• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

DJ Tiësto --- whats this have to do with techno you say?

kaniz

TRIBE Member
link to full interview.

[FONT=Verdana,]Question: What do you think about the extended use of drugs in the tranceculture, or that the trancemusic is related with drugs.

It's not really true, I mean you see drugs everywhere. If you go to a popconsert or so, it's on all scenes but you see it more on people on the trancescene. I think the trancemusic is the only music you can listen to without taking drugs. You can really feel the emotions in it. You can get on another level without the drugs. If you listen to techno, it so monotone so then you really would need drugs to enjoy it.

*chuckle*

[/FONT]

praktik

TRIBE Member
I think you just need patience as a listener, not drugs... you need to be able to dig "the groove" and love the way elements are added to build it to something killer for that last 2 mins or so when shit goes crazy...

Statements like "you need drugs to listen to techno" make me frustrated...it helps entrench "genre blinkers" on people who love to identify themselves with a certain scene. Ie, it helps cement closed minds shut.... Plus, Im sure a lot of non-trance listeners would say the same about trance, heck, I heard people say that about ALL electronic music!

B frickin' S!!

Last edited:

praktik

TRIBE Member
isoprax said:
You don't need patience. Just music that isn't boring. :p

hehe Im with ya man... but for peeps who are uninitiated to electronic music (we might forget what that's like), used to pop music and such, they DO need a bit of patience to "get it"..... after that they're golden...:)

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

praktik

TRIBE Member
thats cause you've been loving this shit for so long. My only point is a reaction to the "monotone" thing that Tiesto said... To the unitiated, electronic music and techno especially, can sound "monotone" cause its built on repeated patterns. We hear all the little changes and the way things are building cause we're experienced listeners. But to someone who's new to it, they may not hear that....

Its like classical music. You can't really appreciate it until you learn it's form. Tiesto betrays his ignorance of the form of techno by calling it monotone. I'm saying he needs more patience to appreciate it, thats all...

Im DEFINITELY not saying boring music is good if you have more patience, I think a lot of "clickety clack" comin out now wont get any better with more patience thats for sure.... But I am saying that the ignorant need more patience to get it, and it seems the ranks of the ignorant include Tiesto...

Someone like you has got past that point a long time ago, but how many of the uninitiated have you heard say "nothing's happening" to a really great techno track where a LOT def. IS happening? Im sure you must have come across that reaction at some point in your travels...

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
hahahaha
I hope you're typing all that out for yourself ;)

speaking of uninitiated. Hi, I'm Trevor!

praktik

TRIBE Member
isoprax said:
hahahaha
I hope you're typing all that out for yourself ;)

speaking of uninitiated. Hi, I'm Trevor!
hehe, Im at work and its dead.... I truly do have nothing better to do...:)

Oh an Hi right back, I'm jonathan!

grit

TRIBE Member
He actually said 'trance is the ONLY music you can listen to without drugs'.

Outta all the genres out there.

that is just some wack shit.

i guess i wouldn't expect any less from a guy who's donated his life to trance.

HouseHeadSacha

TRIBE Member
grit said:
as much as a diss as that was supposed to be, you cant deny that fact that he is

a- the most famous dj in the world
b- the highest paid dj in the world
c- loaded cuz he "donated his life to trance"

grit

TRIBE Member
HouseHeadSacha said:
as much as a diss as that was supposed to be, you cant deny that fact that he is

a- the most famous dj in the world
b- the highest paid dj in the world
c- loaded cuz he "donated his life to trance"
a- don't care
b- don't care
c- don't care

sweetdaddy

TRIBE Member
if you want to spice up your techno add a dash of electro (putting pepper on a prime rib)...but for god's sake don't chnage your tastes completely and live off on trance diet (switching to skittles)

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Skipper

TRIBE Member
I remember tiesto, at one point, actually vouching for techno. It had to be at least 2 or 3 years ago that I read that somewhere.

What goes around comes around...a couple of years ago Barbara played Monegros festival and wore a shirt printed with a bullseye on Paul Oakenfold's head and beneath it was printed "destroy trance."

deevah

TRIBE Member
wtf is a popconsert?

tiesto mispells his own speech?

from another section:

Question: Did you use a playlist for Magik 6 - Live in Amsterdam ?

Yeah, I used a playlist because when you sell the CD you have to have promission to record the tracks before you use them so when I recorded it I knew which track that was going to be next. I'm very happy with the result because I took a really big risk recording it live in Amsterdam.

Mike Goodwin

TRIBE Member
grit said:
He actually said 'trance is the ONLY music you can listen to without drugs'.

Outta all the genres out there.

that is just some wack shit.

LOL! you are right that is dam funny

Jonesy

TRIBE Member
praktik said:
thats cause you've been loving this shit for so long. My only point is a reaction to the "monotone" thing that Tiesto said... To the unitiated, electronic music and techno especially, can sound "monotone" cause its built on repeated patterns. We hear all the little changes and the way things are building cause we're experienced listeners. But to someone who's new to it, they may not hear that....

Its like classical music. You can't really appreciate it until you learn it's form. Tiesto betrays his ignorance of the form of techno by calling it monotone. I'm saying he needs more patience to appreciate it, thats all...

Im DEFINITELY not saying boring music is good if you have more patience, I think a lot of "clickety clack" comin out now wont get any better with more patience thats for sure.... But I am saying that the ignorant need more patience to get it, and it seems the ranks of the ignorant include Tiesto...

Someone like you has got past that point a long time ago, but how many of the uninitiated have you heard say "nothing's happening" to a really great techno track where a LOT def. IS happening? Im sure you must have come across that reaction at some point in your travels...

your particular explanation of "music appreciation" is just that, yours.

praktik

TRIBE Member
lol

didnt know my first post in this thread would lead to such complications. All im saying is the uninitiated to techno (and electronica) will oftentimes say "its so repetitive"... They need time to adjust is all...

And ya, everything I say is just my opinion after all, I'm not pretending to be an authority on anything here... but Im surprised at how difficult it has been to convey my thoughts on this topic!

Stop being so damned difficult people! :D

Last edited:
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories