1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

DoD and Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Politics (deprecated)' started by atbell, Jun 16, 2010.

1. atbell

atbell TRIBE Member

I'm a little suspect about this recent release of a mineral map of the peaceful territory north of Pakistan. All they want to do is smoke opium and shoot at rival clans, now these resources mean formal militaries are going to be in the region for decades!

How will the Afghan's cope with war? They've had it so good before this.

:rolleyes:

So looking into the report I've found that it seems to all go back to a NYT article from Monday, this one:

U.S. Identifies Vast Mineral Riches in Afghanistan - Readers' Comments - NYTimes.com

I'm trying to find supporting documents from the DoD but the damn web site is too slow. Maybe it isn't for you:

United States Department of Defense (defense.gov)

What really got me writing was the dod web site. Check out the left side, you can get DoD podcasts, wigits, RSS feeds, Facebook Friendship, twitter feeds, youtube broadcasts, or check out thier pics on flicker!

Goebbels is probably turning in his grave, or maybe salivating...

2. atbell

atbell TRIBE Member

3. atbell

atbell TRIBE Member

Quickly:

The DoD document is a nothing document, this could easily be with drawn as there isn't any technical data.

I'm looking into this further because I have outstanding questions:

1. Who paid for the core samples? These cost about 500,000 per core and require teams to be sent to each resource feild to drill multiple cores.

2. How did they do it so fast? The report sais it happened in a year but there are so many deposits in a country where the Canadian forces base hasn't been able to go for the full year without constant attacks... fishy.

4. kyfe

kyfe TRIBE Member

but all the minerals will be dug up by US companies for decades, essentially that security will be as much needed for industry as it is for the Afghan people.

See now there's a Win-Win:rolleyes:

they didn't invade Afghanistan for nothing;)

just wait till the wars start over the Arctic waters, who am I kidding that will be a diplomatic war played out in the courtrooms.