• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

doing business with Chinese peeps....advice needed

adorablehomeboy

TRIBE Promoter
K I'm not trying to be racist here, or try to offend anyone, I'm being totally serious.

I know that Eastern philosophy is different from Western, ie, one reason why Japan's banking system is fuct is because they honour the friendship before the transaction...

Or how Korean storekeepers in LA were accidently pissing off people because they were accustomed to putting people's change on the counter and not in their hand and looking them in the eye...

So I'm looking for some help with some things to do/watch out for in general in regards to people that are not far removed from their Chinese heritage...

thx

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Bass-Invader
never offer a price that contains 4 or 2.
Isn't it 4 or 7 that they avoid? Hence the reason that my parents' other house (#47) didn't sell to an Chinese person, even though they were in a community with many Chinese (Unionville). They apparently also don't like having the front entrance having stairs in front of it.

Cheers ... Ian :)

Liquidity

TRIBE Member
in japan they give you change in a nice little tray. i think its to avoid physical contact - probably a class thing.

um, maybe it would be easier if you let us know what kind of business you'll be doing? (could be a big difference between contract negotiations and how to tip your "masseur")

CLUSTER

TRIBE Member
ROTF at this thread!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I didnt even read the main post, just the respones based on the thread title.

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
no matter what you do, it will never be right.

Oh...

wait...

that's "being the child of Chinese parents...advice needed"

DeepSix

TRIBE Promoter
on the number thing, 8 is good, 4 is bad.

0ther "Chinese-isms"

red is good.

don't stick your chopsticks in the rice when you're done eating.

I think I may get arrested for giving away "trade secrets"...

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Why don't you tell us what the situation is and what kind of business you're doing and then we'll talk.

CHINESE DO NOT LIKE VAGUENESS.

defazman

TRIBE Member
Our VP of sales does a lot of buisiness with China, and his advice is to go out and get rip roaring drunk with them.

Katman

TRIBE Member
My 2 cents:

In general terms I have found that Chinese people (or Asian cultures in general) talk "around" issues. Western culture tends to be more direct when deal dealing with issues, while Asian cutures have a more delicate way of dealing with problems- they general expect people to "read between the lines" when discussing problems. Communications can be difficult at times because of this.

Balzz

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Soundstream
Isn't it 4 or 7 that they avoid? Hence the reason that my parents' other house (#47) didn't sell to an Chinese person, even though they were in a community with many Chinese (Unionville). They apparently also don't like having the front entrance having stairs in front of it.

4 and 7 in combination could sound like definite death. Not usually a good thing...

Klubmasta Will

TRIBE Member
first of all, china is a big place. business or other customs that exist in some parts of china do not exist in others. beijing is, for example, very different from hong kong.

the majority of "chinese business people" doing deals in canada are from hong kong, which means they are somewhat familiar with western business culture.

advice: do not ask if they know kung-fu. (they do. we all do.)

Soundstream

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Balzz
4 and 7 in combination could sound like definite death. Not usually a good thing...
Exactly why my parents killed every Chinese person that tried to buy their property.

Evil Dynovac

TRIBE Member
More important than being culturally savvy is the need for you to be honest, clear, helpful, and sincere... and don't say this is obvious because the people who truly bring these attributes to the business table NEVER take them as a given.

Be aware that you are attempting to generate trust. A smart business person will trust an honest foriegner over a dishonest countryman ever time.