• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

digital scratching

erikwh

TRIBE Member
I want to start adding warped bits of audio to my songs... I'd get something like final scratch but I don't have any decks. Is there some other hardware+software solution that works? I'm tempted to build a little project with some rotating platters and crossfaders, wire it up to MIDI, and drive some software with it, although I do not know what software would work.

Ideas?

beaker

TRIBE Member
final scratch uses traktor. if you can create your own midi interface for pitching/scratching, that would be pretty cool (i would buy one if it worked well).

erikwh

TRIBE Member
yeah I was thinking about cooking up something like the top of a cdj. I don't know does that little platter actually rotate? it would not be too much more trouble to get a little motor in there. The only thing that I am not sure about is how the timecode information gets fed into traktor - via midi or something else I dunno.. I guess If I had a scope and final scratch could probably work it out.

DaPhatConductor

TRIBE Promoter
i often just put pitch envelopes on a sound and then cut n paste the bits in as if it were scratching. you could even do this with sound forge and acid, it's dead easy.

The Electrician

TRIBE Promoter
Dont waste your money on Final Scratch...

If you want hardware... get the the Numark CD Turntable... CDX

Its BADASS... you can scratch your loops, Mp3's and wav's
check it out

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

beaker

TRIBE Member
erikwh said:
yeah I was thinking about cooking up something like the top of a cdj. I don't know does that little platter actually rotate? it would not be too much more trouble to get a little motor in there. The only thing that I am not sure about is how the timecode information gets fed into traktor - via midi or something else I dunno.. I guess If I had a scope and final scratch could probably work it out.
i've never listened to the timecode off of serato or final scratch. do you think it's just SMPTE or MIDI? whatever it is, it is obvioiusly very precise.

The Electrician

TRIBE Promoter
Serato Scratch... it Near-Zero Latency... it's bang on...

Final Scratch is shit... it has like a 2-3 ms latency... its harder to scratch on... fine for mixing and slow scratching... but once you start givin-er it fucks up your flow...

biologik

TRIBE Member
there's a free VST plug for scratches by Bioroid. It's actually very good! A google search should turn it up no problem.
Cheers,
Eric

MOD ONE

TRIBE Member
CDJ1000 with a EFX1000 and you can do a Feedback loop with your EFX and it never degrades. So you crank your feedback all the way, do your scartch at the highest beat which is 1/8 (gives you 8 beats worth of time) and click your CDJ off and you have a scartch feed back loop. then you can cut it up and do some funky stuff with that sample.

Last edited: