• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Does a DJ coming from the US need a work permit?

Chiclet

TRIBE Promoter
If he is only working one night?

I checked the CIC website, and here is what it says:

"Foreign artists and their essential supporting staff coming to Canada to perform do not need a permit if they are only performing in Canada for a limited period of time and will not be performing in a bar or restaurant. Artists working in Canada in this category may not enter into an employment relationship with the Canadian group that has contracted for their services. Artists must also not perform for the production of a movie, television or radio broadcast."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/exempt-1.html

I tried calling, but I get the busy signal.

Thanks for your help!

mingster

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Chiclet

I checked the CIC website, and here is what it says:

"Foreign artists and their essential supporting staff coming to Canada to perform do not need a permit if they are only performing in Canada for a limited period of time and will not be performing in a bar or restaurant. Artists working in Canada in this category may not enter into an employment relationship with the Canadian group that has contracted for their services. Artists must also not perform for the production of a movie, television or radio broadcast."

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/work/exempt-1.html

I tried calling, but I get the busy signal.

Thanks for your help!
i think this might be your answer? where will this dj be spinning?

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member

Yes and it makes no difference if they are being paid or not!! You most definitely need a work permit!! And I have tried the argument “He’s playing for money, and he’s not playing for broadcast or in a bar or a club” and it doesn’t work.

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
Yes you do need one.

Here is the person you want to contact

Pat Ebelshauser
Foreign Worker Program
Tel: 416-952-6906

She can answer your questions, and send you all the paper work, oh yes all the fun paper work

Don't worry it is pretty easy just a pian in the butt
Good luck

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Artists working in Canada in this category may not enter into an employment relationship with the Canadian group that has contracted for their services.

If your bringing them up to work they are entering into an employment contract with you. No matter what you need a permit the location is irrelevent.

DINGER

TRIBE Member
There's a story about Ritchie Hawtin being blocked at the Windsor crossing to detroit in the early 90's. They finally clued in that he was bringing his records over and making good money so they just stopped letting him bring his records over.

His response was to buy a little helicopter and make the journey...

I read this in his liner notes for one of his cd's - can anyone validate this???

vox

TRIBE Member
it takes a few weeks...

sometimes it's cheaper if the artist or artist's manager can arrange it from whereve they're coming from (ie. it's easier and cheaper to get a work visa from the u.k, then bothering to do one in canada...or at least that's been my experience)

JuNiOrR

TRIBE Member
How long does it take to get one?
when we obtained one for Josh tha Funky 1 back in march it took 3 days... jsut print the form fill it out and fax it in...

Astroboy

TRIBE Member
you have insurance already, right Marcia? Make sure you are aware of those costs before you start signing contracts with artists.

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
they tell you that you should generally apply 6 weeks in advance.
The apps go to the HRDC.. basically they go over everything and submit a recomendation to immigration.

the work permit itself is not processed/approved/declined untill the person arrives at immigration at the airport, so filling out the forms and having it approved does not garantee the person will be permitted in. However, I've had the person at the HRCD say that they were recommending that the artist not be allowed here to work and the person still got in... and this was after 9/11 to

[- FuNKtiOn -]

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by DINGER
There's a story about Ritchie Hawtin being blocked at the Windsor crossing to detroit in the early 90's. They finally clued in that he was bringing his records over and making good money so they just stopped letting him bring his records over.

I read this in his liner notes for one of his cd's - can anyone validate this???
well, I dunno about this story, but I know that some dj's have trouble getting through because of legal things and not being able to work in a country (as in couldnt get a work permit if they tried), so they just FedEx'ed their records out a week prior to when they were leaving, and just said they we're going out for leisure purposes when going across the border.
that was going from Canada to US, but Im sure it works both ways.

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by DINGER

HAHA yeah he has a little helicopter landing area on top of the building

no he was not able to play in the states for a good little while there

DINGER

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by mrs peacock
HAHA yeah he has a little helicopter landing area on top of the building

no he was not able to play in the states for a good little while there
Seriously - it was either in the liner notes of "Recycled Plastik" or "consumed"...

Does anyone have either of these kicking around to look.