• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Do you still have a landline?

Do you still have a land line?

• Yes

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 66.0%

• Total voters

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Actually just got my first land line recently. Since I moved out of my parents house at least.

I don't really need it, but my son is getting a little bit older and I figured it would be good to have solely for the purpose of teaching him how to call 911 in an emergency. Landline would always be readily available while our cells may not be. Plus they're password protected.

Only cost $5 a month to add it to our Rogers bundle.

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

Vote_4_Pedro

TRIBE Member
Actually just got my first land line recently. Since I moved out of my parents house at least.

I don't really need it, but my son is getting a little bit older and I figured it would be good to have solely for the purpose of teaching him how to call 911 in an emergency. Landline would always be readily available while our cells may not be. Plus they're password protected.

Only cost $5 a month to add it to our Rogers bundle.

THIS.

Only have a landline for 911. You can be choking, not able to talk - but you can dial 911 and emergency services will come to you and save your life. Worth $14 a month to me. But regular rates, I can see how you wouldn't want to pay.

With VOIP phones you need to update your address if you move, or they can send the trucks to your old address very easily. Also, I work for TFS and when a VOIP person calls 911 it takes forever for the VOIP operator to go through their spiel before you get to talk to me. We can know your general location via cell, but only if the towers are close - and if your house is burning down, or you're choking, we will have a hard time finding you, if we do at all. Landline = we are at your house in minutes.

I have two kids. Home phone all the way.

Last edited:

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
If I had a need for critical communication 24/7, I'd have a land-line. At least POTS is designed to stay functional if the power goes out. Same doesn't apply to xDSL/cable, VoIP or cellular.

Ummm... what? My cell phone usually works fine during power outs.

And that being said I have had no land line since 1997. I don't understand why anyone these days would have a phone-phone.

-jM
A&D