• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Do you actually get/take your lunch at work?

Flashy_McFlash

Well-Known TRIBEr
Not having the gym right next door as I did in my old office, I tend not to take a full hour. But I try to at least leave the building for a while (even if I'm busy) to get my shit together and to eat something.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
at least I dont shit 4 times a day like my coworker does here, and let it all drift down the hallway into her office, like it does into mine.

screamy

TRIBE Member
I personally think you should be taking your full lunch hour and breaks. Schedule it in your Outlook as being out of the office.

Then again, I know how you get treated by certain members of your department, and I would never put up with it.

I don't usually take lunch, and I work crazy hours and weekends. If I didn't love my boss, there would be no way in hell.

MissBlu

TRIBE Member
i guess i should mention that even though i have no life outside of work and the gym right now, once we are up and running i'll have days where i get to cruise early, and time off without taking vacation days... i think it evens out?

KiX

TRIBE Member
i get a 2.5 hr lunch (unpaid, but whatever). it's pretty much the best ever.

that gives me enough time to write client notes, walk home, go for a ~45 min run, make + eat lunch, get un-nasty for my afternoon, and get back to work with 10 mins to spare.

AshG

^
jesus christ, how long does that make your work day?
still, i guess its not really a day of work per se then.

i prefer taking short lunches and getting shit done so i can leave early or arrive late, as per whatever else i've got planned outside of work.

Vise

TRIBE Member
I go out for lunch every day (salary so paid of course), usually an hour-ish but somedays it will be 90mins to 2hrs if we go somewhere far... lately we've been alternating between the food courts at First Markham Place and Pacific Mall so around an hour or so. I'd probably lose my mind if I couldn't get out for a bit each day, there are only so many stupid questions one can answer before you start to lose your shit. Helps to work in a flexible situation with an awesome boss though.

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
30 minutes paid lunch....and I take a good 35 or so ;)

really loose company I work for.
very flexible.

TAKE IT. it's your right as a worker to get minimum 30 minute lunch for 8 hours.

Maui

TRIBE Member
I think last time this thread popped up I was triumphing bringing your own lunch to work which I would still do but can't. Now for the past year I eat both lunch and dinner out 5 days a week.

Dirty Girl

TRIBE Member
^

i prefer taking short lunches and getting shit done so i can leave early or arrive late, as per whatever else i've got planned outside of work.

*raises hand*
umm, excuse me, sir, dont you like kinda have to leave and arrive when the bell goes?

Joe Seven

TRIBE Member
I usually take about an hour for lunch. I also take a latte/cookie break in the afternoon for 20-30 min. Sometimes I just leave work and walk around the 'hood, browse the bookstore, buy booze, etc.

L'ilMisSunshine

TRIBE Member
I eat lunch on the fly while working, usually at 2 or 3. The good thing is that I get to eat great food for free.

My work is divided between management and union employees. Most full time union staff take an unpaid hour for lunch and a half hour of paid break ... all work stops for breaks. So most work 6.5 hours in an 8 hour day.

I know several managers who make less money than their staff as the union people are paid overtime and for every hour worked, etc (which is true for me with one of my staff). I feel like I'm a bit more of a sucker every day that I work there.

AshG

actually i was just referring to 'early' as in.. like coaching before school starts, and having the option to leave relatively soon after the last bell, as opposed to doing shit at the end of the day and more or less wasting time talking with colleagues and their problems.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
45 min lunch unpaid, but everyone takes a full hour. I mostly bring my lunch and eat it in the lunch room and take 40 minutes or so. The odd time I go shopping and take executive lunches (1.5 hr) so it all balances out. Sometimes I eat at my desk, but my work is not cool with the leaving early/ no lunch thing.