• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

does jungle still exist?

smile

TRIBE Member
who's making jungle records still?

i'm not making fun, i really would like to know, been out of the loop for a while.

AVE

TRIBE Member
pretty much everyone who was making them before, as well as 10,000 others who own computers now, thinking that gives them the right to flood the market with crap.

you're not missing much, thats for sure ! drum&bass in the last year or two has been for the most part shite. There is still lots of good, its just outnumbered ten fold by the crap.

much like any genre i guess.

you dig, d-lo?

miss riot

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by AVE
pretty much everyone who was making them before, as well as 10,000 others who own computers now, thinking that gives them the right to flood the market with crap.

you're not missing much, thats for sure ! drum&bass in the last year or two has been for the most part shite. There is still lots of good, its just outnumbered ten fold by the crap.

much like any genre i guess.

you dig, d-lo?
I completely disagree with you. I think it's great that fans of dnb now have found a platform & feel confident to bring their own parts to the music they adore. Perhaps some of it is shit, perhaps some of it is not to your taste but I rather have more people producing tracks that maybe I don't like than your clique of producers that have been around forever that somehow get recognition.

Although the last 2 years have seen a lot of poo, there is so much music being made that is finally seeing the light of day & is going to be big for 2004 and beyond. I reckon it's so easy to just say jungle is poo right now because of what is being rinsed out at the big parties. But everything that becomes mainstream (even in a small scene) becomes diluted & is at much more liberty to lose what it may have had before.

But, more producers means a bigger scene & more exposure & more burgeoning talent & more chances for dnb to thrive & more venues to be the best thing in the world, in my ideal mind anyway. :D

Humanjava

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by smile
who's making jungle records still?

i'm not making fun, i really would like to know, been out of the loop for a while.
Hmmm Jungle you say, I must have been dreaming that they played that at the Goldie Event. Oh and that there are new releases coming out. Best part of the dream is it was not tech step.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
Re: Re: does jungle still exist?

Originally posted by Humanjava
Hmmm Jungle you say, I must have been dreaming that they played that at the Goldie Event. Oh and that there are new releases coming out. Best part of the dream is it was not tech step.
the whole tech-step surge was over years ago...but what's wrong with tech-step anyway?;)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

AVE

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by miss riot
But everything that becomes mainstream (even in a small scene) becomes diluted & is at much more liberty to lose what it may have had before.

exactly. I find theres so much shit out there that is basically jungle by numbers. boring, uninspired, head up its ass jungle.

yeah, more producers means more styles, more tunes, more fans, etc., but flooding the market with too many sub-par tunes isn't very good for the music.

Its great that there are new producers out there, coming from all over the place, but fuck, there needs to be some quality control on this shit! or maybe if the record buyers would just be a little more choosey in what they buy, instead of always picking up the latest(insert popular label here) release, producers would have incentive to make GOOD tunes. Tunes that stand the test of time, unlike 85% of the music out there now. Most of the tracks coming out seem to be practically throw-away, good for a week or two, then move on to the next track.

I'm not blaming an invasion of newcomers for this, really, veteran producers are just as guilty of putting out music that took them 10 minutes to make, because they know their name sells, and their label sells.

Then again, i'm really no expert on the subject at this time, as i have hardly listened to drum&bass for the last year or so. But my reasons for not listening to it are directly related to what i wrote above.

:)

ninja

TRIBE Member
I'm on the same page as Miss Riot
I think with more people making tracks there will be more competition which will lead to some really great stuff being made. I will agree the market is filled with shit. but some new comers like Cyantific. etc are making great stuff.
I think its the buyers responcibility to choose good tunes and everyone likes different stuff right .
$0.02

either way Jungle still exists.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
I personally think that DnB is getting big to the point that it's being divided much like the under/overground hip hop situation and it's starting to become a problem for young producers to get heard because what's HOT is basically what's HOOOOOT!...that's why a distorted minds tune will be favoured over a beta 2 tune...politics to an extent

PLATINUM VIBES

TRIBE Promoter
production quality in jungle drum n bass is the highest it's ever been. Many newcomers have already raised the bar and in my opinion, we haven't seen anything yet!

Jungle/drum n bass is definitely alive n kickin'

Kung Po Beef

TRIBE Member
Jungle music is alive and well and doing better than ever. Thanks for asking.

I was going to say something rude and sarcastic about the amount annoying ex-junglists dropping their 2 cents on a scene they've left behind but I've decided not to. :rolleyes:

Here's a tip...Hospital Records #13...that will show you how far the music's progressed since 1998.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Neo-Marxist

TRIBE Member
Too many cooks spoil the broth. New blood is good, but a lot of the D&B out there is sub-par. The problem I've noticed with jungle is that whenever a new sound comes out, everyone starts using it. Mind you, this isn't anything new, but it does seem to be out of hand. And then there is the dub plate problem ...