• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Do you put winter tires on your bicycle?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I was riding back from Yorkville today and it started snowing and the roads were pretty slippery. I see now that some bike tire companies are making "winter tires' for bicycles. They seem to have more tread, and some even seem to have metal studs. They are also double the price of what I normally pay for tires.

Is it worth getting winter tires for a bicycle? Or could I just slap on some tires with a little more tread than I normally ride? Switching from Armadillos to Randoneurs for example...

(Yes, I know there is a cyclists thread and I will be merging this post with it momentarily...)

The Truth

TRIBE Member
my bike is now inside until May..don't know how you winter cyclist can do it..
1297629222230_ORIGINAL.jpg

mudbunny

TRIBE Member
We ride year round and yes we use studded tires. They are great for icy roads, frozen ground. We do ice biking and the studs are a must

The ones we have are Nokian

MEC carries Schwalbe

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Umm yes, if you dont, you are setting yourself up for a world of hurt.

Winter Tires just like the ones on cars, provide the following;

- Different Rubber that stays more malleable for better traction
- Different Type of tread, especially if you are running more click tires, for better traction
- Depending on what you are used to riding, i find that 23's - 25's cut through snow and ice better, allowing you to touch actual pavement vs bigger fatter tires with big knoblies that kind of almost hydro plane.

Its a worth while investment to be sure, im picking up a new set for my ride this weekend.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

glych t.anomaly

TRIBE Member
Its not, its ridiculous.

Alex , its very hard to create studded tires on something as small as 23's, generally the amount of rubber and the nubs are not big enough for the screws, make it more likely to end up puncturing your inner tube, or tearing up the tire.

i would go with 25's - 28's as its decent contact for pavement, without being too fat.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Its not, its ridiculous.

Alex , its very hard to create studded tires on something as small as 23's, generally the amount of rubber and the nubs are not big enough for the screws, make it more likely to end up puncturing your inner tube, or tearing up the tire.

i would go with 25's - 28's as its decent contact for pavement, without being too fat.

I don't know if my forks can handle tires that wide...

WestsideWax

TRIBE Promoter
Studded bike tires can cost $100 each. Elbow grease is free and she probably uses about $4 in screws + an existing tire.

The ones mentioned from MEC are $65/ea. 3-4 hours of labour (my guess for making your own, if you're handy) isn't exactly "free".

I'm not questioning the validity of the project - I'm sure it's a blast for the consummate d.i.y.'er - just that particular statement.

djfear

TRIBE Member
I need to buy a new bicycle. I rode my to the ground in a sense. sprockets are super worn, chain is rusty, brakes are squeaky, gears don't work... it's great, nobody will steal it (actually they will).

With respects to winter tires for your bicycle, I would also recommend getting them. I personally feel that winter tires for any vehicle are always worth it, because you are just extending the life of your summer tires and are getting the grip and handling based on the weather and conditions of your mode of transportation. This goes for all vehicles.

khemistry

TRIBE Member
why would you ride 23's in winter anyways, stick to 30 or 32 cyclocross tires & lower your tire pressure.

Or get the studded tires.