1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

DJ Mix CDs, bad principle?

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Chiclet, Oct 13, 2005.

1. Chiclet

Chiclet TRIBE Promoter

So I went to a meeting tonight to organize a charity event and suggested a means of increasing revenue as giving mix CDs for a small donation.

The questions of the legality and prinicple came up from one of the members.

If this is bad prinicple, then wouldn't just having DJs play an event be wrong?

I know it's a grey area, but do you think it's bad? Is there a legal, feasible way for EDM DJs to fully legally perform or distribute the music they play? Seeing as how most of us barely make enough to cover the cost of the music alone?

If you don't think it's bad prinicple, how would you explain it to someone who doesn't listen to EDM?

2. Old Yeller

Old Yeller TRIBE Member

i don't really understand waht you are trying to say.

but djs are protected generally as long as they put "promo only not for resale" on the disc or cases.

if you need discs copied or printed, maybe i can do it tho!

3. physix

physix TRIBE Member

^ is that the case in Canada?

because "only for promo use" doesn't exempt
    people in the US...

you record something
    you hand it out
    you just distributed something
    regardless of if payment is made or not.

so, is it different in canada...? or is
    this just a similarly misunderstanding
    of copyright law?

but Djs would be protected with their
    Djing at events because the VENUE
    should be paying some sort of fee to
    the music agencies (like we have
    ASCAP and BMI in the US, i'm not
    sure about canada)... so THAT's how
    you can NOT feel bad about having
    djs at an event.

4. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

It's a grey area, but the fact is that almost all labels are cool with it if you throw in a track list with enough info so that people can find out more about the music if they wish.

If DJs can't spread mixes, then where are the gigs coming from, and what kind of motivation would they have for buying as much music as they do, and then how would the labels get by, and the artists get paid? It's all a big interconnected web that depends on a deregulated sort of approach to "the mix"... I question charging $20 for a mix CD, but when you've got a cover kickin and you're sellin them for $10 I say who cares?

Especially if it's for charity, jeebus.

5. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

I'm still waiting for some clown to really rip into me for distributing mixes as wave files with bittorrent, actually.

6. AshG

AshG Member

you're right on all counts.

that little "for promotional use only" line always makes me laugh - it provides no protection whatsoever.

generally its just an accepted thing in the underground music community, but by no means is it legal.

7. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

egads man....everyone run.....if u r GIVING stuff away the police will be onto u in seconds...since we live in a crime free country and all......if u state that it is a free cd and are making NO money whatsover...im pretty sure that the 5-0 will be onto u in 0 seconds flat....now if u were to shoot someone and then jam a cd into the wound,,,,david miller will usher in a free cd/shoot out focus group and u will be given 10 million dollars to rehabilitate yourself and any other charity cd givers.....

8. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

technically you need a license for every track you use in your mix intended for sale

but of course, this isn't feasible for every joe shmoe dj mix out there

so we use tracks in our mixes without license

now for Global Underground or Fabric to use unlicensed tracks, would be a punished crime

9. basketballjones

basketballjones TRIBE Member

HEY!!!!!!!!
    my name happens to be Joe Schmoe....u now owe me loot......

if u dont pay me X amount of dolla's...my legal team of Ernst and JUlio Gallo will be on u like a bum on a bottle of listerine

10. why not

why not TRIBE Member

when complaining about having to license tracks to do legal mixes, remember that licensing and compilations are what generally make more money for the artist who wrote the track than the vinyl ever will.
    it might seem annoying that it's not legal to sell your own mix CDs, but without that bit of protection it would be very hard for many electronic musicians to make a living on it.

11. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

Sure, but there's a diff between GU and spending the cash to print up a couple hundred of your own and make back maybe five bucks.

I sort of doubt labels/artists take small amounts - if you're going to ask at all it'll probably be some regular fee they'd also be throwing at the big boys, making the whole thing pointless.

12. why not

why not TRIBE Member

someone i know was looking into how to do small runs legally, and they said it actually wasn't that costly or complicated.

however, i'll believe it when i see it.

small labels won't really care, you're right, but it's still not legal, therefore few stores will sell them anymore, and selling them for charity might not fly with the charity.

13. physix

physix TRIBE Member

yeah, but if you become extremely popular....
    and RIAA got really desperate, they COULD
    target you... who cares about the cops.

i fear businessmen.

14. miss riot

miss riot TRIBE Promoter

EDM? Emergency Dance Maneouvers? New coinage? Me out of the loop?

15. Sleepy Giant

Sleepy Giant TRIBE Member

EDM = Electronic Dance Music

The outfit that protects the rights of published music in Canada is called SOCAN.

16. physix

physix TRIBE Member

by more than 10 years apparently. ;)

edm came in as soon as 'electronica'
    went out...

(about 3 months after it was coined, by my figures)

17. zoo

zoo TRIBE Member

EDM and EBM are possibly the two stupidest genre names/acronyms ever.

18. basilisk

basilisk TRIBE Member

EBM makes total sense in a German context, imho.

[​IMG]