• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

does anyone have a dead relative still living with them?

kline

TRIBE Member
my grandmother just called to say hi, to see how i was and the regular familial nonsense but before i could get out the words, "it's good to hear fro--" she cut me off and asked me, and i quote, "so did you want your grandfather in silver or gold?".

this caught me off guard and i had to ask wtf she was trying to ask... apparently she's sending some of his ashes to everyone in the family in tiny tins that she found somewhere in their house.

obviously, after having that explained i came to the conclusion that she had silver and gold tins to choose from. i don't think i even want any but told her silver... does anybody actually keep ashes in the house anymore? i thought that's what those walls at the graveyards were for.

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

vveerrgg

TRIBE Promoter
I had considered taking an arm of my parents after they pass...

....that way they'd always be around to give me a hand.

emigre

TRIBE Member
On that note, the cemetery where my dad's ashes are buried had a rash of urn thefts recently so people could melt them down considering exorbitant metal prices.

edit: found the article, my bad, FLORAL VASES. slightly misleading headline.

Police suspect high price for bronze behind theft of 800 tombstone urns

May 23, 2007
Debra Black
Justin Piercy
Staff Reporters

John Willox and his girlfriend had hoped to place some flowers at her father's grave over the weekend. It was the second anniversary of his death and they wanted to mark it.

But when they arrived at Glendale Memorial Gardens in Toronto's west end they found the bronze flower vase mounted on the tombstone was gone. So were the vases on about a dozen other tombstones nearby, all part of an apparent theft of about 800 vases from the Albion Rd. cemetery.

The solid bronze vases were likely taken to be sold for scrap metal, said Detective Robert Gallant of Toronto Police's 23 Division. "My understanding is that it's a problem throughout the city."

If sold on the open market the vases would be worth a bundle; scrap metal dealers are currently buying bronze for about $2.50 a pound.

Bronze, copper and nickel thefts have been rampant worldwide as scrap metal prices have soared. But when contacted yesterday by the Star no other GTA cemeteries reported any thefts.

Last December a 5-metre tall bronze statue of Ukrainian poet Taras Shevchenko was stolen from a park in Oakville. Two men were charged after the head was taken to a Burlington recycler, who contacted police.

In the cemetary case, police have charged a 77-year-old man – whose wife is buried in the cemetery – after finding his car nearby with 60 stolen vases. Police are not releasing his name. No other charges have yet been laid in the theft of the other hundreds of vases.

But Willox and his girlfriend, who did not want to be identified, knew none of this when they went to her father's grave. "I thought they must be cleaning or doing something," he said. "These things are all made of bronze and weigh close to five pounds each."

The pair also visited the grave of her uncle, about 100 yards away. They found other graves nearby were also missing the vases. Willox went to the cemetery office to find out what was going on. He said he spoke to an unidentified official and was told police had been called and a man had been charged last month.

"It's unbelievable that somebody would do something like this and certainly we regret that the families who have their loved ones there have to go through this kind of upset," said Gary Carmichael, vice-president of government and corporate affairs for Memorial Gardens Canada, which owns Glendale Memorial Gardens.

The cemetery is trying to determine just how many vases were taken and from which graves, Carmichael said, and will then contact all families.

The cemetery has stepped up security and will be working with police to see if any other measures should be taken. Negotiations are now underway to replace the missing vases. Carmichael hopes at least some of them will be recovered by police and returned.

But Willox isn't satisfied. "We don't know if it had happened recently, a day or a week ago, or even been months since it happened. No one has received any notice over this, and I don't know if any other families know this has happened."

Willox said the cemetery has contacted the manufacturer to try to negotiate a deal where families would only have to pay 50 per cent of the replacement cost. "It just seems ridiculous to get the families to replace them ... and what about families that have no one left?" said Willox.

Carmichael, however, said the question of who will pay and how the bronze vases will be replaced is under "discussion."

Last edited:
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

kline

TRIBE Member
vveerrgg said:
I had considered taking an arm of my parents after they pass...

....that way they'd always be around to give me a hand.
if that was meant sincerely, it's a touching thought that you should share with them at an appropriate time.

if that was meant as a joke...
jokeib9.gif

annec

TRIBE Member
I don't understand why the families have to pay the replacement costs. That's fucking bullshit. I'd sue the cemetery for lax security and beat the old guy that was stealing them and fry him up and stick him in an urn and piss on it.

Casey

TRIBE Member
The Kid said:
my mum has our old dog an in urn she keeps by her nightstand.

creeeepy, mum.

:O

My mom has both our old cat Fide, and dog Moo cremated and keeps their ashes in little boxes in her closet. I think it's cute.

When my Grandfather died, his request was to be cremated, placed in a burlap sack, and then have the sack full of his remains placed on a bonfire on their property while his sons kicked a bucket around. Seriously. They kicked the bucket for him! He was an interesting fellow.

I wasn't there for this event, but I went to visit not long after and my dad was showing me the ashes on the ground. He even found a few small charred fragments of bone and picked them up to show me. I was pretty young, so I felt a bit uncomfortable with it. Now I think it's cool.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
My 'mom' passed away in February from a long battle with cancer. A large contingent of the family went down to Disney World this summer and secretly spread some of her ashes in flower beds around the park. My 'mom' and 'dad' have been going there every year for 30 years. They've been to every one actually. Her office was Disney World :) .

Well, when I asked my 'dad' where he had put the 'rest' of her (He has to hide the urn as their maid of over 30 years broke down sobbing everytime she saw it), said, "She couldn't drink anything before she died, so I put her in the liquor cabinet!" That's my 'dad' :D

So, yeah.. She's downstairs in the liquor cabinet.

Last edited:

JayIsBored

TRIBE Member
Casey said:
My mom has both our old cat Fide, and dog Moo cremated and keeps their ashes in little boxes in her closet. I think it's cute.

When my Grandfather died, his request was to be cremated, placed in a burlap sack, and then have the sack full of his remains placed on a bonfire on their property while his sons kicked a bucket around. Seriously. They kicked the bucket for him! He was an interesting fellow.

I wasn't there for this event, but I went to visit not long after and my dad was showing me the ashes on the ground. He even found a few small charred fragments of bone and picked them up to show me. I was pretty young, so I felt a bit uncomfortable with it. Now I think it's cool.

sound like a bunch of freakin weirdos!

JESuX

TRIBE Member
jordan - from what i gleaned from that article, it wasn't the urns that were stolen, but the bronze vases for mourning flowers that were mounted on top of the markers... then again, my reading comprehension skills aren't that great.

NemIsis

TRIBE Member
SUNKIST said:
why are mom and dad in scare quotes? are they like your aunt and uncle or something? or close family friends?

They took me in at 17 when my parents died. She was my principal at the time. I put it in quotes because when I would write about my mom and dad on tribe, those who knew my biological parents were dead would ask, "But, I thought your parents were dead?". :eek: :)

emigre

TRIBE Member
JESuX said:
jordan - from what i gleaned from that article, it wasn't the urns that were stolen, but the bronze vases for mourning flowers that were mounted on top of the markers... then again, my reading comprehension skills aren't that great.

yup, i edited above, the headline was misleading!

SuperMeaghan

TRIBE Member
NemIsis said:
My 'mom' passed away in February from a long battle with cancer. A large contingent of the family went down to Disney World this summer and secretly spread some of her ashes in flower beds around the park. My 'mom' and 'dad' have been going there every year for 30 years. They've been to every one actually. Her office was Disney World :) .

Well, when I asked my 'dad' where he had put the 'rest' of her (He has to hide the urn as their maid of over 30 years broke down sobbing everytime she saw it), said, "She couldn't drink anything before she died, so I put her in the liquor cabinet!" That's my 'dad' :D

So, yeah.. She's downstairs in the liquor cabinet.

that was an absolutely heartwarming story to read. aside from the obvious I mean... bah. That didn't come out right.

why not

TRIBE Member
in related news:

Man leaves dead mother in armchair for two years

Fri Aug 24, 8:13 AM ET

BERLIN (Reuters) - A German left his dead mother seated in her favorite armchair at their shared home for two years because he could not face organizing a funeral, police in the southern town of Fuerstenfeldbruck said Friday.

The woman died of natural causes in the chair in July 2005 at the age of 92, a police spokesman said. A doctor called to the scene at the time gave the son a death certificate but he did not register the death.

Neighbors recently alerted police about the corpse. The man told police he could not bear to move his mother and said he never again entered the room where she was seated. Police have started an investigation for violating German burial law.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20070824/od_nm/germany_corpse_dc;_ylt=AsqzicAjh_xuJ8BH9_xqSDGs0NUE

annec

TRIBE Member
Yes PostMod, it's called Lifegem, it takes a couple ounces of ashes and somehow turns them into diamonds for about 10grand or so