole purpose seems communal, and there's often sub communes (you and your friends) that make up part of the larger commune (the home team crowd). Sounds silly, but it's all good.

Thats where I get the most reaction - sporting events. I go to them alone all the time - more often alone than not (I go to alot of sports events). It's not a matter of not wanting to go with others, its more that most of my friends just don't really care to go.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
no, but I have gone solo and people have asked "where are your friends/group" and give me a wierd look when I say "at home"

Really? I get the same thing. I don't care, I just don't understand the perplexed look I get.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
did you get tickets tot he world cup of hockey kev? are they singles?

Yep. I asked around, but no one else wanted to go. But I want to, so I am.
I also have single Jays season seats.

Thats where I get the most reaction - sporting events. I go to them alone all the time - more often alone than not (I go to alot of sports events). It's not a matter of not wanting to go with others, its more that most of my friends just don't really care to go.

And again, I kind of understand that, since sports are often about teams, and people are often mimicking the action on the court, ice and so on. It's silly, but when we admire or feel attracted or feel a rapport with someone or some organization, we often mimic or imitate their behaviour.

Really the same could be said for concerts, since a band is really a team of people coming together to make a particular sound (which isn't really the case with some electronic artists).

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
I find that I pay more attention to the game when I'm alone - which is a good thing.

I guess maybe it would make sense that if you weren't a big of fan of whatever sport you were watching, you'd want someone to interact with.