1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

do bikes ever go on sale?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by alexd, Aug 22, 2003.

1. alexd

alexd Administrator Staff Member

bicycles....

like is there a season where prices drop? or do they consistently stay the same across the year? anybody know?

2. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

end of summer / back to school sales

you can usually find a crappy walmart / canadian tire "made in canada" bike for around $100

3. alexd

no, i am looking for a bike of better quality... something i can ride to montreal and back

4. fuzzy

fuzzy TRIBE Member

Your nuts Alex

5. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

Bikes are kind of like snowboards, which are kind of like cars. Once the new years model comes out, last years model usually goes on sale if there are any left. Thats how I bought my bike. My bikes not super good, but its'a specialized rock hopper. I saved about 30 percent. Mind you it is 7 years old now but it still rides great.:)

6. MoFo

MoFo TRIBE Member

I saw a sale at Sportchek.

They everything from BMX's to Diamondbacks.

7. Syntax Error

Syntax Error Well-Known TRIBEr

who will wield the banhammer while you're gone?

8. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

I got a $150 bike at sportmart, not a bad deal but one day I took it 80 clicks to test out it's long ride, and it's making some noises now that I'm not comfy with.. good thing they have a 2 month no questions asked return policy.

If you want something you can return easily if you fuck it up, go with them, if you want something for longer distances, I say spend some money for a bike with lighter more durable components.

9. alexd

I have never spent more than 400 bucks on a bike and the next level appears to be 900+ bucks...

[​IMG]

10. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

I've seen that model, it looks pretty solid.

11. Astroboy

Astroboy TRIBE Member

Alex, i had the model equivalent to that one, the Sirrus sport...it is not a bike I would want to ride from TO-MTL....i would suggest a real road bike...it is a comfortable cruiser, but not something I would consider taking on a longer, or prolonged ride, the position is too upright IMO

i ride about 125kms a week, what kind of budget are you thinking of?

12. Jennika

Jennika TRIBE Member

go to The Bike Show .... I believe it's in March or Feb.

fantastic deals on new good bikes
    loads of selection

13. LeoGirl

LeoGirl TRIBE Member

Shut Up........you are not :p

are you? You're nuts.

Have fun :)

;)

14. G-FrEsH

G-FrEsH TRIBE Promoter

the ones at zellers do.....

not bad bikes...
    but there not 900 bucks..

Davo...

15. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

Why, you could do it in a day, easily two.

16. alexd

less than a grand - . i don't like the leaning-forward-roadbike position, it destroys my elbows and shoulders.

I test rode this one today and it was cool, a gary fisher utopia

[​IMG]

17. deep

deep TRIBE Member

gary fisher makes solid bikes as well.

have you given a rocky mountain a go?

I have an Equipe from 1994 or so...

18. OTIS

OTIS TRIBE Member

How much was this?

19. lucky1

lucky1 TRIBE Member

Specialized is a good bike. I have no complaints about mine.

20. alexd

it lists at 1300 but the 2002 model (gray paint but exactly the same) is 950 at my local bike shop

21. alexd

the fewer spokes freaked me out at first but it seems to work well

22. juice

juice TRIBE Member

Indeed it is. Mine is still going strong 5 years later ...

[​IMG]

23. ian

ian TRIBE Member

My bro road to Vancouver from Guelph a few years back.

The worst was the first couple of days apparently. His muscles relaxed after that.

-ian g.

24. The Tesseract

The Tesseract TRIBE Member

That bike won't make it to Ajax... or you won't.

That's a city-road bike. Meant for commuting. You can't do epic rides on something like that, because it's not built for that kind of riding.
    What you need for a ride to MTL, is a Touring Bike. They look very similar to race bikes, except that the geometry is slightly more relaxed, and it's built to take racks and panniers.

The brutal truth, such a ride is not going to come cheap. Where you save money on the bike, you will lose it in buying the add-on equipment (pannier bags).

If you want to get a better deal, wait till october. There's a fall bike show. It's a one day thing only. Keep an eye out for the ad in the T.O Star. I got some pretty good deals last year. They like to slash prices more so at that bike show than the spring (march) show because the more they sell, the less they have to stow, during the winter.

25. rod_g

rod_g TRIBE Member