• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Dog Wheelchairs HELP!

annec

TRIBE Member
I'm in need of a doggy wheelchair--all google sites lead to US-based makers.

Does anyone know a local handy metal-worker who could help my family fashion a contraption for our beloved g/shepherd/chow-chow?

His back legs are totally gone from hip displaysia, and b/c he's a big dog, his front legs are getting weak because he's too heavy to drag himself.
I'm sad b/c his quality of life can be better and it's hard for elderly family to help.

I can sew and know friends who can sew, so creating a harness is no problem. It's just the aluminum frame we need help with.

Please and thanks!

crazedcanuck

TRIBE Member
For god's sake, do the right thing and put the poor animal down.

Making your loved pet suffer @ this degree of illness, is selfish.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

fear_of_fours

TRIBE Member
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

If your dog is in a lot of pain, and can no longer walk, be a fucking adult and have it put down.

groovespinna

TRIBE Member
I'd like to hear what the dog has to say before I cast my judgement.

in other news, Im never fucking staying home on a saturday ever again.
this is insanely boring.

acheron

TRIBE Member
one of our neighbours has their pooch in one of these - but the dog's healing a broken leg, so it's going to get better.

damn, all it needs is a head-cone and it's full-on gimp dog time!

annec

TRIBE Member
fear_of_fours said:
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

If your dog is in a lot of pain, and can no longer walk, be a fucking adult and have it put down.

Oh, I'm going to take advice from someone from Brampton that tells the world they threw up in their mouths.

The dog has some spunk, if not mobility, so go fuck yourselves, whiny bitches.
That said, I will now get a contraption made for him.

The Tesseract

TRIBE Member
annec said:
Oh, I'm going to take advice from someone from Brampton that tells the world they threw up in their mouths.
she didn't say she threw up. she said she thinks she's about to.
that point aside... those little wheelchair things typically only work on smaller dogs. If your pooch has hip dysplasia, there's a good chance there are other bad things in store for it. The best thing to do, is to have them put to sleep.
I know this is not something you want to do, but you really need to consider the feelings of the animal.

DAYN

TRIBE Member
Dont Listen to them!!

I have worked in a few veterinary clinics as well as owning 5 cats a boxer and 2 rats. Our one cat broke her back leg and we had to discuss the possibilty of a wheel chair in the future. So I know where ur coming from.
As long as the animal isnt in pain when it uses the chair-which may relieve the pain and the dog will acually like the chair-and is still having a good quality of life then of course do it!!!
Its apparent that the people saying to put it down have not had the opportunity of really making a bond with an animal.
If all it takes it hooking your animal up in a wheelchair and they are happy(Which they end up loving the chair because they get there mobility back) vs putting your best friend down I think it should be obvious what to do.
When you take on an animal it is your responsibility to do what it takes to make that animals life a good one. And these chairs have given alot of animals a new lease on life.
I wish i was around when the people against the chairs get old and have issues moving around. No chair for u. We'll just kill u. Sounds fair eh?
My fiancee is a fitter/welder and if he had the materials he and his co-workers could make something Im sure. Id even be willing to go to the owner myself and get his ok-nice PR thing!!
Dayn :mad:

Last edited:

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
annec said:

The dog has some spunk, if not mobility, so go fuck yourselves, whiny bitches.
That said, I will now get a contraption made for him.
I agree with you. It's a hard decision. If the dog is on medication and not in pain, then do what you can for him. Putting my last dog to sleep (Which I had for 10 years) was the hardest decision I ever had to make. But he had congestive heart failure....and his last attack was so bad, I just couldn't prolong it even more...even though the vet said they could do this, and this.. When I asked her if she could cure him? and would he get better? She looked at me and told me that..no. he would get worse.. I will never forget that day. He was my baby..and I will never forget 'Hobo' :(

I feel for you. Give him love. Make sure he's comfortable. Only you will know when it is time..

djfear

TRIBE Member
I had to put my dog down last May. Saddest shit to do, but it was even sadder to see him suffer the last few months (he also had hip dysplacia and arthritis). At the end he just didn't have the will to get up.

I'd love to get another dog but I'll probably wait when I have a big backyard and a bungalo (it's difficult for big dogs to keep running up and down stairs). The thing I miss most is getting home and expecting a howling creature to greet you at the door.

rip.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
put the dog down.
yes, its your companion, showering you with love and affection.
but it has hip displasia...terminal.
its pain will only grow with time.
put it down.

Persephone

TRIBE Member
DAYN said:
I have worked in a few veterinary clinics as well as owning 5 cats a boxer and 2 rats. Our one cat broke her back leg and we had to discuss the possibilty of a wheel chair in the future. So I know where ur coming from.
As long as the animal isnt in pain when it uses the chair-which may relieve the pain and the dog will acually like the chair-and is still having a good quality of life then of course do it!!!
Its apparent that the people saying to put it down have not had the opportunity of really making a bond with an animal.
If all it takes it hooking your animal up in a wheelchair and they are happy(Which they end up loving the chair because they get there mobility back) vs putting your best friend down I think it should be obvious what to do.
When you take on an animal it is your responsibility to do what it takes to make that animals life a good one. And these chairs have given alot of animals a new lease on life.
I wish i was around when the people against the chairs get old and have issues moving around. No chair for u. We'll just kill u. Sounds fair eh?
My fiancee is a fitter/welder and if he had the materials he and his co-workers could make something Im sure. Id even be willing to go to the owner myself and get his ok-nice PR thing!!
Dayn :mad:
I 100% support this answer.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Persephone said:
I 100% support this answer.
agreed, but I would start preparing myself for the inevitable to ensure that I am being compasionate to the dog. When the time does come to make that difficult decision I'll know what the it is.

annec

TRIBE Member
Thanks for the responses. I'm compassionate, and mindful, not stupid, so please don't condescend when giving responses for me to "put the dog down".

I'm on the board to have fun, give advice, get advice and that means while I do respect what many of you write, I respect your opinions too.

Giving our dog mobility means he'll likely have another year or two of a loving home, and trust me, he deserves the best.

For the people so quick to put him down, you'd better ask yourselves the ethical question about: "geez, when my mom, dad, grandpa, grandma have aches and pains, and oh, might need a wheelchair" does this mean you're going to be as quick to tell the doctors to euthanize them, knowing full well they have their mental capacity intact and just need mobility, even though they have some pain? Or are you going to say, oh, fuck the pain, let's try to give you a decent enough life knowing aches and pains are natural towards the end?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Preroller

TRIBE Member
annec said:
Thanks for the responses. I'm compassionate, and mindful, not stupid, so please don't condescend when giving responses for me to "put the dog down".

I'm on the board to have fun, give advice, get advice and that means while I do respect what many of you write, I respect your opinions too.

Giving our dog mobility means he'll likely have another year or two of a loving home, and trust me, he deserves the best.

For the people so quick to put him down, you'd better ask yourselves the ethical question about: "geez, when my mom, dad, grandpa, grandma have aches and pains, and oh, might need a wheelchair" does this mean you're going to be as quick to tell the doctors to euthanize them, knowing full well they have their mental capacity intact and just need mobility, even though they have some pain? Or are you going to say, oh, fuck the pain, let's try to give you a decent enough life knowing aches and pains are natural towards the end?
RE your last point...they are humans, not animals, it's different.

squirrely

TRIBE Member
Preroller said:
RE your last point...they are humans, not animals, it's different.
i personally think it's different only in the respect that we have complete responsibility for the domesticated animals in our world. they can't tell us their personal wishes, and so we must make decisions on their behalf, and ensure that those decisions are in their best interest.

it's a hard to call to make -- the decision to euthanize a pet-- and i think objective opinions can be really helpful. annec, don't be so quick to dismiss some of the comments in this thread. speak with a trusted veterinarian as well. some dogs will push themselves literally to death, without ever letting on just how much pain they're in....

crazedcanuck

TRIBE Member
DAYN said:
Its apparent that the people saying to put it down have not had the opportunity of really making a bond with an animal

Yes, those of us concerned that the animal is suffering, and in dire pain, and hoping that it will be humanely treated, no matter the direction taken, are devoid of emotion, or connecting to animals. :rolleyes:

I guess the K was too freely available @ those clinics you worked @.

Assclown.

crazedcanuck

TRIBE Member
annec said:
I apologize for the condescending tone that may have come across, but I just finished carrying my grandmother's retriever down to her basement because she had splayed out, and emptied her bowels in the process. I love Amber, she's a great dog, but there is no option left for her. She's my grandmother's only friend, so it's especially hard to have to tell your withering grandma that you need to take her best friend to be euthanized.

Of course if your dog is in a state where the front is tip top, and the chair will take care of the back, then by all means, do it. However if it is a heavy dog, and is struggling, please weigh the benefits vs the cons for the dog. I was simply asking that the dog's well being be considered beyond personal attachment, a battle I've been fighting for near 2 days now @ home.