• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Does Oblivion Suck?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Just when I need to see a new scince fiction movie; Tom Cruise is in it. Jeez.

He's always ridden the trends in movies - when Vietnam movies were hot, he did Born on the Fourth of July; romantic comedies - Jerry MaGuire; reboot of old tv shows - Mission:Impossible. He always manages to do these big films to balance out the smaller projects that he gets involved with, like Magnolia.

The one thing I was kind of surprised that he never really jumped on was playing a super hero, before Robert Downey Jr. was involved, they had him pegged as playing Iron Man.

He's simply savvy enough to jump on whatever "safe" bandwagon that is coming along, to make that film. He'll never do something that threatens his image too much - like a horror film.

Oh yeah, and he's got three more sci fi films coming out in the next few years.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
Despite his personal life, I don't find Tom that bad of an actor, I think some people immediately want to approach one of his movies with skeptism because of him and his cult. Whatevs

The last Mission Impossible was pretty cool.

I wouldn't see Oblivion in theatres though, because it looks kind of meh. I'll wait for Elysium for my sci-fi blockbuster, that's the one.

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya he always does better than I want him too...stupid Tom Cruise, having a bit of acting talent... damn you scientology for teching him up sufficiently to make some movies not so bad to watch sometimes!!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Bacchus

TRIBE Promoter
Ya he always does better than I want him too...stupid Tom Cruise, having a bit of acting talent... damn you scientology for teching him up sufficiently to make some movies not so bad to watch sometimes!!
i attribute it to the movies, and not his acting talent :p

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
The reviews of Oblivion are not the best, although some are saying to go see it in 3D or Imax or whatever because the visuals are pretty impressive. I may do that. The movie did so well at the box office this past weekend and I don't think it is TOm Cruise drawing then in - I think people are just jonesing to see a good science fiction movie.

Persephone

TRIBE Member
I saw Oblivion on the weekend. To me it was entertaining, though there were some cliche moments and the messaging was really obvious. The biggest red flag for me was the radiation exemption perimeter - the shape of the perimeter really seemed more man-made than anything that would be caused by radiation resulting from a war/weaponry. But then again, its no wonder that the characters didn't recognise this inconsistency as their memories had been wiped.

Probably the worst part of the movie was the music - overly dramatic. Or maybe overly triumphant is a better description.

The movie takes a long time to get to the looming question/decision that the main character must face.

Special effects were cool, but not overdone - more like reigned-in.

my semi-arbitrary rating is 6/10.

oeretS

TRIBE Member
Probably the worst part of the movie was the music - overly dramatic
that's unfortunate to hear since the score was done by Anthony Gonzalez / M83, who is consistently brilliant imo. That said, if you know that band you know how melodramatic the music can be, maybe it didn't suit this film...

For the record I can't stand an overly dramatic score either, the climax of Inception is almost unwatchable for me due to that overwrought crap

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Persephone

TRIBE Member
that's unfortunate to hear since the score was done by Anthony Gonzalez / M83, who is consistently brilliant imo. That said, if you know that band you know how melodramatic the music can be, maybe it didn't suit this film...

For the record I can't stand an overly dramatic score either, the climax of Inception is almost unwatchable for me due to that overwrought crap
Imagine climax-like music happening about 3 times before the climax was even reached.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
visuals and sound were cool. reminded me a bit of "moon" before it got all matrixy

Moon was terrific and shows what can be done with the sci genre without expensive stars, overblown cgi, hollywood endings.

lobo

TRIBE Member
I heard that this movies borrows heavily from the sci-fi movies of the 70s on purpose. Kind of like a tribute to all the cool sci-fi movies of back then. I'm intrigued to see it but I might wait for the bluray in this case.

Lobo

dg0425

TRIBE Member
I take it you haven't seen jack reacher.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
I wouldn't see Oblivion in theatres though, because it looks kind of meh. I'll wait for Elysium for my sci-fi blockbuster, that's the one.
I was really looking forward to Elysium, but I read the production script someone leaked online, and I'm less excited about Elysium now. Without spoiling it, I found it rather less original than District 9, and I'm afraid that some of its core conceits will seem dated once it is out.. I'll still see it in the theatre though!

jack reacher was BAD
+1 on that.

sianspherica

TRIBE Member
I was really looking forward to Elysium, but I read the production script someone leaked online, and I'm less excited about Elysium now. Without spoiling it, I found it rather less original than District 9, and I'm afraid that some of its core conceits will seem dated once it is out.. I'll still see it in the theatre though!

+1 on that.
You actually read a script of a giant hundred million dollar sci-fi blockbuster and that's enough reason for you to be discouraged about its prospects?

Why ruin the surprise?

1. Scripts change all the time
2. I don't think anyone realistic is thinking he can top District 9
3. I'll wait until the final movie is finished and I'm in front of a giant screen to judge it

/IMO

AgentSanchez

TRIBE Promoter
I found the character's and writing to be a little... I dunno.... hard to swallow. In the context of a fictional sci-fi story that was, in and of itself, decent, it was still a bit hard to swallow. I constantly found myself detached from the story/characters and questioning things because the characters and their actions were not believable.... Also, it seemed LOOONG.... for the last half I was kind of waiting for it to end.

chooch

TRIBE Member
didn't see this movie personally, but my parents did and my mom hated it. two hours of Tom Cruise was too much for her and the fact his charachter is cloned 5 times, or whatever, to her just showed that Cruise didn't want other actors involved in the movie with him. she so hates him. lol.