• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Digital Camera Question

Woody

TRIBE Member
I am going to be in the market for a new digital camera sometime in the next 6 months, and wanted to get some opinions from people before I make up my mind about what it is that I want to get.

Specifically I am looking to purchase a 35 mm digital SLR, such as the Canon Digital Rebel or the Nikon D100.

I know that there are tons out there, but that the price probably keeps most people from buying one.

So in saying that, does anyone out there have one that they use or have experienced using, and what did they think.

I do have a nikon F3 SLR right now, and I am leaning towards the Nikon product line, but wanted to hear what other people thought before I finalize my choice.

Thanks,

Woody
 

KiFe

TRIBE Member
i think '35mm' is an irrelavent factor when purchasing a digital camera... seeing as how it refers to a film size, which is not a concern when shooting digital.

technically, a 35mm digital slr can't exist, unless it does film AND digital.. which is also kinda silly.



correct me if i'm wrong.
 

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
I made the switch from a Nikon F5 film camera to a canon digital and can tell you that the Canon products are great.

Their lenses are outstanding, specifically the zooms and are even better than the equivalent Nikon lenses I have used IMO.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by alexd
I made the switch from a Nikon F5 film camera to a canon digital and can tell you that the Canon products are great.

Their lenses are outstanding, specifically the zooms and are even better than the equivalent Nikon lenses I have used IMO.

I believe this is yours, no?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos1ds/

"The EOS-1Ds is Canon's newest professional SLR. Based on the EOS-1D body the EOS-1Ds raises resolution to 11 megapixels, uses a CMOS sensor (just like the EOS-D30 and D60) and is the first Canon digital SLR with a sensor which captures a full 35 mm frame."
 

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Nikons are known for having compatible lenses, esp with their Film SLR's, something other camera companies have not done so.

I'd say stick with the Nikon, but I'd choose the Canon if you didn't have the Nikon.

Canon lenses are awesome, Nikons have great bodies but I find their focusing system to be lacking on most of their SLR's.
 

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Originally posted by KiFe
i think '35mm' is an irrelavent factor when purchasing a digital camera... seeing as how it refers to a film size, which is not a concern when shooting digital.

technically, a 35mm digital slr can't exist, unless it does film AND digital.. which is also kinda silly.



correct me if i'm wrong.
It's access to the 35mm camera lens sets that is really important, no matter if you buy Nikon or Canon. Both brands have huge lens sets that are continuously being added to. You can also rent a lens if you want from Vistek for a day or week to fuck around.

The 35mm chip size means your lenses beahve exactly as they would if you use them on a 35mm film camera.
 
tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

miguel

TRIBE Member
i have a digital rebel. it rocks. the built in flash sucks though.. would suggest you buy a new one.

however it's not one of those cameras that you can just "take" anywhere as it's not tiny. but i don't think you're looking for one of those anyway.

the batteries last a long time and you have a nice array of canon lenses to choose from.
 

Woody

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by blueshrike
If you already have a Nikon SLR. Then, if everything else is equal, you should get a Nikon digital SLR because you will most likely be able to re-use your lenses and other accessories with the new camera.
The issue with that is that I think that the new nikons use a different mounting system than the older ones (my F3 is about 24 years old now) so I wouldn't be able to use the older lenses that I have. I could be wrong about that though, I'll have to do a little more digging to find out.
 

pr0nstar

TRIBE Member
If it's an older Nikon, you won't be able to use your Lens, I'm 99% sure...

My uncle jumped from the Nikon Film world to the Digital age and wanted to use his Nikon Lens... but the mounts weren't the same.

Same with some of the elctronics.

Just sell your old Lens ;) And buy new Canon ones :p

pr0nstar
 

Aerius Zension

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by pr0nstar
If it's an older Nikon, you won't be able to use your Lens, I'm 99% sure...

My uncle jumped from the Nikon Film world to the Digital age and wanted to use his Nikon Lens... but the mounts weren't the same.

Same with some of the elctronics.

Just sell your old Lens ;) And buy new Canon ones :p

pr0nstar


Depends on the mount, I believe. Nikons use a G-Mount and an F-Mount. I think the G-Mount is the newer one, as the order would suggest. Most the the lower end SLR's use this, but don't quote me on it.

The reason why they sell it as a 35mm is so the size of the image can be easily converted to a standard pic size, 4x6. Easier for inserting into albums.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

KiFe

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by alexd
It's access to the 35mm camera lens sets that is really important, no matter if you buy Nikon or Canon. Both brands have huge lens sets that are continuously being added to. You can also rent a lens if you want from Vistek for a day or week to fuck around.

The 35mm chip size means your lenses beahve exactly as they would if you use them on a 35mm film camera.

cooo.

good to know... thanks alex!
 

Stan

TRIBE Member
What are you going to be using the camera for? The Canon Digital Rebel is a pretty decent camera, especially for the price. However, it does have a plastic body, so isn't very durable. If you're going to be putting your camera through heavy use, you want one with a metal body.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Woody

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by Stan
What are you going to be using the camera for? The Canon Digital Rebel is a pretty decent camera, especially for the price. However, it does have a plastic body, so isn't very durable. If you're going to be putting your camera through heavy use, you want one with a metal body.
Mostly for my own use, just advancing my skills and such.

Nothing professional......

yet
 

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
the lenses for the F3 are two generations behind the F5 and nikons new digital line so while they may work, they won't be able to take advantage of the autofocus, exposure and other features of the new bodies.

I suggest you sell the F3 fast because they are being pushed out of the resale market quite quickly by the newer cameras as people sell them to move to the digital nikons.

Apparently the D2H is pretty good if you want to stick with nikon and it has an amazing WiFi feature that lets you shoot cordlessly in the studio which is kind of cool.

As for Canon, they tell me the digital rebel uses a lot of the same focusing & exposure electronics as the 1Ds although the body is not professional grade and it doesn't have all the versatility and strength of the pro camera.

Get an external flash for it if you do. Their Speedlite 550EX is really great.
 

ladd

TRIBE Member
hold off for now, canon is releasing a whole new line of cameras in the next couple of months. (i think there's a camera show or something coming up where they will be announced)
i'm sure nikon and all the other camera companies will be doing the same thing.

basically there's going to be a whole bunch of upgraded digital slrs coming out for the same price or cheaper.

i have a canon eos 10D, amazing camera, however remember that most of these cameras are only bodies, so be prepared to spend another 600$ on a decent lense.
 

PosTMOd

Well-Known TRIBEr
Originally posted by Eclectic
PosTMOd: What's the camera that you own again?

It takes gooders.
Sony DSC-F717.

It's not SLR, but it has a damned good Carl Zeiss lens, and some fine features, including infrared in-the-dark picture taking capabilities.
 
tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders
Top