• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

DJ ROLANDO -Detroit/ UR - Sat. June 1st

whitelabel_tm

TRIBE Member
The NEO-TECHNO series is proud to present the third event with the highly anticipated Toronto debut of producer/dj ROLANDO of the Underground Resistance. Be prepared to hear the creator of the Detroit anthem, 'Knights of the Jaguar' lay down a very exclusive set of Detroit house and techno.

NEO-TECHNO series:02

Sat. June 1st, 2002

An Exclusive Engagement and Toronto Debut:

DJ ROLANDO, AZTEC MYSTIC / UR Crew- Detroit

Greg Gow / restructured

Todd Sines live / planet e, peacefrog, residual

Gerald aka Matrix / djshows.com

@ turbo downstairs 360 adelaide st.w
rear entrance 416.408.2646

limited advance tickets: $18 / more @ the door
available at: Metropolis, Vice, Play de Record, Eastern Bloc
19+/ 10-5
www.neo-techno.com
teknomass@hotmail.com

Destro Sanchez

TRIBE Member
WHHHHHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT?
TTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEE
FFFFFFFFFFFFFF.........................................

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU...

DESTRO!!!

matty

TRIBE Member
Sweet :D I'm checking this one out for sure. I really dig the Aztec Mystic mix that Rolando did on UR. I also remember, and oddmyth might be able to back me up on this one, Rolando doing some bad-ass double copying at DEMF 2000. Should be solid music all night long.

So many techno events going on right now. Clarke, Tikiman, Avant Mutek, Mutek, and now Rolando! I haven't gone out this much in a few years. Keep 'em coming! :D

Technocratic Girl

TRIBE Member
X-cellent... great line=up!
And I am happy to see that Rolando was booked too...
looking forward to this party.

Neo techno events are booking x-cellent djs... IMHO

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
G

wh00p so glad this event is going down... SPREAD THE WH()rd
lets make sure that everyone knows this event is goin to be the shizzzit... i'm glad that the neo techno peoples are goign ahead wtih this event, lets show our support n sperad teh wh0rd n make sure this party goes off....

<--- sOOOOOOOO cant wait...

whitelabel_tm

TRIBE Member
For your reading pleasure...

DJ NAME: DJ ROLANDO

Artist quote:

“People keep telling me ‘Jaguar’ is the track of 2000.
But at the end of the day it’s just a good piece of music”

Selected discography:

The Aztec Mystic ‘The Aztec Mystic’ (UR 12)
The Aztec Mystic ‘Knights Of The Jaguar’ EP (UR 12)
Aztec Mystic ‘Mi Raza’ (UR 12 from the Interstellar Fugitives LP)
The Aztec Mystic ‘Aztlan’ (UR/430 West 12)
Various ' DJ Rolando Aztec Mystic Mix’ (UR LP)

The knowledge:

Where’s he from? South West Detroit, aka Mexican-town

What’s his story?

The young Rolando grew up playing hip hop and Latin music as everyone did in his hood. Then, inspired by Jeff Mills’ legendary eclectic show on local radio, he was introduced to all kinds of new music, including crucially, the local Detroit techno scene

Why’s he important?

Well, he’s a member of UR for a start. UR who?
UR – Underground Resistance, simultaneously a record label and a collective of ultra underground techno artists and DJs operating out of Detroit. They were set up in 1988 by Jeff Mills and the seriously shadowy ‘Mad’ Mike Banks and see themselves as soldiers of the underground, fighting a battle against the evils of corporate record company propaganda.

So what’s Rolando role in all this?

Well, initially, he was just another footsoldier, but then in mid 1999 he made a record called ‘Knights Of The Jaguar’ and everything went ballistic.
How come? Well, it’s a sensational record for a start, a classic piece of Detroit techno up there on a par with Derrick May’s ‘Strings Of Life’. It went from being an underground hit in Detroit, then word spread across the global underground scene until it eventually became an anthem in Ibiza.

That good was it?

Yup, in fact it was so good that the dance division of Sony Records in Germany decided that they’d like to do their own version of it. Sounds dodgy: It gets better…. Instead of trying to license the track from the UR label, Sony decided to record a ‘tone by tone’ trance cover version the track – without permission. Inevitably, Rolando and UR weren’t very happy when they found out

So what happened? UR got hold of various e-mail addresses and phone numbers for the culprits at Sony and encouraged people across the world to contact them and ask for the new version to be withdrawn

Did it work? Sort of. Sony did release their version, but then they withdrew it, which was fine, until UR found out they’d just sold the new version to BMG, one of the biggest labels in the world, who went on to put it out on vinyl, CD and even made a video.

So no happy ending then? Well yes and no. UR did get shafted, but the whole affair put Rolando on the map, and it also showed that techno was still capable of throwing up amazing music. It also dragged UR - and Detroit - out of the shadows and into the spotlight. Plus, UR managed to get Derrick May, who hadn’t made any music for about 8 years, to do a remix of the track, which is a miracle in itself.

n.b. Dj Rolando has a new release out this week. Cheers!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

oddmyth

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by m..m
Sweet :D I'm checking this one out for sure. I really dig the Aztec Mystic mix that Rolando did on UR. I also remember, and oddmyth might be able to back me up on this one, Rolando doing some bad-ass double copying at DEMF 2000. Should be solid music all night long.
YES INDEED !! Rolando was definitelty a high point for me that night in Detroit. Bad ass is right, that was the most solid double copying of techno I have ever heard , now if I could just remember the track, cuz I've wanted it for years.

Cheers
[odd]?[io]

Time

TRIBE Promoter
^^^ I believe the track in question is S.I.D. #5, or it could be #3 - it has green and yellow colours on the label (that i know for sure).

Cheers!

G

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by whitelabel_tm
@ turbo downstairs 360 adelaide st.w
rear entrance 416.408.2646
after this weekend's sonic debacle, i would strongly recommend doing something different in terms of the sound arrangement - its truly painful down there with the current setup they have goin on.

muchos gracias,
tommy

BigBadBaldy

TRIBE Member
I agree 100% with M. leSmalls. Although Kenny's set didn't sound too bad..

BBB.

I almost peed in my panties when I saw the flyers for this on Saturday night.

matty

TRIBE Member
No dobut Tommy. I was really looking forward to this event. However, I don't think I'm going to attend anymore after the damage that was inflicted upon me on Saturday.

If for some reason I do go I might just bring a little poster that says "Turn down the fucking volume you tool' and dance around in front of the DJ booth with it.

Chaos

TRIBE Member
I hate to be redundant...

Having been victimized myself this past saturday at the hands of Turbo's brutally loud onslaught, I can't help but toss in my 2 cents as well.

TOO FUCKING LOUD. What could have been an awesome set was altogether ruined.

For his big debut (Rolando), could he not be somewhere proper?

C.

tommysmalls

TRIBE Member
Re: I hate to be redundant...

Originally posted by Chaos
TOO FUCKING LOUD. What could have been an awesome set was altogether ruined.

For his big debut (Rolando), could he not be somewhere proper?

C.
i don't think a change in venue is really whats needed - i just think they need to put a compressor/limiter on what they've got so that the volume is capped appropriately. I've played the basement before, and i was astonished at how loud it was when the master out was at 2, let alone up at 6 or 7 or higher.

ideally, keep the master volume down, and plunk in 4 bins so that we can feel the beats in our chest, and not in our inner ear.

Chaos

TRIBE Member
change of venue...

The venue change was based not on sound system alone (which i'm sure could be better, levels aside)...It'd be nice to see someone for the first time somewhere different, not necessarily new, but different fromthe norm...

It's too bad x-it/digital whatever had to get all, well, comfort zone-y...I liked that, hmmm, pit thing in the middle of the downstairs... i'm thinking...Phryl party, Nov. 2000, Switch (i think...)

Well, i'm gonna stop complaining and start getting hyped for Richie!!!

See you all wednesday,

c.

Time

TRIBE Promoter
I really hope they get the sound fixed for this event. I've always thought the sound downstairs was a little piercing.

As mentioned before - It would be a shame for Rolando's first appearance to be marred by crappy sound.

G