• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

DJ 3PO's Old School Set From FOCUS is Online!

D-Monic

TRIBE Member
If you were there this past Saturday at FOCUS in Charlie's, you know how awesome DJ 3PO's set was.

He played tunes I'd never even heard before. Tunes from the late 80's and early 90's. I think the newest record in his set was made in early 95. Now THAT'S Old School. Not the 'old records' that we're used to hearing. REAL Old School...

If you weren't there... well... shame on you. ;)

But, you can see what you missed! The MP3 of DJ 3PO's amazing old school set is now online EXCLUSIVELY for members of the Pure Phunk Group.

If you're not a member of the Pure Phunk group... why not?

You can have news and info about upcoming breaks events delivered right to you instead of having to search it out for yourself!

Join Now!

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/purephunk/

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

D-Monic

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by docta seuss
..a few beat matching issues, but it happens to all of us.. :)
I challenge YOU to mix those records flawlessly. :p

It's very, very hard to do. Some of those old records are sequenced poorly, or have live drums, or the drum loops are off. Producers didn't have the luxury of Cubase or Logic back then.

I think I have listened to this set about 20 times now... I can't get enough if it.

FOCUS is off to a great start for 2004. Atomic Hooligan 2 weeks ago, 3PO's awesome old school set last week, Melting Man this week...

Wow.

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by D-Monic
I challenge YOU to mix those records flawlessly. :p

It's very, very hard to do. Some of those old records are sequenced poorly, or have live drums, or the drum loops are off. Producers didn't have the luxury of Cubase or Logic back then.

I think I have listened to this set about 20 times now... I can't get enough if it.

FOCUS is off to a great start for 2004. Atomic Hooligan 2 weeks ago, 3PO's awesome old school set last week, Melting Man this week...

Wow.
Seriously. Breaks DJs used to have to WORK for thier money back when those records were made. Man, i played an oldschool/rarity set that night too and it was one of the most difficul;t an unrewarding things (technically that is, everybody loved the set)I've ever done. People really don't understand fully how HARD that shit really is.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
somebody should set up a label dedicated to getting the rights for all those tasty old school tracks which are on long-defunkt labels...

D-Monic

TRIBE Member
Well, the response to this set has been great.

Like I said, it's only a taste of the vibe that goes down at Charlie's every Saturday night.

Tell ya what I'm gonna do....

For this week only, I'm gonna open up the guestlist to whoever wants to come out.

Simply go HERE and get yourself on the list.

I know none of you want to miss the 2Wars CD Release Party that's happening this weekend.

Free CD's! Melting Man! Madness!

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
anyone know the names of the tracks at the following times in the mix?¿

14:30

33:13

i think i'd give a limb for these records...

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
This set is indeed sicknis.

I had no idea 3P0 had that shit in him! every other time I've seen him it's been wicked house anthems all the way. He gets some SERIOUS bigups from me on this one, yummy yum yum.

Oh and Dan, isn't that Soulstice record past '95?

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
Is it even Soulstice? It sounds so much like the Soulstice vs. Dj Curse from that Tectonics series/album thingy a while back. Superfunk wasn;t it? I forget. You probably know tho :)

Big League Chu

TRIBE Member
I have a lot of those old records cause I collect them as a hobby. As Dan says they are hard to mix cause of varying tempos or you just have to know the record well enough to cut.

Docta Seuss
The track that has the M U S I C f thats is the one you mean is:
The Dynamic Guv'nors present Jazzy Jason -M.U.S.I.C. (Use It)

docta seuss

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Big League Chu

Docta Seuss
The track that has the M U S I C f thats is the one you mean is:
The Dynamic Guv'nors present Jazzy Jason -M.U.S.I.C. (Use It)
yes, that's the one. good gravy, t'is a funky track indeed! thank you.. i s'pose this means if i get the track i owe you a limb.. preferences¿:p

nuttz

TRIBE Member
Track I.D. Please.

What is the name of the ragga track at the 44:30 mark.
I have an old Eric Davenport tape with that track on it and always wondered what it was called.