1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Do we really need access to more right-wing media up here?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by erika, Aug 31, 2010.

1. erika

erika TRIBE Member

From Avaaz:
    Dear friends,

Prime Minister Harper is trying to force American-style hate media on Canada. Sign the petition to support CRTC Chair Konrad von Finckenstein (above) and encourage him to protect Canadians from a "Fox News North" channel funded by our own cable TV fees:

Prime Minister Harper is trying to push American-style hate media onto our airwaves, and make us all pay for it.

His plan is to create a "Fox News North" to mimic the kind of hate-filled propaganda with which Fox News has poisoned U.S. politics. The channel will be run by Harper’s former top aide and will be funded with money from our cable TV fees!

One man stands in the way of this nightmare -- the Chairman of Canada's Radio and Telecommunications Commission Konrad von Finckenstein. He's rejected the plan as a violation of CRTC policies, so now Harper is trying to get him out of the job. Let's urgently send a massive wave of public support to von Finckenstein, with 100,000 Canadians encouraging him to keep standing up for Canada, and standing firm against Harper's pressure. Sign the petition below and forward this email to everyone -- we'll publish full page ads in Canadian papers when we reach 100,000:

Canada: Stop "Fox News North"

Harper hatched his scheme in a secret lunch last year with media-mogul Rupert Murdoch, the owner of Fox News. Harper's top aide Kory Teneycke also came to the lunch, and then left the government to head up Suncor Newspapers and the new "Fox News North".

Fox News fuels hate. While constantly claiming to be “fair” and “balanced”, it allows hysterical anchors like Glenn Beck to compare Obama to "Lucifer" and "Hitler". Bill O’Reilly, another anchor, has threatened to boycott Canada, and Anne Coulter says Canada is “lucky the US allows it to exist on the same continent.” The network has calculatingly spawned the tea party movement in the US, a mobilisation of the fringe right which threatens violence upon its opponents and wears guns to political rallies.

This is a fight for the soul of Canadian democracy. Our media is not perfect, but a ‘news’ network that slavishly serves a political agenda through mass manipulation and fear threatens the fabric of our democratic society.

The CRTC is part of our democracy -- it was made an independent commission precisely in order to protect against this kind of government manipulation of the media. Harper knows that he must bully his way through this institution in order to create "Fox News North". And there are dark rumours in Ottawa that if von Finckenstein will not leave his job, Harper will simply force him to give in. Konrad von Finckenstein is upholding the best tradition of Canadian democracy and civil service in the face of a full scale attack on that tradition. Let's show him, and Harper, that Canada stands with him.

Canada: Stop "Fox News North"

"Fox News North" is Harper's long term strategy to make radical conservatism the political centre in Canada, tearing down the country we love to make us look like the U.S. Thankfully, Konrad von Finckenstein and the CRTC are standing in his way -- let's stand with them.

2. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

no, we need more toronto star type liberalism up in here

3. erika

erika TRIBE Member

hahaha
    not sure we need more of anything
    and I was talking about tv, not print media...

4. basketballjones

you said media, not tv woman!

5. erika

erika TRIBE Member

^
    I did I did
    You are RIGHT
    I am WRONG
    mea culpa mea culpa mea maxima culpa

There, feel better? :p

6. basketballjones

your mea culpa can take a hike, just get me a beer !

7. erika

erika TRIBE Member

It's cold and ready, but I'm going to bed
    Guess it will have to be another time... :D

8. basketballjones

im partial to cold and hostile...

9. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

Nothing like hysterical hate-filled left-wing counter-propaganda to even things out :D

[​IMG]

10. WestsideWax

WestsideWax TRIBE Promoter

People still watch TV? ;)

11. Ho||yw0oD

Ho||yw0oD TRIBE Member

We have a lot of left and left-of-centre news up here. Might as well get some Fox News North to even things out.

Plus if you are bored, it is always great to watch the baboonery on Fox.

12. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

I don't think either the The Star or The Globe can be considered left of centre. The former is centrist with the latter slightly right of centre, The Post is right of that. There isn't a true leftist mainstream outlet in Canada and anyone who thinks so needs their compass recalibrated.

That said, I am all for Sun News or Fox North, or whatever they want to call it. Broaden the spectrum at either end and debate is sure to liven.

13. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

I am on board with this.

I still think our canadian sensibility will water down the vitriol level a bit - let us rememebr folks that Canadian Conservatism is still very different from our American cousins version down south: even if Harper looks south he's still a Canukistani, and him and his cronies will never be as crazy as Tom Delay/Newt Gingrich/Rush Limbaugh.

14. erika

erika TRIBE Member

I"m fine with it being here; it just bothers me that it would be automatically funded, which is what that thing seems to imply. In that case, I would like Al-Jazeera to be funded in the same way.
    Given that we have access to CNN and Fox from here anyway, why do we need a Canadian version? Is that like the Canadian edition of Time?

15. Spinsah

Spinsah TRIBE Member

The article is misleading, we won't pay for it like we pay for the CBC, rather those who pay cable fees, will pay for a portion of the program budget like they do for all other canadian cable stations.

16. DJ Vuvu Zela

DJ Vuvu Zela TRIBE Member

Any reasonable person wouldn't see the CBC as far left as Fox news is right. I'd consider them pretty central in political matters, but I know a lot of conservatives view them as very left.

I see CFTO as incredibly right wing in their reporting, but I'm sure conservatives view them as fair and balanced.

Regardless, I'd only be up for allowing a far right news channel if it was balanced with a far left channel. If the government is willing to give someone like the Real News a 24/7 channel to offset the truck full of bullshit a conservative news channel would dump on the public mindset.

The more disturbing thing is how the Harper government is taking all their cues from the US republican party on how to run our country. First it was trying to change our copy-write laws to something more in tune with the US. Then it was ordering billions of dollars of fighter jets that don't suit our actual needs. next is trying to turn our prison system into a profit generating entity, and getting a news channel to push their propaganda on the country's population.

wonderful.

17. derek

derek TRIBE Member

their first anchor can be that dingbat from out west, rachel whateverhernameis.

the comedy network's been lacking these days. i need some laughs.

whenever i'm on business in the usa i watch that real whacky dude that does the finincial reporting on either fox or nbc. can't remember his name. it's like a circus clown talking about stocks and the economy with bellls, horns and the works, just no make-up. he cracks me up.

although, it's actually really sad because some people actually believe the crap that comes out of their mouths.

18. praktik

praktik TRIBE Member

Don't forget the most obvious example of looking south: that stupid decision on the census!

NO ONE HERE was talking about it - no conservative groups were agitating about it, at least no one with any presence.

The ONLY PLACE the census is a political issue is the states - to me this is the clearest example of Harper looking south cause its really just a direct importation of an American issue which had no constituency here in Canada asking for Harper to do what he did!