• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Dirty Dishes

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
So this is a rant and a question....

How long do u feel it is resonable to leave your dishes laying around? usually the most i will let something sit is a day, but i usually clean everything right after i eat..

My roommate likes to let her shit sit for a week, its like her pattern, she lets them pile up no matter what it is and even if it cakes on and turns sour, she seems to just let dishes sit.
I have given her shit numerous times telling her to please be considerate of others and that we could get bugs.
The only time she seems to do t hem is when i get mad and yell at her to do them, so yeah once a week i throw afit on her to wash her shit, caz if not they sit and i get stuck washing them because i need to use something..
Oh and she always has an excuse why she has not done them:rolleyes:

I hate having to be a mother..

I am thinking of kicking her out, but i dont know if it is to extreme or nuroitic to kick someone out over not washing thier dishes..

Cannabis Seed Wedding Bands

Ditto Much

TRIBE Member
reduce the number of dishes. If she has only 1 bowl she will wash it sooner. To many dishes leads to no need to wash the dish and thus the waiting game.

Big Cheese

TRIBE Member
is it a kitchen thing? (dishes, keeping things clean, etc..) or is she like that about other shared responsibilities in the apt too?

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
that's disgusting

pick up all her dirty dishes and leave it on her bed. That will teach her a lesson.

bitch. then spray her room with pif paf

oh p.s. kick her out - why keep a flithly room mate? what's next? she leaves her used pads on the couch? sick

kaniz

TRIBE Member
A week seems to be a bit long. I'd say like, 3 days tops -- and then even then, thats starting to get a bit stinky.

If she continues to do it, just start throwing her dishes onto her bed saying "its your mess, I shouldnt have to see it" and maybe she'll start to get the clue.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

atbell

TRIBE Member
^^^^ LOL - I used to stick piles of dirty dishes, and mystery dishes that some how got dirty even though "no one" used them, in the middle of high trafic hall ways in the house. It worked well, I'm guessing the bed would work too.

It all depends on the state of the dishes.

Being the relaxed (read:lazy) type of person I have been known to let dishes sit but I am careful to rinse them right after using them.

I'm not sure what is a "reasonable" amount of time to let them go though. I know I sometimes run out of glasses, of which I have 8. But I don't always have food with drinks. Ideally I like the every other day rule, or set up dish days. I guess you really should be doing them right after eating, but that's fairly Utopian in my mind.

Best solution is to move into a place with a dish washer. Trust me it will change your life.

Oh - and I don't think there is a problem with kicking someone out because they are messy / dirty. It will drive you nuts otherwise, especially when you have guests over.

ravinjunkie

TRIBE Member
lazy people. it's so inconsiderate to leave dirty plates. You're not the only person living in the house.

How long does it take just to wash it? why on the earth would you want to waste more money running a dishwasher for no apparently reason?

disgusting flithly murbs.

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
yeah thing that makes me more mad is they are all my dishes, she came here from BC w/nothing.

i do have to nag her about helping change garbage ect.. she keeps in her room alot - so i dont ask much of her, but the few things i do it doesnot seem to happen.

iT was bad this morning, i was bitching about it to my other oommate and she overherd it, so she came out and started doing them - which is good, but the tension feels pretty thick in here now.

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
basketballjones said:
i always used to put a pile of someones dishes/clothes/what have you onto their bed, usually they get the hint

Dont people get really pissed about this? going into there room and putting dishes on thier bed?

deep

TRIBE Member
Generally for roommate related problems, I advise people to consider what Tony Soprano might do.

m0ff

TRIBE Member
mrs peacock said:
Dont people get really pissed about this? going into there room and putting dishes on thier bed?

Actually it's really effective in getting someone to respect the space you share. I would seriously take measures soon before it starts getting really warm out and the bugs start moving in. I lived with teh biggest slob EVER in university, all the plates, bowls, flatware, glasses etc were mine, so what I did was cleaned all of it up myself and then packed it all away leaving him a plate, bowl, knife, fork and glass. Yeah he got really pissed, but it saved me a weekly hissy fit for him to clean his dishes.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
Well, dont people get really pissed when stinky dishes get left in the sink for a week? -- either way, someone is getting pissed, better if its not me :)

However, if it is all your dishes that are there and none of theirs. Wash them all up, pack them away in your room, and leave her 1 or 2 of each dish type to use for herself (1 small plate, 1 big plate, 1 bowl, 1 fork, spoon, knife, etc), and store the rest in your room to use as you please.

If the only have a very small/limited ammount of dishes avail to them, they will be forced to wash what they use as they use it.

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
mrs peacock said:
and i guess them leaving dirty shit around is good?
if you ask them to keep their shit tidy and refuse to do it, then make it so their mess is in their personal space, and not where everyone else has to deal with it, if you want to be a slob, do it in your own room fucker

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
Why would you NOT deal with the issue? They don't want to respect the facilities you share then what the fuck? Bitch can learn to share the responsibility like the rest of us.

Boo

TRIBE Member
I probably do the dishes once or twice a week.

Sounds like you are a real treat to live with yourself, and I'm pretty sure its illegal to evict someone for not washing a spoon for a few days.

Skipper

TRIBE Member
Bernnie Federko said:
What's so difficult about once a day?

Nothing, if you're eating frozen pre-prepared meals or something...but oftentimes when I get home at 9pm from work/class, then cook a meal, and then eat the meal, I don't really feel like doing all of the dishes I just cooked with because I'm exhausted.

Doing dishes is like working out for me...it feels so good once they are done, but fack I hate doing them...and the longer you leave em, the harder it is to get motivated to do them.

Interchange

TRIBE Promoter
Slobs, people are just slobs and lazy.. i know people get busy, i even made it clear that iunderstand this happens, and if dishes are left for a few days fine..

But when shit lays aroudn for days and starts to smell, hell yeah i am going to be a treat to live with - its not fair to everyone else

basketballjones

TRIBE Member
i actually like doing dishes by hand, so oft times it doesnt bother me, but it irritates the shit out of me when they expect me to do all the dishes, if i dont make a mess, im not cleaning it up all the time
and i am horrible with the eating out, i eat out at least 5 times a week..so im rarely leaving a pile of dishes

mandapanda

TRIBE Member
i used to live with two other girls who were both total slobs, and who would leave dirty dishes piled up in the sink for days. i used to just pile their shit up on the counter since if they left it in the sink, there was no room to wash my own dishes, and i got sick of cleaning up after them.

if you don't want to wash them right away, fair enough, but at least rinse them off so they don't get food crusted on to them. so simple, yet somehow so difficult.

Bernnie Federko

TRIBE Member
2 days worth of dishes (frozen or fresh) is enough to warrant taking care of business. Dishes take 20 minutes at the max, usually enough time to do while whatever is being cooked (at least). Ain't that hard to tell!

Dr Funk MD

TRIBE Promoter
People have different living habits and no matter what you say or do all you'll do is build up animosity between you. Your roommate will just think you're a neurotic bitch because she doesn't see anything wrong with her behaviour. There is no way to win this because even if you can get her to agree to clean up more often the next time she forgets and you say something to her about it you're right back to stage one again. I am speaking from personal experience because I witnessed the very same problem a few years ago between roommates of mine.

The best thing to do is shut up and put up until the lease is up or one of you wants to move out because there is no way to win this situation for either of you.