• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Different Genres of house

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
So...
I'm trying to educate my friend on house. And I can play her all my favourite tracks/djs/producers....But i thought you guys would be the best to help me make sure i'm correct on the specific Genres of house. If you could write what your favourite genre is..and what it sounds like...laymans terms so i can explain it...that would be SO COOL.

Thanks
have a great day ;)
Peace. Love. House.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Kinderhouse - accessible dance music for the remarkably underage, often using xylophones and barn noises. Popular guest vocalists include Raffi, Fred Penner, Elmo, and Simone Denny.

Handbag House - the CD you put on when nobody else from the House forum is around. Successful producers include Tim Patrick and Sage.

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
Intelligent Dance House: Made by people with accents and thick glasses. So unaccesable that it is dubbed "intelligent" lest we admit that it is either 1. shite or 2. we dont understand it. See also: Dance Music Not Made for Dancing.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
in all seriousness, House music is all encompassing and doesn't need to be divided into genres to be enjoyed. If I limited myself by only listening to Chicago or to Deep House, I'd miss a shitload of quality music out there. I find genres are only good for trying to explain the fundamentals of a track to someone who hasn't heard it yet, but that's about it. Otherwise, it's all house to me.

JOSHB

TRIBE Member
Still, there is no downplaying the importance of distinctions in genre breakdowns.

Remember that bubble/diagram that explained (or tried to) electronic music and how genres are related to each other? If someone could find that it may be helpful.

Also: Triscuts are the best cracker out there.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JOSHB
Still, there is no downplaying the importance of distinctions in genre breakdowns.

Remember that bubble/diagram that explained (or tried to) electronic music and how genres are related to each other? If someone could find that it may be helpful.

Also: Triscuts are the best cracker out there.
It was on jahsonic, not sure if it's still there. It's good to illustrate the evolution of EDM, but I find genres make it to easy for someone to be stuck in their little niche of house music rather than exploring the musical diversity within house music and EDM in general.

faunty

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by JOSHB

ishkurs guide?

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
The thing is...i love ALL types of house...
actually all types of electronic music.
I just think its really interesting to see the different types and where they come from.

EG. Chicago...what clubs started it...

Sometimes defining the different styles makes you more in tune with what you're really listening to.

tribe magazine legacy photo exhibit

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
good history of house music on www.jahsonic.org , and ishkur's guide is a relatively good place to start when looking for different types of EDM and how they evolved. Personally, I think there's a fair bit mislabelled in Ishkur's guide though.

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Hip hop and house are a LOT closer than you'd think. Don't hate on hip-hop, it's done a lot to shape the house sound over the years.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Lil'Timmy

TRIBE Promoter
Drury House: Commonly played by superstar DJ and fashionista Micheal "Mike E Mike" Drury. It usually features a lot of vocals, mostly female, over an overly big beat and chuggy bass.

VinylRach

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by Rude1_247
Hip hop and house are a LOT closer than you'd think. Don't hate on hip-hop, it's done a lot to shape the house sound over the years.
No..its the beat that kills me. I see its influence...
And i can appreciate the old skool....

Its whats out there now. i smacked my bitch up...my babys momma, this is my chicks ass watch it jiggle. wtf.

jasonchaos

TRIBE Promoter
Originally posted by VinylRach

Its whats out there now. i smacked my bitch up...my babys momma, this is my chicks ass watch it jiggle. wtf.
lets say hip hop may be evolving for the worse, but some house has evolved from hip hop for the better....and yes the old skool rocks, lets we not forget about the pioneers....

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by VinylRach

If you're not a fan of hip-hop, then your only exposure to the genre is going to be a result of controversy, etc. The facts are that there is a LOT of hip-hop which has an entirely different message that is as popular as the bling-garbage you're referring to.

Rude - Don't hate, incorporate - One

Rude1_247

TRIBE Member
Originally posted by jasonchaos
lets say hip hop may be evolving for the worse, but some house has evolved from hip hop for the better....and yes the old skool rocks, lets we not forget about the pioneers....
I wouldn't say it's evolving for the worse at all, there's been a whole shitload of incredible producers break the genre out of it's sample based roots and expanding the soundscape of what's considered hip-hop. While old skool will always hold it's own, let's not discount the stuff coming out from mainstream acts like Kanye, the Neptunes, and Missy or more undergound stuff like 9th Wonder.