• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Dog Owners Thread

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
Yeah we just finished the intermediate course at Petsmart. The training has gone well enough. They enjoy being challenged. If you can make something into a game then they're completely up for it.

We've come to accept that while she's well behaved in the house and on leash, when she's off leash it's a free-for all and we just have to try and keep her near us.

AlyG

TRIBE Member
Well Chauncey's been bitten twice in the past month after almost a year and a 1/2. Since he was goofy adolescent really. These are bites, not nips.

First it was a Wirehaired Pointing Griffon (ugliest dog alive grabbed him by either cheekbone and bit him on the face) and now a crazy Shi Tzu in my neighbourhood (sketchy dog screamed like it was being bitten as it lunged for his shoulder and sank its teeth in). In both experiences he was saying hi in dog-speak...sniff butts and noses. Calm, cool and collected.

He's two, realtively well behaved for his age, fixed, socialized...but big and dark brown. Anyone else have this happen at this age? What's up?

Down with biting dogs! Stupid ass owners. :mad:

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
Generalization: Shi Tzu's are not friendly dogs with other dogs or kids, they suffer from small dog syndrome, have a very short or non existent fuse and tend to go from looking social to lunging without notice or yelping bloody murder without provocation, also their owners never really train them probably because they are dumb as hell and virtually untrainable. They are a lap dog that really only likes their preferred owner.

Plus their hair grows non stop, they become a mop and you can't usually see their faces unless recently groomed which makes judging their demeanor a bit difficult.

I'd stay away from all shi tzu's unless you know their owner and they've reaffirmed their social prowess.

Last edited:

Silverback92

TRIBE Member
When ever I see another dog come our way I always move onto the grass, and just let them go by. Staying out of striking distance in case the other dog is a shithead. If the other owner wants to meet my guy I always ask how is your dog with others?

Be a good idea to learn dogs body language, so you'll know if the other one is acting friendly. A lot of people get fooled by the wagging tail, it doesn't always mean their acting friendly.

AlyG

TRIBE Member
Yah, I may be a bit lazy these days after having such a long streak of good luck. I usually watch the owner to get the first hints...they'll usually tell you if something is up by their nervousness or body language. Hell, the shi tzu's walker (teenage girl) started apologising before anything happened...my fault, I should have picked up.

The wirehair was when we were at the off leash dog beach. We've had a few warning barks and powerful play sessions, but no puncture wounds like that day. I just grab him and get the hell out of there when something happens.

I'm trying not to generalize about breeds either but sometimes I want to write a tersely worded letter to the city demanding the ban of wirehaired pointing griffons and now shi tzus. So crazy!

I would never *shifty eye*

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

MoFo

TRIBE Member
A study just came out that suggested that your dogs don't actually give a shit about you and cannot read your emotions at all. They read your behaviour. Suck it dog owners.
Also, you read dog's behaviour too so there's not actually a surefire way to read their emotions.

So stop telling me how much your stupid dog loves you.

The Watcher

TRIBE Member
A study just came out that suggested that your dogs don't actually give a shit about you and cannot read your emotions at all. They read your behaviour. Suck it dog owners.
Also, you read dog's behaviour too so there's not actually a surefire way to read their emotions.

You obviously know nothing about dog ownership or relations, but thanks for your opinion.

Silverback92

TRIBE Member
Another good idea is to buy a big dog, it'll solve those biting problems real quick. Maybe not in court, but on the streets you'll be ok.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Spinsah

TRIBE Member

You love dogs too! You just love eating them. Eating them alongside overflowing bowls of shark fin soup.

Monsters. All of you people.

But behaviour wise, there is certainly merit to the statement that dogs read that and not emotions. But with the two closely linked in humans, the point is rather moot. The relationship between dog and master does not mean there is "love" between them, rather that the human emotion is projected on the relationship. However, that doesn't invalidate the feelings one has towards their animals.

Silverback92

TRIBE Member
I just started my guy on the whole prey model raw. I bought 14, 2 lb chickens today. $1.50lb . I cut one in half then held it while he tore and crunched the crap out of it. At first he was just staring at it so after 20mins I said enough so I grabbed the damn thing and he ate it out of my hand. Now we wait to see how his poops go before we start on the next protein, I won't be standing behind him when he goes :O

Silverback92

TRIBE Member
I'm shopping for another Collar...Would White look good on a Rottie, I'm thinking it would? ( be different, I never see white leather)

the one that I'm looking at is at 1:55 of the video this company is in Aussie land. I don't want the spikes so I would ask them to replace that crap with something else. They cost $80 Canadian.

[YOUTUBE]FGsccPlzX7o[/YOUTUBE]

Silverback92

TRIBE Member
I think I'll replace that stupid looking fake painting in the frame with my beeaatch photo the rocks and sky will blend in nice with the paint

Silverback92

TRIBE Member
my dog keeps licking her paw, constantly.

she used to do it in the winter because of salt, til we helped her out with cream + booties and it went away.

For the licking I just went through this with mine, it was yeast. I used Raw Apple cider vinegar( Omega Nutrition brand) to kill it and it worked no more licking and his paw pad has healed. I just wiped it onto his paws and areas where he was licking. ( the ACV kills yeast) If there's open sore dilute it 50-50 til it heals then use 100% ACV.

For the winter keep using the boot road salt will destroy dog pads and it stings like a mother, and that shit is poison to dogs wipe their feet off when they come in so they don't lick it.

Another thing I found for digestive upset is Chamomile Tea instead of the shit vets give, maybe Pepto Bismos?

I went through hell from friday til monday. He missed 5 meals cus of digestive upset. I discovered the tea and he was back eating Monday night. I found out there's a part of the lamb bone that doesn't agree with him, so no more of that shit. When he felt better he would let out a big stretch then I knew he was on his way back to eating.

The Calming Herb Chamomile - Whole Dog Journal Article

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Just a note to you dog owners, when the door bell rings or there's a knock on the door, or you're expecting a guest or any such thing whatsoever similar, keep your fucking mutt dog locked up in a room somewhere until it calms down, cause we don't all love your pooch as much as you do. Especially when it claws our pants and drools on our crotch. Just get a cat already.

-jM
A&D

acheron

TRIBE Member
Just a note to you dog owners, when the door bell rings or there's a knock on the door, or you're expecting a guest or any such thing whatsoever similar, keep your fucking mutt dog locked up in a room somewhere until it calms down, cause we don't all love your pooch as much as you do. Especially when it claws our pants and drools on our crotch. Just get a cat already.

-jM
A&D
If you're going over to a friend's place and you know they have a dog, expect that the dog will be excited about your arrival and want to check you out. Keeping the dog locked in a room away from you will do nothing to diminish the dog's enthusiasm.