1. Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, Toronto's largest and longest running online community. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register on the forum. You can register with your facebook ID or with an email address. Join us!

Disney May Close It's Doors On Traditional 2-D Animated Features

Discussion in 'TRIBE Main Forum' started by Cheer Bear, Aug 28, 2003.

1. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

Story Here

"Word is that Disney will be closing the door on traditional 2-D animation in the coming months, and if you were an employee in the animation studios, you were either told to drop your pen and paintbrush and pick up a computer, or you were shown the door.

Traditional animators are a dying breed in the new 3-D culture at Walt Disney, as Michael Eisner declares that "2-D is dead". Eisner has panicked given the poor box office that movies like Atlantis and Treasure Planet, for example, have shown. Disney has two traditional animated features in the pipeline for the coming year, Brother Bear and Home on the Range. Those are expected to be the last feature films featuring 2-D hand-drawn animation that Disney produces."

2. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

This truly breaks my heart.

The Little Mermaid was the first film I ever saw in the theatre.

I can't even imagine Disney not making 2-D films anymore.

3. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

heh.. that's okay.

3d can be made to look like 2d animation anyways.

(YAY PUSH OF A BUTTON!)

cya'll later computer illiterate animators!

4. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

Way to destroy a dying art form Disney.

Not surprising.

5. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

It's not surprising, but am I the only one that was in awe of how animated features were made?

I mean...it took alot of time and skill.

each drawing, each scene....

it'll be gone with a click on the keyboard.

so sad.

6. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

how are DISNEY destroying a dying art form?

there are people all over the world who create works in 2-d animation... HELLOO macromedia FLASH?

it's just not profitable for disney anymore so they're moving on. no surprise.

smart move actually.

7. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

hehe... try millions upon millions of clicks on the keyboard

just because it's on the computer, doesnt make it easy.

8. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

I know it's not easy, and I think what you and others do is amazing.

I know it would've gone sooner or later, but it's still poopy. ;)

9. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

you should take this opportunity to fill your library with timeless classics and your favorites!

now available in high quality digital video discs for extended shelf life!

buy them all now before they cryogenically freeze the whole company for future ressurection.

10. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

hahaha....i have em all on VHS...gotta switch over to dvd ;)

11. Dam That SnarkEE Kid

Dam That SnarkEE Kid TRIBE Member

that is retardo.

2d animation isn't what is creating shitty movies.

bad plots, cliche characters, and overused storylines are what make them bad.

hello, don't make atlantis the movie, or hercules followed by tarzan. the new disnet animated movie being released is like the lion king except with a bear.

disney, get better story creators and more inventive and imaginative staff.

what makes pixar so great is that they are good *storytellers*, regardless of how many dimensions they have.

wtf.

12. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

Okay let me restate. Disney is not single-handedly destroying 2-D illustration.

However, as the largest animation house in the world (correct me if I'm wrong though, I'm not familiar with Asian markets etc.) they're un-employing anyone with "old" skills who aren't willing to adopt the new ones. So artists who want jobs will strive to learn how to draw through a computer, leaving the art of hand-illustration behind.

Ever look at one of those old old buildings with all the great stone and wood detail and say "they could never make that today... the tradespeople and skill just don't exist anymore...?"

Disney might not be solely to blame but it does have an effect, considering they're the biggest.

13. Cheer Bear

Cheer Bear TRIBE Member

YES.

14. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

HEAR HEAR!

15. The Peej

The Peej TRIBE Member

This is TERRIBLE

Man I'm glad I opted not to go to Sheridan to pursue my bream of animating for Disney!

Peej

16. JayIsBored

JayIsBored TRIBE Member

and they need to stop using fagasses like phil collins and elton john for their goddamn annoying as fuck soundtracks.

17. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

haha. They should stop raping classic fairy tales and folklore while they're at it (a la Little Mermaid).

18. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

Umm... in case you didnt know.... hand illustration skills translate directly into the comptuer using tablets and other such techno doodads... the only thing that's no longer there is the paper... so you're wrong about that. :)

we could still make one... we just dont anymore... modern day and tech has no time for ornamentation and detail.. only steel and windows.

19. Gizmo

Gizmo TRIBE Member

On the subject of Pixar...with the release of Finding Nemo, it ends their deal with Disney. They signed on with a 50/50 agreement before Toy Story to use Disney's marketing muscle and dsitribution capabilities.

Disney is attempting to negotiate a new deal, but Pixar has said they might go alone. (Thier product is a cash cow) Anyway, Disney did place significant restrictions on Pixar in terms of story content. The expectations are that if Pixar goes it alone, look for more mature content, possibly with violence etc. to appeal to the adult market.

20. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

IN FACT!

we could actually make one easyer and faster using modern stone mold and casting techniques that were less available in times of yore...

so NEAH!

21. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

So you can use a computerized pen and drawing pad to create something like this then?

[​IMG]

22. Cheeka

Cheeka TRIBE Member

really???

holy crap I'm old.

I think I was 11 or 12 or so when that came out

23. KiFe

KiFe TRIBE Member

yup...

easily.... and if you make me prove it to you, i will...... but you shouldnt have to... you should just believe me.

24. This is temporary. I'm pretty certain of it.

25. Boss Hog

Boss Hog TRIBE Member

If it's coming from an artist who can draw by both hand and computer and be satisfied with both... I'll take your word for it.

But I still don't agree that artists who don't have an aptitude for computer art should be left behind.