• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Doing some kind of routing onto a wireless

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Hey all!
I am trying to connect to the internet through my notebook onto a wireless network. For the notebook its ok but the problem is I want another machine to also connect through my computer via the 802.1 port. Is there a way I can do this on XP and if so how. I do have a wireless router but I found out that it can not do bridging on the wireless side. I am not trying to buy another connection either as this internet is free via wireless for my building.

Configs badly needed!

:)

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ibiza911
Try "connection sharing" using a cross over cable to the other computer!!

I have conections and block sync already. I just need to try and get them to route. :confused:

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
"connection sharing" is the bridging software built into XP that will route your incoming packets wireless or otherwise to another connection attached to that computer.

Your laptop will route the packets to the other machine, but it does take some processor power to do so, so using a laptop as the router in connection sharing isn't always the ideal.

A wireless card for the other machine might be a better solution, and they cost about as much as a long crossover cable too.