• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Does comprehensive auto insurance cover cracked windshields?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I was driving back from Durban last night and a stone flew off a passing truck and dinged my windshield. It began to crack almost immediately and the crack is about a foot long already.

I am wondering if anyone knows if comprehensive auto insurance policies usually cover this kind of thing - before I actually try to go ahead and submit a claim (and potentially raise my premiums).

Wondering about the cracked Egg....

acheron

TRIBE Member
you'll have to look at your policy directly - but at least in Canada you do see all those auto glass places talking about "we pay your deductible" for windshield replacement...

kyfe

TRIBE Member
It does and no your rates won't go up because of it. Although you may loose your claims free discount if you have one.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks.

My insurance finally got back to me and they will replace it but I have to fork out about $50, which is better than paying for the entire thing I guess.

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Thanks.

My insurance finally got back to me and they will replace it but I have to fork out about $50, which is better than paying for the entire thing I guess.
i guess that's your deductible, completely normal

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kyfe

TRIBE Member
no worries glad to help, keep posting your finds, I'm enjoying your little adventures.

hey, how much is your annual car insurance in S.A.? I've always assumed they'd be a little crazy but judging from your deductible I guess not

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
no worries glad to help, keep posting your finds, I'm enjoying your little adventures.

hey, how much is your annual car insurance in S.A.? I've always assumed they'd be a little crazy but judging from your deductible I guess not
I have it combined with my house insurance and it totals about $900 per year. Home values here are lower though and my car, the Egg, is only valued at around $4000 by the insurance company.

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Well I'm sure SA policies and Ontario policies differ...

But my experience with cracked windshields for when you return to not correspond to the info given here.

I was driving a brand new Rav 4, a work vehicle but given for personal use, when I got a stone chip and it cracked the windshield.

It seemed small to me so I didn't care much but my work made me get it fixed, and it was neither covered under insurance nor under warranty. So work had to shell out around $600 or something, and even that was expensive cause it was a heated windshield.

However, just a few weeks later the shield broke again, this time not because of any chip, but I noticed it in the morning during the winter and took it to the dealership. They said it was somehow improperly installed and they did cover the same repair work again to fix it, this time $0 charge.

That also happened again. Again, inspection, no rock chip, $0 charge.

Then it was the summer and maybe they installed the thing correctly finally and it never happened again.

So the moral of the story is that generally speaking I do not think insurance companies in Ontario cover am honest to goodness rock chip breakage but installers of windshields will guarantee their work.

-jM
A&D

kyfe

TRIBE Member
Jeffus, no clue, lots of mis-information being spewed.
your situation is much different since it's a work vehicle and based on your comment was owned by your employer. That type of vehicle would be insured on a fleet policy and likely have a higher deductible making it more cost effective to pay it directly out of pocket.

now if I may blow your mind for a second (no that's not an offer;)) stone chips are free to get repaired, usually cost around 80-100 to fix;) . fix it and submit the receipt to your insurer and they will reimburse you the full cost no questions asked

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Well, I guess I'm wrong. That's why everything about auto-insurance in Ontario is fucking AWESOME.

-jM
A&D