• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Do the 1 percenters of 2154 get smacked down in Elysium?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Matt Damon in an exoskeleton! Jodie Foster with a pixie cut in a taupe business suit! The future! It has to be OK, doesn't it?

Lojack

TRIBE Member
I read one revision of the script which was leaked online a year ago.. Now I'm a fan of District 9, and I was hoping Elysium would be cool, but the script didn't show much promise and the early reviews are in line with what I thought. There are some cool action sequences, but the politics of it seemed immature. Like it was pandering to the Occupy crowd.

I'll still see Elysium in the next week, but I'm not expecting anything stellar.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
Ya it cant be as bad as After Earth can it?

Still, been waiting for a breakthrough sci-fi and I can't think there has been since maybe Moon (which is kind of a different beast, a more meditative Solaris type sci-fi instead of "crazy world action" sci fi)- our best shots have all fizzled (Prometheus, Total Recall update - lets fucking hope against hope they dont fuck w/ Blade Runner TOO badly) and these were still ones that were revisiting old ground...

Where's the New Classic people?? Where??

District 9 maybe? Avatar?

I dunno... everything's got issues these days it seems, better we lower our sights and just try to have a good time.

Prometheus got better after the 1st time IMO..;)

Ya it cant be as bad as After Earth can it?

Still, been waiting for a breakthrough sci-fi and I can't think there has been since maybe Moon (which is kind of a different beast, a more meditative Solaris type sci-fi instead of "crazy world action" sci fi)- our best shots have all fizzled (Prometheus, Total Recall update - lets fucking hope against hope they dont fuck w/ Blade Runner TOO badly) and these were still ones that were revisiting old ground...

Where's the New Classic people?? Where??

District 9 maybe? Avatar?
Inception? Some might not think of it as Sci-Fi, but there's a ton of Sci-Fi elements to it. I'd strongly support the idea that District 9 was one of the better sci fi films you could ask for in the last 20 odd years.

I dunno... everything's got issues these days it seems, better we lower our sights and just try to have a good time.

Prometheus got better after the 1st time IMO..;)
That's partly because the hype machine that we're dealing with today doesn't even compare to the advertising that went into a movie nearly 30 years ago. The sale pitch is so strong that the movie has the odds stacked against it in being able to meet the expectations that they've set up for the audience, and the internet being able to access a huge amount of pre-production information kills all the magic. Before you'd see some kind of weird abstract pic in a magazine that would likely leave you asking "WTF is that?!!?!?" in order to get you interested in seeing it.

And trailers - most have gotten to the point where they can summarize the entire movie and heavily hint at a happy ending - all because the studio wants to ensure seats filled on opening weekend.

So, really, I blame less the craft itself and lean more towards the hype machine that constantly give you details and grossly exaggerate at best and completely mislead at worst.

Primer I think would also qualify as a modern sci fi Classic as well.

There's a ton more, you just have to look past the multiplex and keep an eye on the upcoming releases.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories