• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Dog Owners Thread

Spinsah

TRIBE Member
Mel cut your vet bill in half by not doing the heartworm test.

Huge scam right there.
Why is it a scam? I still have to get Bea in for the test, but might avoid doing so, if the reasoning is sound. Do you still do the meds?

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Why is it a scam? I still have to get Bea in for the test, but might avoid doing so, if the reasoning is sound. Do you still do the meds?
Put it this way, you are giving your dog Medication in the hopes of preventing a disease. Aside from vitamins I don't know of anyone that takes medication in the hopes of not getting something.

If your pet gets heartworm, it can be cured in the early stages. So doing the test every few years is not a bad idea.

The reality of heartworm is if you have an outdoor pet then there is a greater exposure to heartworm. But if you have an indoor dog that you take to leash free and up to the cottage a few times a year you really have a low chance of contracting heartworm.

Haley our beagle had 1 heartworm test and took advantage for one summer then I spoke to another vet that told me it was a way to make money and if my beagle was a hunting he might suggest it.

Take a look outside the propaganda and educate yourself. I raise my pets as naturally as possible, polluting their system with foreign drugs is no a smart decision.

mingster

TRIBE Member
Put it this way, you are giving your dog Medication in the hopes of preventing a disease. Aside from vitamins I don't know of anyone that takes medication in the hopes of not getting something.
while i don't disagree with this in theory, the cost of treating a dog for ANYTHING they might get sick with is WAY more than treating a person who contracts a virus or fungus or pest of some sort. anyone who's had to actually treat a pet at the vet's knows this.

in regards to treating heartworm if you catch it early enough, do you know how long it takes for heartworms to cause severe damage? how soon is early enough?

i don't really have an issue if people don't want to check and prevent heartworm infestations in their pets, but i consider it my job to make sure my animals don't get sick, and i know that i would feel terrible if i took them to the vet one day cause they were sluggish and sick and found out they had worms living in their heart. : (

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

kyfe

TRIBE Member
some good info here.

HEARTWORM FACTS, THE TRUTH ABOUT HEARTWORM

looks like it takes anywhere from 5-8 months for a larvae to become an adult worm, so she recommends testing twice a year in order to catch it early enough to treat.
I agree with pretty much everything that link states, I have yet to meet a dog owner who has lost a dog to heartworm. That's in spending 13 years at dog parks and talking with owners, lots of cancer & old age but no heartworm.

Having said that I'm sure a dog can develop heartworm but it's not the epidemic they are making it out to be nor is it of concern to most urban animals. Getting the test every few years is the most one really needs to do to be preventative. Good dog owners know when their dogs mood, appetite or health changes and having a better understanding of that will do more than any of the heartworm meds will do.

Silverback92

TRIBE Member
If you want to save money at the vets, the next time that you get shots done for your dog. Wait 3 weeks after, then get a Titer test done so you know if the shot took to the dog. It takes 3 weeks for the shot to settle in, then you can get a proper reading of a antibody count. Only get a test done against Parvo and Distemper, you don't need a rabies titer done since the bullshit law says we have to get the Rabies shot done every 3 years.

If the vet try's to charge you $300 , shop around til you find a place that only charges between $70 to $100. Once the test comes back saying the dog is protected, it won't need shots ever again. ( unless you travel over the border) then you have to show proof that the dog is up to date. So it may need shots then since the border doesn't go by a Titer test.

Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol

Ditch the multi advantage, it's an over kill for what they MIGHT get. If you're going the pill route then the safest one is Heartgard (against heartworm and fleas) the chemicals only stay in the dogs system for 24 hours ,unlike the other crap that stays in the blood stream for months. To save on pills and to save the dog from taking more than needed ,you can give the dog 1 pill every 45 days instead of every 30. Or even at every 60 days the pills are still 99% effective. So that's only 3 per season, instead of giving it 6.

Heartworm Disease and your Dog - Holistic Veterinary Center, Concord New Hampshire

Keep track of the temperatures on your calendar that'll even save you more.

Heartworm prevention isn't medication, it's a pesticide.(poison to our pets)

Last edited:

Deus

TRIBE Member
If you want to save money at the vets, the next time that you get shots done for your dog. Wait 3 weeks after, then get a Titer test done so you know if the shot took to the dog. It takes 3 weeks for the shot to settle in, then you can get a proper reading of a antibody count. Only get a test done against Parvo and Distemper, you don't need a rabies titer done since the bullshit law says we have to get the Rabies shot done every 3 years.

If the vet try's to charge you $300 , shop around til you find a place that only charges between $70 to $100. Once the test comes back saying the dog is protected, it won't need shots ever again. ( unless you travel over the border) then you have to show proof that the dog is up to date. So it may need shots then since the border doesn't go by a Titer test.

Dr-Dodds-ChangingVaccProtocol

Ditch the multi advantage, it's an over kill for what they MIGHT get. If you're going the pill route then the safest one is Heartgard (against heartworm and fleas) the chemicals only stay in the dogs system for 24 hours ,unlike the other crap that stays in the blood stream for months. To save on pills and to save the dog from taking more than needed ,you can give the dog 1 pill every 45 days instead of every 30. Or even at every 60 days the pills are still 99% effective. So that's only 3 per season, instead of giving it 6.

Heartworm Disease and your Dog - Holistic Veterinary Center, Concord New Hampshire

Keep track of the temperatures on your calendar that'll even save you more.

Heartworm prevention isn't medication, it's a pesticide.(poison to our pets)
Also you can buy vaccines at drug stores and DIY--if you're comfortable with giving injections. However, it this will not go on your dog's official record if you ever need it for any reason, say travelling.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Silverback92

TRIBE Member
the vet told us that we could give heartworm preventative without having the test done
This what gets me about vets first they say the dog has to be tested before they could give you the preventatives or the dog could die from the pills if it has heartworm. On the other side if the dogs does test positive for heartworm the pills are the very first thing that they give them to get rid of it. lol

I'm keeping track of the temps it isn't heartworm season yet don't listen to that heartworm begins june. Been 3 days in a row above 57F. ( 24hrs straight) not even close to the season unless we get 10 -14 straight day/night 24hr temps at or above 80F.

kuba

TRIBE Member
my dog keeps licking her paw, constantly.

she used to do it in the winter because of salt, til we helped her out with cream + booties and it went away.

now she's doing it. i looked at it many times and can't find nothing there. normal behaviour or something to check out?

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
My Serena at Woofstock:

People were really loving on the jersey.

This place was AMAZING for helping to socialize my 10 month old pup and getting her used to big crowds!

Dr. Grinch

TRIBE Member
misha looks like/may be this dog i see around... my favourite in the city! what a fox.
It's a Shiba Inu puppy.
There's a few in Toronto. They're a relatively obscure breed. Also very different personalities from most dogs. Strong willed and very independent. Some might say "difficult" :p

Here's a picture of mine.

derek

TRIBE Member
shiba's are an 'old' breed. not much has changed in their genetic stock over the last few thousand years. they can be a bit stubborn to train, as you're probably discovering, but are extremely intelligent. strong prey drive too, so be careful in off-leash area unless you've have them trained to stay or come when called.

start training early and make sure it's consistent. it will pay in dividends.

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories