• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Director of American History X making anti-meth ads now

crazedcanuck

TRIBE Member
A little too short imo for the most part..

The "Just Once" montage was probably the best, and longest.

I'm amazed @ how huge smoking drugs is in the US compared to Canada.

Karim

TRIBE Member
Meth culture fascinates me. I hear it's more prevelant to marijuana out in the midwest. I don't understand what goes on in everyones head to allow such a soul raping drug to be so popular amongst so many people.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

nikki.classics

TRIBE Member
ugh apparently i am of the squeemish variety, i only watched the eyebrow one.
i guess the old "this is your brain...this is your brain on drugs" just doesn't cut it anymore.

Muffin

TRIBE Member
the chick at the end of the "that guy" one is on the OC now.

good commercials, but I wonder how well scare tactics really work...

JAR

TRIBE Member
that guy (the director), I forget his name...Tony something? Anyway, he is a seriously twisted individual. I read an article in Vanity Fair on him some years back. whoa. Well, he befriended Marlon Brando, became very close, and persuaded the famous recluse to start holding acting classes. For some reason Brando came to the first class dressed as a woman, make-up, wig, everything. I think Michael Jackson was in their crew as well. Well, this was JUST after 9/11, like a week or so. This director guy shows up to this high-profile acting class/studio, where there are all these big shot industry types present, dressed as OSAMA BIN LADEN. Everyone was so shocked, Brando included, that they all left. He never spoke to his good friend Marlon again, but for months would get late night threating phone calls from someone he believed to be Brando.

Oh yea, when one of his rivals was holding an art show opening the same night as his, he hired a couple of London ambulances to drive around the venue in circles, with lights and horns blaring. for hours.

and when he filmed American History X, he would shoot the same scene over and over, sometime close to a thousand takes. If my memory serves me correct, it has the record as the film that spent the most money of any film on film stock. Ed Norton almost quit like three times, and there were physical altercations. Norton won't even talk about him.

Last edited:

ndrwrld

TRIBE Member
wow.
these should be shown in all U.S. schools.
even the poster ads...
wow.
ive never done meth, and i dont plan on trying it.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

Kinger

TRIBE Member
Muffin said:
the chick at the end of the "that guy" one is on the OC now.

good commercials, but I wonder how well scare tactics really work...
Yeah, Kaitlin was her name on that show. So much hotter than Marissa. Should I feel bad that she was playing a 16year old? Oh well I can do some meth and her age won't matter.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

L'ilMisSunshine

TRIBE Member
Thanks for posting this.

I hope we start seeing these commercials in Canada too ... I think they're explicit enough to scare some kids and adults away from it.

Eclectic

TRIBE Member
JAR said:
and when he filmed American History X, he would shoot the same scene over and over, sometime close to a thousand takes. If my memory serves me correct, it has the record as the film that spent the most money of any film on film stock. Ed Norton almost quit like three times, and there were physical altercations. Norton won't even talk about him.

Found this on Wikipedia.

The main controversy over the film centered on director Tony Kaye's attempts to try to remove his name from the credits, prefering instead to invoke the pseudonym Alan Smithee. Kaye alleged that his reasoning for this was Edward Norton's re-editing of the film to allegedly give himself more screen time. The Director's Guild of America ultimately denied Kaye the right to remove his name from the production, reasoning that Kaye had placed ads in Variety attacking the film, thus violating Guild rules regarding the right to invoke the pseudonym. Kaye proceeded to sue the Directors Guild and New Line Cinema, claiming they had violated his First Amendment rights.

lilnick

TRIBE Member
rentboy said:
great ads... that's the boy from Third Rock in the last one ('i'm not gonna be like that guy').
L'ilMisSunshine said:
I hope we start seeing these commercials in Canada too ... I think they're explicit enough to scare some kids and adults away from it.
ndrwrld said:
wow.
these should be shown in all U.S. schools.
even the poster ads...
wow.
ive never done meth, and i dont plan on trying it.
These have been running for a while down there now. I dunno... I'm not so sure about these ads. I don't believe scare tactics work in the long run... and when you're dealing with youth... I don't think the approach should be to TELL them what to NOT do... cause many of them are probally gonna run off and do it!

I do like the "real stories" section... I think that could be a much more effective tool in getting kids to listen.

There is a group (Council on Drug Abuse - CODA) here in Canada going into schools and doing "educational" work about methamphetamine... but they use scare tactics, fear and abstinence based messages... I'm really concerned about their approach.

kaniz

TRIBE Member
You know, I've done meth a few times - smoked, snorted. If I was to guess at the times in total - maybe 15? dunno, maybe more, maybe less. was usualy 'do a quick bump on my way to the club for a pick me up' and left it at that. Never did any multi-day benders, and never did it 'just because'

And I never felt addicted to it, never had cravings for it, and I havnt touched it in months - and cant say I have any desire to do it again. I dont really get where this whole 'I did it once, and was addicted for life!' thing comes from.

*shrug*

Now and then, if I had done meth on the weekend, when I woke up monday the thought would cross my mind 'you know, a bump would help get me through the day'

But well, a shower and a cup off coffee - that idea would fly out the window, and wouldnt even think of it anymore.

Last edited:

oh toro

TRIBE Member
interesting... i worked with the agency that produced this campaign. it's funded by tom siebel (siebel systems).