• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Divine Sundays @ The Comfort Zone

BarneyIllfingas

TRIBE Member
Luke's evening quicky at the Zone brought me to a venue that I thought I'd never enter again. To my surprise it wasn't nearly as terrible as I thought. Looking past the clothing optional section in the middle of the room and the stench of a club open 40 hours within two days, the sound is okay and the vibe pretty cool. Luke played a darker, rougher section of his "RECORD" bag, debuting some of the heaviest selections for the first time. His wicked set and the great little crew we had in support capped a perfect "locals only" weekend.

SJN

TRIBE Member
i have yet to meet someone who has actually played a game of pool there.....who are these people?

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

why not

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by SJN
i have yet to meet someone who has actually played a game of pool there.....who are these people?

are you talking about the upstairs pool room at the silver dollar?

my band played there on thursday, and the booker decided to gamble all the door money on a game of pool.

luckily he won, so we got paid.

lucky1

TRIBE Member
I saw a girl get fucked on the pool table at Bassmint, or Healy's as it's called now. It was pretty fucked up

Smiley Jo

TRIBE Member
I'm not sure what this is about.... :confused:
I saw it when I was checking the Devine Productions site for set times @ Comfort Zone today.
Looks like the club and promoters have parted ways; if that's the case I just hope the Zone resident DJs aren't affected.

Dear Devine Sunday’s Goers,
Due to circumstances beyond our control, Devine Sunday’s will no longer be hosting your Sunday Party. The people who own the location where we have been throwing our parties for the last 8 years has decided to do things on their own so they do not have pay us for our services to work on your Sunday parties. We have filled their location every Sunday for the last 8 years making them money and keeping them busy, alive and well known. It seems that there are people in this world who are greedy and don’t care about other people or what has been done for them and want it all for themselves. I will personally miss every party, every DJ, every person that I have met along the way. I will miss working on every event for Devine Sundays.

Devine started the event back in February 1997, where we had an opportunity to bring back the after-party that everyone had loved previously at the 480 Spadina location. Devine personally hand picked each individual DJ that ever played for you each week to make your Sunday so great. We always provided you with great music, new idea’s, new flyers and the most amazing vibe that could not be beat. Devine also brought you the most amazing New Year’s Day after parties year by year ever seen in Toronto. We were there after every “rave”, every Industry Party, every Guvernment party, every New Years Party and many, many more.

I would love if you could all email us with your best Devine Sunday moment, which we will display for all to read. Also, if you have any digital pictures we will post them as well.

Devine Sunday’s was created for you, for a place to and enjoy yourself. If you feel there is a need for a new Devine Event somewhere else in this city, we will make it happen. Tell us your favorite location, night of the week, DJ’s and whatever else you can think of that you would want at a party and we will try and make this event for you.

Please write to info@devineproductions.com
Thanks to all for your support throughout the years!

Anyone have any info?

SJ
hate.gif

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Smiley Jo
I'm not sure what this is about.... :confused:
I saw it when I was checking the Devine Productions site for set times @ Comfort Zone today.
Looks like the club and promoters have parted ways; if that's the case I just hope the Zone resident DJs aren't affected.

Dear Devine Sunday’s Goers,
Due to circumstances beyond our control, Devine Sunday’s will no longer be hosting your Sunday Party. The people who own the location where we have been throwing our parties for the last 8 years has decided to do things on their own so they do not have pay us for our services to work on your Sunday parties. We have filled their location every Sunday for the last 8 years making them money and keeping them busy, alive and well known. It seems that there are people in this world who are greedy and don’t care about other people or what has been done for them and want it all for themselves. I will personally miss every party, every DJ, every person that I have met along the way. I will miss working on every event for Devine Sundays.

Devine started the event back in February 1997, where we had an opportunity to bring back the after-party that everyone had loved previously at the 480 Spadina location. Devine personally hand picked each individual DJ that ever played for you each week to make your Sunday so great. We always provided you with great music, new idea’s, new flyers and the most amazing vibe that could not be beat. Devine also brought you the most amazing New Year’s Day after parties year by year ever seen in Toronto. We were there after every “rave”, every Industry Party, every Guvernment party, every New Years Party and many, many more.

I would love if you could all email us with your best Devine Sunday moment, which we will display for all to read. Also, if you have any digital pictures we will post them as well.

Devine Sunday’s was created for you, for a place to and enjoy yourself. If you feel there is a need for a new Devine Event somewhere else in this city, we will make it happen. Tell us your favorite location, night of the week, DJ’s and whatever else you can think of that you would want at a party and we will try and make this event for you.

Please write to info@devineproductions.com
Thanks to all for your support throughout the years!

Anyone have any info?

SJ
hate.gif

meh.... not like they actually did anything anyways. THe party runs itself.

isoprax

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by SJN

I've played pool there. it was almost 5 years ago I think by now, but I did it ;)

el Guapo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ev
meh.... not like they actually did anything anyways. THe party runs itself.

the party may run itself now but it took the work of many people over many years to bring it to what it is today. this happens all the time in our scene and to be honest it's bullshit. greed has no place and this is another example of that.

there's reason there's a shortage of quality promoters and a ton of tiny little parties happening all over the place. this may or may not be the case in this particular incident but my point is that we should respect the work done by promoters and not encourage this "owners mentality" that destroys the essence of what we (as partiers & music lovers) try to build.

note: no disrespect to all the promoters currently working out there. keep up the good work ;)

litespeed

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by el Guapo
the party may run itself now but it took the work of many people over many years to bring it to what it is today. this happens all the time in our scene and to be honest it's bullshit. greed has no place and this is another example of that.

there's reason there's a shortage of quality promoters and a ton of tiny little parties happening all over the place. this may or may not be the case in this particular incident but my point is that we should respect the work done by promoters and not encourage this "owners mentality" that destroys the essence of what we (as partiers & music lovers) try to build.

but if the promoter literally doesn't do anything... if you were a club owner would be paying people to do nothing, or would be paying people that are going to get out there, hustle, and make you more money?

el Guapo

TRIBE Member
that's besides the point. there would be nobody in the establishment without the work of the promoters in the first place. they bring the talent they do the legwork they bring in the people that make the owners money. somehow all of this gets forgotten in the mix. not right.

adorablehomeboy

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by lucky1
No the co zo pool table.

It's always been closed everytime I'm there.

The upstairs one is just as interesting. Especially when you just chill and play with yourself and wanna just sink some balls.

Fuct up people come up to you thinking YOU ARE REALLY PLAYING WITH SOMEONE, but since they are fuct up, they can't see them for some reason....:)

Then they try to talk 2 U, and pretty much make no sense, and finally admit after you ask them "Wha?, Wha?" that "Oh, I'm just really fuct right now..."

As for the party running itself, this is true, I don't see much promo done for that place and it doesn't need it IMO

and I don't know what the game plan is now, but do you think most people there would know the diff. between -I dunno how much they are paid- established dj vs. new crew??? Maybe mngmt is trying to $ave.

Or hungry nu.skool crew that will work harder for less? Combine that with people who don't really know the difference between the djs there now and new guys.

My 2 cents. peace

dg0425

TRIBE Member
what did devine do?

Only received a flyer outside another club on a couple occasions.

Never met anyone inside who introduced themselves as a devine prod. promoter or stood out to help when i needed something. I often ran into the sweat productions crew who would talk to you and give you a free entry card for one of their nights but no one from devine.

Never received guestlist for the place. (haha, the thought of that is kind of funny)

Very rarely was the dj list on devineproductions.com updated when I wanted to know who was spinning.

So yeah I totally understand why they got booted. They're lucky they managed to hold that gig for 8years.

sweet_e

TRIBE Member
I am under the impression that the devine sundays crew was responsible for booking all the DJs and as far as I am concerned that is what made Sundays at the zone so good. Ithas the rep of being the best music in town. Without that i doubt many of us would have ever gone there in the first place.

And I have met promoters for devine and have recieved passes. So maybe its just a matter of luck.

Eclipze

TRIBE Member
since i haven't been able to sleep much this past week i decided to hit up the zone to see Ray and Myka throw down. The Zone and i haven't crossed paths in many moons, and i rememberd why when i stepped into the place. SKETCH! that said, i would give my left nut to play there on a sunday. No matter how sketchy the crowd is, they LOVE the music. Well i guess i would too if i was all hopped up on shit, but that's beside the point.. anywhore..back the review.
Ray and Myka had that crowd in the palm of their hands, dropping crazy ass bombs one after another.. serious serious beats...and feedback heheh (finch) why can't music be like this at system, or element? or anywhere else for that fact? or am i missing something here? the music at the zone on sundays is so raw and dirty.
thanks for the company jo and finch... and that dude who kept trying to get me to try his drink lol