• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

District 9

I was a pretty big fan of the first half mockumentary mode of the film. It did a great job of setting tone, giving us the information that we needed in a very matter of fact way and the way that they actually fleshed out the aliens themselves, not going the route of other "visitors have arrived" movies (ie. Independence Day, Close Encounters of the Third Kind), even going so far as to flesh out a bit of culture. Was kind of impressed and repulsed at the idea of interspecies sex that they hinted at as well. I also really liked how they made the aliens repulsive in their habits, but not irredeemable. They did a great job of making them sympathetic as the film goes on without going into a "noble monster" stereotype which I was thinking it was going to go.

The abandonment of the mockumentary format is jarring, but I think the director went as far as he could with the format and would have had a hard time separating itself from movies like Cloverfield if they had continued. While the action sequences get pretty routine, I do admire the Cronenberg vibe Blomkamp was emulating (limbs being blown up) with the action sequences.

It exceeded my high expectations, and I would place it on par with the Star Trek reboot.

atomic

TRIBE Member
It wasn't at all what I was expecting either. It felt like the first chapter of a larger story with so much more to tell. Holy upcoming sequels Batman. District 10 anyone?

I felt like the humans were a bunch of assholes for giving the aliens such a shitty place to live. A 5-star resort isn't what I'm talking about, but give them SOMETHING better considering the magnitude of an alien species making first contact with us hu-mans.

CG effects seem to be finally getting past its growing pains. Creature and robotic models blended very nicely with the live surroundings- from a technical standpoint and an emotional one as well. Go Weta.

kuba

TRIBE Member
Very appropriate to set it in Joburg. I disagree with your ranking of seven/ten. I think its much better than that. Anyways I can't counter argue because it's too late other than I really REALLY really loved this movie.

enjiro

TRIBE Member
It wasn't at all what I was expecting either. It felt like the first chapter of a larger story with so much more to tell. Holy upcoming sequels Batman. District 10 anyone?

I felt like the humans were a bunch of assholes for giving the aliens such a shitty place to live. A 5-star resort isn't what I'm talking about, but give them SOMETHING better considering the magnitude of an alien species making first contact with us hu-mans.

CG effects seem to be finally getting past its growing pains. Creature and robotic models blended very nicely with the live surroundings- from a technical standpoint and an emotional one as well. Go Weta.
<cg in canada plug>

ahem.. as one of the supervisors for the movie, working on the alien and mothership effects, I would respectfully like to say that Weta was not involved in the creatures at all. In fact, they were done in Vancouver! The robot was also created in Vancouver by a different facility.

</plug>

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Spiritual_Thang

TRIBE Member
Pretty neat film; looking forward to the sequel.

Overall though, can't put it ahead of Cloverfield which I felt had a better flow. Both films though stand-out as the front-runners in their ability to slice CGI with reality so seamlessly. The film is beautiful to watch.

In a weird way the movie felt like Starship Troopers fused with The Office. I wish the writers could of found ways to keep the mockumentary format going for the film's entirety. The third act, or shoot-out act got a way a little bit.

8/10 --> highly entertaining, had the potential to be GREAT though. Cloverfield is still my pick for aliens caught on camera.

gollum

TRIBE Member
I wouldn't call cloverfield an "alien" movie at all, and while I really liked it, I think this movie was far better.

atomic

TRIBE Member
<cg in canada plug>

ahem.. as one of the supervisors for the movie, working on the alien and mothership effects, I would respectfully like to say that Weta was not involved in the creatures at all. In fact, they were done in Vancouver! The robot was also created in Vancouver by a different facility.

</plug>
Thanks for the clarification. Excellent work. Go home grown talent!

d.code

TRIBE Member
Yes. Mad props to the Canadian VFX houses. This movie (for me) has possibly the best CG I have ever seen. It was blended very well.. I think the use of natural lighting and not over doing the designed look of each shot really helped.

I thought this movie was amazing. I liked the way it shifted from mokumentry to bourne style shaky cam. The tension built nicely and I was ready for the back story to fade off. The first 30-40 minutes are very well thought out. I was sucked right in and believing every second of it. The action felt a bit dragged out near the middle- but the mech really saved it for me.

I think props need to go out to Christopher and his kid. Seriously believable characters and I felt for them.

I just wish that at the end there was a bit more mokumentry style stuff to round out the close of the movie and some kind of set up for district 10.

afterglow

TRIBE Member
I enjoyed the movie up until the final scene when someone in the theatre burst out in laughter like a hyena.

gsnuff

TRIBE Promoter
Imho

.. and I would place it on par with the Star Trek reboot.
Me too, which is how bad I though it was. This movie could have been brilliant if it was directed by Paul Verhoeven.

20 years later and the social commentary and body-horror bidness of Robocop and The Fly feels more contemporary than this bloated pig of a movie. That big ship looked pretty cool though...

kyfe

TRIBE Member
It was a good movie but I was expecting better. The first half was interestingly half was done well but the second half kind of missed the target.

It dealt with some social issues using aliens which made it interesting to relate to. The effects were well intigrated however it wasn't really a sci fi movie aside from having aliens

Hipsterave

TRIBE Promoter
I liked it not the greatest Ive ever seen but definately a good watch. Just saw an interview with the main star and he was saying that pretty much 90% of the dialogue was improvised. They were told do these 3 things in the scene and Go!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

JamesM

TRIBE Member
uhh this isn't my house.

There's nothing in there.

oh great. f**ing cops.

those parts I giggled.

JamesM

TRIBE Member
Okay movie. Nothing special.
I think it was special, Myself I wish it was more like sci fi. B/c I would have dug the storyline behind the aliens more and what their deal is. But having said that it was a pretty good satire/contrast against what seems like our collective attitude towards refugees/racism, and all that stuff.

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I thought it was great, especially in a sea of shit movies that have come out this summer.

The fact that I could feel empathy for CGI ugly motherfucking aliens and the humans were emotionless in comparison had me thinking.

Can't wait for a sequel when the aliens return to reap what the humans have sewn.

d.code

TRIBE Member
Yeah I dont quite get that a lot of people seem to be saying this movie is very middle of the road. I thought it was great though i do understand how the last hour is a bit of a tease and a let down. Eiher way i found it to be quite a breath of fresh air in a very very very stale genre. I liked that it didn't tread at all into traditional sci-fi territory too much.

I imagine it would score more points with people if at the end and through the action there were more interviews and mokumentry style stuff worked in about the aliens and the unfolding events instead of just following the mayhem.

I give it an 8/10

Boss Hog

TRIBE Member
I wasn't even aware that it broke the doc format until I read it in here. The movie kept me going along so that I forgot about that. I thought the end sequence was great too. I loved the Nigerian gang leader's way out, haha! Nice reference to either Aliens or Robocop with that kick ass robot at the end.

Also nice to see someone on here actually worked on the film. Great job!

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Jeffsus

TRIBE Member
Whoever mentioned 'cloverfield', just watched it and...

... a pretty shallow rehash of a movie and once i grasped the plot I was scared of: "Uh uh, I bet this is gonna be it -- big strange monster comes and wrecks new york -- that's the whole entire plot." And, of course, I was right.

So fun to watch, one time, but it's absurd, simple, and flat. No wonder I never heard about it.

It's a combo of the cheesiest elements of godzilla, alien, and blair witch. The dialogue is: "Rob! Rob! Rob! Oh shit! Rob! ROB! Rob! Rob! Rob! (crashing noises) Rob!".

Maybe my opinion is bitter cause I haven't smoked in 24 hours.

-jM
A&D

rubytuesday

TRIBE Member
<cg in canada plug>

</plug>
*high five* Nigel, that's amazing. Looking forward to seeing it this week.