• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Discussing your Salary

Alex D. from TRIBE on Utility Room

JESuX

TRIBE Member
sometimes, if you're ballsy.

i tried doing that with my boss once, and i realized that 90% of the time, your boss is even more uncomfortable about stuff like this than you are.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

squirrely

TRIBE Member
i don't mean discussing it with your boss (i.e. negotiating). i mean discussing it among friends and/or ballsy acquaintances.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
Depends on the audience, I have some very close friends know a range that's fairly close, but besides my boss and HR, know one else knows. You don't want to throw that around in the workplace. Its pretty frowned upon I think.

When I go to interviews I always give a range, always on the higher side.

Jennika

TRIBE Member
I think the whole code of silence around salaries is silly. If you don't know what other people are making how do you know if you are being paid fairly? I think it's healthy to know what different people in the workforce make... and I'm not jsut talking about discussing salary with co-workers but also with firends and family etc,

it's this whole "don't talk about what you make" attitude that allows employers to under-pay people and not be accountable for their bonus and salary structures

opium_souldjah

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by ChrisD
Depends on the audience, I have some very close friends know a range that's fairly close, but besides my boss and HR, know one else knows. You don't want to throw that around in the workplace. Its pretty frowned upon I think.

When I go to interviews I always give a range, always on the higher side.

I do this as well

wayne kenoff

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Jennika

it's this whole "don't talk about what you make" attitude that allows employers to under-pay people and not be accountable for their bonus and salary structures

excellent point.

kat

TRIBE Member
sometimes..i dont really care too much

but its a private thing.
its a little weird if someone you dont know that well asks you flat out..

at the workplace its mega confidential.

Booty Bits

TRIBE Member
i dont really think its necessary to be as tight-lipped as our society has been on this subject.
if my friend gets a new job, i'm most likely gonna ask them how much they're making, cuz GUESS WHAT? most people my age are working for money, not for some self actualizing journey or some shit.

i think its a perfectly legitimate thing to discuss with people you know and trust.
its just not something i would talk about with anyone who's motives i call into question.

kmac

TRIBE Member

Word up. The veil of secrecy needs to be lifted.

Chris

Well-Known TRIBEr
^^^
I disagree, you can pretty bench mark your skills/experience, and employment into some sort of salary band. Id say if you think your being underpaid, look at what you do, responsibilities, etc. Compare that to other similar occupations, or roles. You will pretty much see if your being under/overpaid or not.

terrawrist III

TRIBE Member
no one's business.

I would never tell people EXACTLY how much I make even if they forced me to drink their pee...well maybe,I'll go off a few bucks

squirrely

TRIBE Member
well, i have just been offered a new job and i am amazed at how many people say "congratulations!" and "how much does it pay?" all in one breath.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
I don't see the problem with it. I don't see how it's rude. It's quite arbitrary to think that talking about how much paper you get for doing tasks is. Why were we so excited to tell people how much lemonade we sold as a kid? Why do we smile for the cameras when we win the lottery?

It's just money, who cares?
I don't tell people what I make sometimes cuz I don't want people to know. Simple as that. Much like how I wouldn't tell someone about the goiter on my left arm or how my mother likes unpointy toothpicks. It's just not something that comes up.
But if someone asks, then sure.

I think the one reason why it's considered rude is because of the REASON why we ask how much someone makes instead of the actual act itself. I find it very rude when my students ask me what I make because I know they just want to use it to make fun of the volunteer tutors I manage over.

And when people ask "how much do you make?" only to use it against you by making you feel guilty for making more than them. It's all about the reasons.

But if someone wants to get into my line of work and wants to know how much I'm getting paid, yeah, sure! If someone is interested in my personal life and how I make enough to subsist, then sure!

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
If everyone knew what I make then you'd all be asking me for cars and bling and that would make me feel uncomfortable. :p

Chubbs

TRIBE Member
Who cares?

I'll tell anyone that asks me what I make, it's not like the universe is going to collapse if people know how much you make.

MoFo

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by squirrely
well, i have just been offered a new job and i am amazed at how many people say "congratulations!" and "how much does it pay?" all in one breath.

Well, I'd want to know how much strippers make too.

So how's that paint-stripping job going? :D

SneakyPete

TRIBE Member
I think the whole code of silence around salaries is silly. If you don't know what other people are making how do you know if you are being paid fairly? I think it's healthy to know what different people in the workforce make... and I'm not jsut talking about discussing salary with co-workers but also with firends and family etc,

Employers pay what people are willing to accept, and employees will take whatever they feel is acceptable. People are not going to take a job that they feel is under-paid. People may take a lower pay if it's a good opportunity for them (ie. good company and will look good on the resume), so the pay is still acceptable to them.

With a little research it is easy to find what you should expect for a particular position along with your qualifications.

chooch

TRIBE Member
think that it depends on the audience that you are speaking to. with my ex it was a big mistake letting him in on how much i earned as it became an issue with him. : /

to Dr. Funk...so that is why you were *bling-bot* on hallowe'en!