• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Do you still have a landline?

Do you still have a land line?

• Yes

Votes: 16 34.0%
  • No

Votes: 31 66.0%

• Total voters

alexd

Administrator
Staff member

I still have a landline for TRIBE, but I am seriously thinking of dumping it because the only calls that ever come in are robo dialed from telemarketers, even though the number is on the US and Canadian do not call lists.

All my business seems to be done via email these days, and it has been that way for a while now so I think it is time to cut the phone cord entirely.

Do you still have a landline? Take this pole!

praktik

TRIBE Member
Yes - but i frequently work from home so its just more reliable for the conference calls. If i had to shlep into the office all the time I'd probably kill it. For now I dont want to count minutes and worry about battery life.

lobo

TRIBE Member
freephoneline.ca - transferred over our landline number almost 2 years ago and haven't looked back. If it wasn't for the home alarm monitoring we wouldn't even bother with it anymore.

Lobo

le bricoleur

TRIBE Member
We just cancelled ours. I could see us reinstating it once we have kids. But it just doesn't make sense right now. Especially at Bell's rates.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Lojack

TRIBE Member
If I had a need for critical communication 24/7, I'd have a land-line. At least POTS is designed to stay functional if the power goes out. Same doesn't apply to xDSL/cable, VoIP or cellular.

alison87

TRIBE Member
I haven't had a land line since 2009, and even then i only had it because at the time in Australia you needed a land line for DSL. I certainly haven't made or received a call on one since the mid-2000s. The last three jobs i've had didn't have phones at the desk. It's beyond antiquated. Especially in North America it's completely useless to have a land-line because for the caller dialing a landline is the same price as dialing a mobile anyway. In other countries call-forwarding services provide the same benefit. Land lines for home and small business are deader than snail mail.

deep

TRIBE Member
Not since 1998. Company paid mobile + Rogers One Number, the latter used almost never these days.

That said, I have heard from Bell execs that families tend to believe in landlines for emergencies and are a strong subscriber base.

alison87

TRIBE Member
The only people i've ever called when the power was out was the fucking power company to yell at them for letting the power go out. Emergency schmemergency. If it's a real apocalyptic emergency of doom the phone lines will be out too and you will probably have much bigger problems.

I_bRAD

TRIBE Member
Not too bad. Got another 10 out of them $63/mo for phone, long distance and internet is a decent deal I think.

Lojack

TRIBE Member
they try to use the emergency reason to keep you too.
Actually not true. Sure it is a marketing angle, but the cost to maintain the battery packs (and related gear) at the CO's because POTS is an essential service is quite high. There is a major move in the US to get rid of the essential service/backup power requirement, and it has traction in Canada as well.

R4V4G3D_SKU11S

TRIBE Member
We don't have a landline but are thinking of getting one for emergency reasons...

What's the cheapest company out there? We only need to be able to call emergency services.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
We don't have a landline but are thinking of getting one for emergency reasons...

What's the cheapest company out there? We only need to be able to call emergency services.

After our daughter was born we got one. For those rare occasions when we are out and my wife's mother is over. Needless to say she doesn't have a cell nor would she know how to work one.

Just for piece of mind the cost justifies itself. However as soon as my daughter is old enough to get or figure out a cell, the landline is gone.

wakipaki

TRIBE Member
does anyone know a good service to obtain an internationally based local number throug VOIP?

I know Skype lets you have a number so does Sonetel

unfortunately I need a Turkish number and neither supports number in Turkey (this is obviously for business purposes)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories