• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Do any of you use airbnb to rent out all or part of your home?

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I am considering renting out a room or my entire place using airbnb after a great experience I had with a place I found on airbnb in Montreal on the weekend.

Have any of you rented out our own home or a part of your home of it on airbnb? Experiences? Tips?

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
I am considering renting out a room or my entire place using airbnb after a great experience I had with a place I found on airbnb in Montreal on the weekend.

Have any of you rented out our own home or a part of your home of it on airbnb? Experiences? Tips?
I have a furnished second bedroom that I list on airbnb. I decline most requests, but now and then will have a guest. I need to be 100% sure about the person before inviting them into my home.

Still kind of new at this, but my first guest was a UCLA professor that was in town for a conference. Second was a music producer from Germany who was in town working on a project. Both provided their links to LinkedIn and Facebook and were great experiences.

Last guy I declined was from Italy. Didn't state his profession, no real insight into who he was, and he told me he'd have a guest with him on "some nights". Didn't exactly give me any confidence so I said "no".

Fortunately I don't really need the extra money, but it's nice to have some extra dough drop in my bank account on occasion, and it also provides an opportunity to meet some cool people. If you have the space, I'd say go for it. Just be careful about who you take in!

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I have a furnished second bedroom that I list on airbnb. I decline most requests, but now and then will have a guest. I need to be 100% sure about the person before inviting them into my home.

Still kind of new at this, but my first guest was a UCLA professor that was in town for a conference. Second was a music producer from Germany who was in town working on a project. Both provided their links to LinkedIn and Facebook and were great experiences.

Last guy I declined was from Italy. Didn't state his profession, no real insight into who he was, and he told me he'd have a guest with him on "some nights". Didn't exactly give me any confidence so I said "no".

Fortunately I don't really need the extra money, but it's nice to have some extra dough drop in my bank account on occasion, and it also provides an opportunity to meet some cool people. If you have the space, I'd say go for it. Just be careful about who you take in!
Thanks for the tips! What kind of price were you charging for your room per night?

SmoothOperator

TRIBE Member
I'm in little italy and charging $65 per night (+$15 for additional guest). Best way to determine how much you charge, is to look at the other listings in your area.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Did you give them access to you kitchen or was it just for the room?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I'm turning the spare room into a podcasting studio next year. Never did rent it on AirBnB.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders