• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Dog Owners Thread

ian

TRIBE Member
Thanks guys.

So far I have not noticed any nasty poo but we'll use it as a treat rather than anything else - or keep feeding her zucchini, carrots, broccoli etc.

I just want to say I apreciate your colouring of your poo text.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

afterglow

TRIBE Member
Any decent dog parks in Toronto? I want to keep my dog socialized while I'm visiting with him. He needs small dog puppy play dates.

emiwee

TRIBE Member
When are you in town? Higgs is with me on Tuesdays, and we're in the entertainment district - there's a park just at wellington and spadina.

If it's not terrible weather tomorrow and you're headed to the park, give me a call and Hannah and I will pop down to visit with you and the Higgs!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kuba

TRIBE Member
My bitch has developed these "cold sores". They look like little mini cauliflower heads on her lips, and they are growing. Yes - I know - obvious answer "go see a vet". We are going tomorrow. In the meantime it does not look like it bothers here. I googled some info and it said its normal and will fall off eventually. We're going to see the vet for another issue but anyone ever had this before? I wish I had a picture to show.

skin deep

TRIBE Member
Me and my lady friend just split up after a really long relationship. About 1 year ago we acquired this dog, a wonderful pekingese, which I get to keep. I'm wondering if anybody has any tips for what I can do to keep her from getting bored while I'm at work. I was thinking about getting her a cat, but she has an affinity for eating shit, so I don't think this would be the greatest idea. Would also make it harder to go on vacation.

Should I get a dog walker or something, or just see how she does then worry about it later?

kyfe

TRIBE Member
My bitch has developed these "cold sores". They look like little mini cauliflower heads on her lips, and they are growing. Yes - I know - obvious answer "go see a vet". We are going tomorrow. In the meantime it does not look like it bothers here. I googled some info and it said its normal and will fall off eventually. We're going to see the vet for another issue but anyone ever had this before? I wish I had a picture to show.

they're just growth and eventually they will fall off, nothing to get alarmed about, haley had one on her eyelid and elbow, alfie has one on his lip. it's just excess skin, no need to waste money on a vet

m0ff

TRIBE Member
Me and my lady friend just split up after a really long relationship. About 1 year ago we acquired this dog, a wonderful pekingese, which I get to keep. I'm wondering if anybody has any tips for what I can do to keep her from getting bored while I'm at work. I was thinking about getting her a cat, but she has an affinity for eating shit, so I don't think this would be the greatest idea. Would also make it harder to go on vacation.

Should I get a dog walker or something, or just see how she does then worry about it later?

My dog is @ home while I'm @ work during the day. I'm sure to get her outside to play for at least half an hour before I go to work in the morning, especially in the summer. In the winter she's a little more docile, and just tends to run around inside while I'm getting ready.
I have a cat, and I am soooo happy I have him. They keep each other company during the day. Rory (dog) chills in her kennel, and Toby (cat) chills on my bed beside her kennel.
Rory occassionally sticks her head in the cat's litter box, but as long as you're vigilant about reinforcing that eating cat pooh isn't a good behaviour, your pooch will eventually get it. (I think most dogs like eating pooh to be honest, it's something you just can't get around)
In her kennel during the day Rory gets 2 of her favourite stuffed toys, 2 bones, her blankie and her bed, and she does well. When I get home at night I run her around in the backyard for a solid 45-1hr depending on the weather, and we snuggle on the couch, and then I run her in the backyard again for another 45-1hr in the evening.

If your dog isn't used to being at home the entire day by herself I would definitely recommend getting a dogwalker for the first little while. As far as I know, Peke's tend to get destructive when they experience separation anxiety - actually I think that's most dogs - but yah, a dog walker would definitely ease the pooch into the transition, and it will be easier on you as well.

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
skin deep, the best advice i have for ya is when you are at home, give the dog as much attention as possible. lots of walks and basically tire her out as much as possible.

a tired dog wont be as much of a problem when you are not home...

skin deep

TRIBE Member
She's incredibly well behaved, I just don't want her to be sad, more than I'm worried about her doing shit to my place. :)

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Peke's tend to get destructive when they experience separation anxiety

Whatever would give you that idea? :p

Peke's don't require huge amounts of "activity" per say, they're pretty lazy most of the time, but like Mel said, they need attention when you ARE around.
The do well with other animals, and that really is the optimum environment for them, having another dog around for them to spend that alone time with.
When our Shih-tzu died, our Peke went loopy being left home alone, and when my parents went on vacation and I took care of him at my place for a week, that lead to the "blinds" incident.

Sadly ours had to be put down last week at only 6 years of age due to a degenerative disease that is apparently common in Pekes which can cause a calcifying of the discs in their spine. I would suggest asking your vet about preventative treatments that might be available to avoid this.
He was our 3rd Peke and they are great dogs. I hope you have many happy years with yours.

Oh also if you've got pictures I'd love to see her.

m0ff

TRIBE Member
She's incredibly well behaved, I just don't want her to be sad, more than I'm worried about her doing shit to my place. :)

I know this may sound all kinds of crazy, but when Rory was experiencing some separation anxiety I would put whatever shirt I wore to bed the night before in her kennel with her during the day. My neighbors told me that after I did that they didn't hear a peep from her, and when I came home at night Rory was burrowed right in the shirt and happy as a clam.

skin deep

TRIBE Member
I don't have a kennel for her and definitely won't be getting one for her. Hopefully my shirt thrown on the floor will have the same effect.

Bass-Invader

TRIBE Member
I know this may sound all kinds of crazy, but when Rory was experiencing some separation anxiety I would put whatever shirt I wore to bed the night before in her kennel with her during the day. My neighbors told me that after I did that they didn't hear a peep from her, and when I came home at night Rory was burrowed right in the shirt and happy as a clam.

that is why dogs are so cute.

are clams happy?

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
I don't have a kennel for her and definitely won't be getting one for her. Hopefully my shirt thrown on the floor will have the same effect.

Our Peke was always a big fan of that. My mom would throw old housecoats down, and that became a temporary bed for a few days.
Leaving the radio on during the day seems to help a little too.

kuba

TRIBE Member
kyfe- i'm going to the vet anyway for the 1 year checkup so I'll ask while I'm there.

It doesn't appear to be much, but it's still U G L Y.

TRIBE Member

Is it a puppy that you take to the dog park? If so it's probably just papilloma. It's a Virus that will go away on it's own. Once she's had it once it shouldn't ever return.

kuba

TRIBE Member
I hoped it would have gone away by now, but it's been a while (2 weeks) and growing.

She's not a puppy per-se, 1 year old actually.

Thx!

Jake, dog warts last a while and some will never drop off. Those ones are usually burned/cut out depending on the size and location.

It'll take 6-8 weeks or longer to know if they're going to last or require actual removal. A vet should check them out to make sure none are growing down her throat - those will have to be removed.

dobermanmom

TRIBE Member
Not trying to spam but if anyone needs someone to provide dog walking/boarding downtown (near King & Spadina) just shoot me a PM.