• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Do you take your cell phone to the US when you travel?

greginhali

TRIBE Member
Im heading down to Florida for a quick four day trip. I am going to buy a package of minutes and texting so i can call home.

What I worried about is data. How do you turn off all the apps on your phone? I know about airplane mode, but i want to be able to call. Im sure there is a work around that i just dont know.

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
Im heading down to Florida for a quick four day trip. I am going to buy a package of minutes and texting so i can call home.

What I worried about is data. How do you turn off all the apps on your phone? I know about airplane mode, but i want to be able to call. Im sure there is a work around that i just dont know.

In your phone's settings there is a way to entirely turn off data.

For andoid it's in -> System Settings -> Wireless and Networks -> More Settings -> Mobile Networks -> Mobile Data

greginhali

TRIBE Member
Dumb question, is texting data?

Another dumb question, when data is turn off that means apps like the weather network cant go searching for a provider and update itself?

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
texting is not data, but texting apps like whatsApp or BBM use data.

If you turn data off, no single app on your phone can override that.

greginhali

TRIBE Member
cool, thanks for the answers.

fido offered me 200 minutes and 50? text for 40 bucks. Im not sure if its good or not. I just want to be able to say hi to the lady and kids while im down there and not have some huge bill when i come home.

my phone is android, google nexus so im sure there is the setting you described.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

romstah

TRIBE Member
+1 for roam mobility, if your phone is unlocked just buy a roam mobility sim. its $4/day for unlimted talk, text to US and canada and you get 300 mb for data.

Snuffy

TRIBE Member
Be sure to get Google Maps in offline mode. The GPS still works.

How to Save Offline Maps in the New Google Maps for iOS

Also, to save on calling, download Fongo. You can then use Wifi for calling instead of roaming. Calls to most Canadian Cities are free. Calling to US numbers are at very low rates and much cheaper than roaming.

It's kind of weird because if you're in Florida, calls to Canada are free, but calling next door costs 2¢ a minute.

Free Mobile Long Distance Calling and Text

greginhali

TRIBE Member
Right on for a good idea. Only problem is i need you guy to explain to me what the hell is a roam mobility sim and where do i get one. lol.

My phone is a nexus 4. I believe it is unlocked. I know i have a sim card and i know where it is located. The concept of roam mobility sim is a new one.

kuba

TRIBE Member
+1 for roam mobility, if your phone is unlocked just buy a roam mobility sim. its $4/day for unlimted talk, text to US and canada and you get 300 mb for data.

+2 for rm, been on this for 2 years, best $4 per day ever (except not the same number and don't forward yours to roam's number because guess what; when you're in the US, and your canadian friend calls your canadian number forwarded to a roam #, you still get charged for roaming! a big WTF)

alison87

TRIBE Member
My phone is pretty much only ever used for data - i hardly ever take/make calls or normal texts. This goes even more when i'm traveling. Maps/directions, TripAdvisor, Booking.com, Yelp, WikiVoyage, Eat24, ZipCar etc is precisely the stuff i need while i'm actually on the road. And if you need to meet someone, there's WhatsApp. Imo you are way better off with data then a traditional cell package while you travel.

In the US you can walk into an AT&T store and get on their cheapest month-to-month plan (i think i paid about $40) which has something like a gig of data, which is fairly reasonable for North America. When i was researching this last year all those pay-per-day "roaming SIM" companies had astronomical prices for data so even if you were only there for a week or so the month-long was more cost-effective. Also AT&T works in Mexico (roaming).

greginhali

TRIBE Member
just checked Telus on Bloor - nothing.
7 - 11 on Dundas - nothing.
Staples stock yard - nothing.

I see you can order online. I would love to pick it up in person today or tomorrow. Any hot leads to where they sell it in store?