• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

DMonic's B-Day Bash w/ Atomic Hooligan @ FOCUS

tasc

TRIBE Promoter
Another wikked Saturday night inside Charlies.
Got there a little past 1am, missed out on Dan's opening set but I'm sure the B-Day boy was laying it down proper. Atomic Hoooligan was doing what he does best, cuttin', scratchin' & mixing tune after tune. Suprised me with some HipHop & Dancehall with a nice transition back into breaks. A very nice crowd in attendance, a lot of familiar faces. Can't forget FunknStyle who finished things off nicelly. Amazing night alltogether. Once again, a big happybirthday to Mr.Dmonic. A fun night it was!

Hispeeddub

TRIBE Member
Great night !

Atomic Hooligan fuckin rocked it with a wikked set. Anyone know the scoop on the "Punks" remix he dropped? I almost shat myself :eek: The hip hop and Sean Paul was pricless, I love a DJ that doesnt conform to anything. Definatly one of the highlights was seeing RobbG bust it up on the floor, never met you Robb but i love your vibe on the decks and on the floor.
Happy Birthday Dan ! you dont really knoew me but best whishes regardless.

DJAlchemy

TRIBE Promoter
fuckin right on! Never have I heard scratching and cutting that fit so naturally into a set.

props to the MC and birthday boy for the night!

Peace. D

Lambchops

TRIBE Member
Atomic Hooligan was the best part of the night. His scratching and use of Sean Paul (;)) were a definite bonus! The random 3am dancehall session was also really fun too.

Hope you had a great birthday Dan :)

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
That was fucking insane! Focus & Atomic Hooligan delivered us a huge bag of treats. All the Djs showed me how many directions breaks can go and they did it with such skill. Dmonic Happy birthday and it was fun watching you kill those tables. funk&style was a mad man and closed off nicely. The best part of all was seeing Atomic Hooligan tear up the main room in the Guv. Thanks to Mark Oliver for letting Atomic Hooligan tear it up in the main room. It was good to see everybody love the breaks and eating it up. Atomic Hooligan ended off with a wicked track in the guv IMO (Rennie Pilgrem-Emit/Collect) you should of heard it on that system it was beautiful!:D

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

MartyMcFly

TRIBE Promoter
Happy Birthday Dan.
dude.. I still have your XMAS gift.
AKA your BIRTHDAY present.

It wont melt.
so I'll get it to you soon.

cheers..

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
Fuck that was so wicked. Granted I got there late at like 1am, but good god was the hoolgan tearing shit up! I've never really danced to breaks but I gave it the ol' college try last night. A special birthday to danny, who, after trying to leave dragged my ass back for more of funk n style who I really enjoyed because Im a big fan of any DJ who shows energy whilst playing music...and it looked like the dood was having a good time and it showed in the music..good on ya.

Maxine good to meet you
Michie (once again I do beleive that was her name) good to meet you as well and I hope the heineken was delish

and of course a big werdup to kick, turtle, j-mat, angus (thanks for cab share!) and moez for accompanying me.

I like breaks.

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
I went to my Auntie's Bday party earlier on in the evening, came home for a bit, fell asleep and almost didn't wake up. Finally got up at 10:30pm, had a shower and arrived at Charlie's at 1am. I am soooooo happy I made it out. What a wicked night!! The place was packed. Everyone was out for Dan's Bday!! Atomic Hooligan was incredible...WoW!!! I cannot wait til he comes back again! Dan was pure jokes last night. He looked like he was having way too much fun!! Dan, I'm so glad you were having such an amazing Bday.:) The energy in the place was off the hook-everyone was getting all rowdy! When Atomic Hooligan was getting off I was thinking, that's a tough act to follow. Then FunkNstyle comes on and what can I say...Holy shit Jonny...nice set!! I seem to have always missed you play(well only catching little bits of ur sets), finally last night I get to see you...and you're soooooo good!:) Oh and nice to finally meet ur girl Julie.

Very nice to meet lil'Timmy!:)

Maxine

D-Monic

TRIBE Member
Thanks to those that made it out last night! It was a great party! I had so much fun.

Thanks for all the birthday wishes (and drinks).

Atomic Hooligan tore the roof off, and for those of you that were hardcore enough to stick around after Charlie's closed got quite a treat in the Guvernment main room.

The Hooligan got to play a quick 1/2 hour set on the world famous Phazon Soundsytem to close to 3000 people! They loved the breaks!

Check out the picts: http://www.dmonic.com/FOCUS_Saturday

geminigirl

TRIBE Member
Great pics!
I like "it's my party and I'll mc if I want to"...hahahaha...too funny!!:D

The one pic of Lucy "Lovin it"...is so good...what a cutie!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

organik

TRIBE Member
Yes wicked night indeed!!!

Started some pre-drinking session with Torso, MOD ONE, man_slut, and Shawna before heading out...

Got to Charlies at around 11:30pm to hear D-Monic playing some hype tunes, nice opening set by the way I really enjoyed it...

Next up was Atomic Hooligan... wasn't sure what to expect since it was my first time hearing him... all I have to say is WOW! this guy does it all! from scratching to flawless mixing... and he had a ton of energy, which could been seen in the way he had the crowd jumpin... My favorite part of his set has to be when he layed down the Dead Prez "hip-hop" track, I f'in lost it!

All in all I had a good night and you can be sure I'll be there next week! Respects to the Focus crew!

peace!

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
had a blast.

great set from the birthday boy D-Monic and same from the Atomic one. would have liked to have stuck it to see Atomic Hooligan throw down inthe Guv but I had to drive a couple of hurt bags home :p

nice to see the usual faces out and nice to meet some new ones.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by organik
My favorite part of his set has to be when he layed down the Dead Prez "hip-hop" track, I f'in lost it!
YES!!!! The dead Prez track is so dirty and I loved it when that track was played. It got everybody going crazy when that track was on.

man_slut

TRIBE Member
D-monic kicked ass! Atomic Hooligan is pure energy. It was sweet to hear some breaks in the main room later on at around 5 am. It was nice to see the gino's feeding of the music. I had a beutiful night. Thanks a million!

~decepticon~

TRIBE Promoter
Terry T rawks out hard with that dmc scratching (and when I say dmc scratching I`m mean dmc scratching, not us in the electronic music scene that "claim" we can dmc scratch:D ). Sik juggles and the hip hop was dope for the first 5 mins but there is no room for Sean Paul anywhere IMO. Wikkid night and a big Happy B-Day goes out to my girl Christine and my bud Dan!!

cheers

dj Red Turtle

TRIBE Promoter
What a night it was. Dan started the night off proper with the perfect warm up set. Then the real drinking began. Fuck were there a lot of shots. Then Mr. Hooligan took control of the decks and boy did he ever. From scratching to the dropping of hip hop. The set got everyone bopping. One of the funnest party yet at Charlies.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
I actually enjoyed hearing a bit of Atomic Hooligan in the main room ... and I don't even like breaks! Guess I was one of those gino's feeding off the music. j/k ;)

Plato

TRIBE Member
great night, we all had fun!
but i doubt no one had as much fun as dan, aka mc d-runken-monic, happy birthday man!
:D

N30-p[l]a+0

dj Red Turtle

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by AdRiaN
I actually enjoyed hearing a bit of Atomic Hooligan in the main room ... and I don't even like breaks! Guess I was one of those gino's feeding off the music. j/k ;)

Breaks have changed a lot within the last couple of years. What was known as breaks (old school) is not what most break djs play these days. Mark Oliver has incorporated much breaks into his sets. You were probably dancing to it many nights and didn't realize you were busting it out to breaks.

D-Monic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dj Red Turtle
Breaks have changed a lot within the last couple of years. What was known as breaks (old school) is not what most break djs play these days. Mark Oliver has incorporated much breaks into his sets. You were probably dancing to it many nights and didn't realize you were busting it out to breaks.
On the night that Oakenfold played, Liquid Todd (who opened for him) played breaks for over 80% of his 3 hour set. For the last hour it was almost all breaks and the Guv was rammed and loving it.

Breaks is the next big thing!

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by D-Monic
Breaks is the next big thing!
This is no lie...If you give breaks a chance, which a lot of people do without even knowing it you will actually love the creativeness and the energy that it brings to the floor. I fell in love with this music because of the flexibility it has. Progy Djs like Sasha and ZABEILA are also know fitting a lot of breaks into their set.

AdRiaN

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by dj Red Turtle
My usual problem with breaks is not so much the style (ie., oldskool, funky, techy, trancey etc.) but the actual break-beats themselves. I generally need a constant 4/4 kick drum and rolling bassline to be happy on the dancefloor. As a result, I have trouble getting into breaks on most occasions.

So why am I posting in a review thread for a breaks DJs? Well, I do enjoy the occasional interlude (including from Mark Oliver) if it fits properly. I thought Atomic Hooligan did very well in the Guvernment main room.

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
I bet you would love Progy type of breaks it has best of both worlds. The best part about clubs in Toronto it does give you that chance to check out many different types of music in one night, which I find amazing...it shows you how open minded the Toronto scene is.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories