• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

do. do ash. do ash wednesday.

patri©k

TRIBE Member
ok pagans...

I'm just about to smoke a hash joint... and will make the sign of the cross on my forehead with the leftover ashes.

lol, j/k... sorta.

what have y'all given up for lent? I gave up pork, chocolate and pop.

40 days and 40 nights baby!

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

stir-fry

TRIBE Member
On the way home this morning I asked my mom if she wanted a coffee from Tim's. "Oh, i'm giving up coffee for lent.", was her response. I couldn't help but think what a sucker she is

lol

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Again one of those traditions that we completely ignored in my family. We would eat fish on two days of the year, hash wednesday and good friday, that was as close as we got to it.

Remember going to school for years and all the whole deal made over it. I think every year I lied and said I gave something up.

I always loved the forced confessions myself. You got lined up to confess your sins every now and then, and sometimes when you got in shit for something.

Forgive me father it has been two weeks since my last confession, yes I swore again that whole fucking first goddamn commandment is a bitch...

Three Hail Mary's later and all was good again. You always had to prey to Jesus mother for some reason, I always blamed it on the italians.

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
I'm going to give up Internet.
Tribe.
Sex.
Counter Strike.
Snowboarding.
Working Out.

Then I won't have to do anything... for 40 days!!!

pr0nstar :D

finary

TRIBE Promoter
strange traditions...

what do you gain by giving things up for lent?

whats the point?

just seems odd :)

patri©k

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by finary
strange traditions...

whats the point?

40 days is a traditional number of discipline, devotion, and preparation in the Bible.

Moses stayed on the Mountain of God 40 days (Exodus 24:18 and 34:28)

spies were in the land for 40 days (Numbers 13:25)

Elijah traveled forty days before he reached the cave where he had his vision (1 Kings 19:8)

Nineveh was given forty days to repent (Jonah 3:4)

and the most important, prior to undertaking his ministry, Jesus spent forty days in wilderness praying and fasting (Matthew 4:2).

Lent is a time of stripping down to essentials. living simply and reflecting on our relationships with God.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by finary
strange traditions...

whats the point?

A large portion of most religous cermenoys or seasons is a clensing and a portion of fasting in some way or another. For jewish people they have 40 days celebrating the release from egypt, for the catholics we renamed it Lent.

The idea is that be giving something up that is inheritly either over indulgent or downright unethical or wrong for 40 days you will learn that you can infact live without it. You are supposed to reflect upon that thing nightly in prayer you are supposed to face your demon. At the end of the forty days is easter and in model of christ you are to be reborn....

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by patri©k
40 days is a traditional number of discipline, devotion, and preparation in the Bible.

Moses stayed on the Mountain of God 40 days (Exodus 24:18 and 34:28)

spies were in the land for 40 days (Numbers 13:25)

Elijah traveled forty days before he reached the cave where he had his vision (1 Kings 19:8)

Nineveh was given forty days to repent (Jonah 3:4)

and the most important, prior to undertaking his ministry, Jesus spent forty days in wilderness praying and fasting (Matthew 4:2).

Lent is a time of stripping down to essentials. living simply and reflecting on our relationships with God.

good answer

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
I think a lot of Catholics only see Lent as a time of NOT doing certain things, when in fact, Lent is also a time of DOING certain things (i.e., acts of charity and almsgiving).

Silvershadow

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Ditto Much
The idea is that be giving something up that is inheritly either over indulgent or downright unethical or wrong for 40 days you will learn that you can infact live without it.
Yeah, that's how my grandfather quit smoking... every year, he'd give up smoking during Lent... after a while he realized that if he could give it up for 40 days, he should just not pick it back up after Lent is over, which is what he wound up doing.

patri©k

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by AdRiaN
I think a lot of Catholics only see Lent as a time of NOT doing certain things, when in fact, Lent is also a time of DOING certain things (i.e., acts of charity and almsgiving).

these 'pro-active' acts of humanity should be the result of the reflection taking place daily throughout lent.

edit: and should carry over into everyday practices once lent has passed.

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Silvershadow
Yeah, that's how my grandfather quit smoking... every year, he'd give up smoking during Lent... after a while he realized that if he could give it up for 40 days, he should just not pick it back up after Lent is over, which is what he wound up doing.

you gotta love the old guys!!

My dad didn't even bother to try, I took his example and didn't bother to try either. What can I say in the end you can't temper with perfection less you never complete the work of art.

The concepts behind most of the traditions are actually very sound. The method of teaching them doesn't work in my personal opinion. The more I watch the more I think that religion shouldn't be introduced to kids until they are much older.

patri©k

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
Good ;)

I gave up that religion thing years ago...
Did my time during grade school/high school and all the processes involved through it!

pr0nstar :D

I think the Roman Catholic church has been corrupted and no longer remains true to its roots.

I too had religion as a daily subject over the 10 years of elementary/highschool and always found it boring.

Lately, I'm finding it terribly interesting and have formed many new opinions on the subject.