1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

do any of you DJs use digital DJ Record Pools?

Discussion in 'House Room' started by desklight, May 4, 2010.

1. desklight

desklight TRIBE Member

hey, i just invested in a pair of CDJ2000s and now im just curious where do you guys legally download your music that has house and trance? any Digital DJ Pools in particular?

so far I found zipDJ :: The elite MP3 music digital download DJ pool which seems like a good legal one I've found, any other good ones?
  2. [- FuNKtiOn -]

[- FuNKtiOn -] TRIBE Member

if you just dropped a couple grand on cdj's then I'd hope buying tunes at $1.49-$2.49 from the typical retailers shouldn't be a huge problem.

Im not really sure how legal digital dj pools work, but I question if the labels are actually getting their deserved cut of the pie.
  3. oddmyth

oddmyth TRIBE Member

Many digital DJ pools are in fact legal and are used by club DJ's the world over. I haven't found one particularily house/trance oriented myself as most of them concentrate on club music (hip hop/house, mashups, reggae, rnb etc.) and only have a small collection of house/techno/trance titles.

DJ pools have traditionally been used to get music out into clubs before its actually released to create hype for a tune and get feedback on what DJ's think about the tunes themselves. The pools not only have a fee but usually constitute you being a club DJ of some sort (ie. playing out regularily) and writing feedback on a number of tracks per month/week etc.

They are in fact the front line of the DJ industry, and the labels are the ones driving the content.
  4. dj_soo

dj_soo TRIBE Member

most pools are decidedly commercial although you will occasionally find a decent track here or there.

if you're looking for a pool that deals in more underground house, you're probably better off doing it the old fashioned way and digging for the tunes yourself.
  5. videotronic

videotronic TRIBE Member

do you have any idea how a pool works?
  6. DoubleDown

DoubleDown TRIBE Member

7. desklight

desklight TRIBE Member

ok cool thanks for the tips :)
  8. physix

physix TRIBE Member

There are a couple solid house/techno digital dj pools out there. I've heard Jason Tyler and Angel Alanis talking about them.

I'll grab the names and post.
  9. physix

physix TRIBE Member