• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Did anyone grow a plant outside this year? Or 4?

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
What a mission! Holy shit, harvesting took over two weeks. Next year I will only grow 2 plants outside instead of 4. The 16 foot tall Bruce Banner plant alone took 3 people 3 days to harvest + an entire day of just me cleaning up the scraggly stuff. This week I will dig out the roots to use in jewelry making.
LOL! Welcome to the wonderful world of outdoor cultivation! Let us know what that Bruce Banner yielded. That thing was a monster. :)

The Kid

TRIBE Member
What a mission! Holy shit, harvesting took over two weeks. Next year I will only grow 2 plants outside instead of 4. The 16 foot tall Bruce Banner plant alone took 3 people 3 days to harvest + an entire day of just me cleaning up the scraggly stuff. This week I will dig out the roots to use in jewelry making.
I just finished up over the weekend also, I split it over two weekends, what a ton of work but happy with the results, smells and looks amazing

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Still going on the Northern Lights/Hindu. Everyone with auto-flower is done. The traditional stuff takes longer. LST plus regular fan trimming has led to a fattening of everything. I’ll have this half trimmed before it’s harvested. Again - this is an old school mountain strain hybrid, so it enjoys a bit of cold. Kicks it into high gear. I’m watching it happen. Do it right and you only need one. I can’t imagine dealing with 4 of these, come trim time. My Probably one more week. Almost there!!!

Last edited:

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Still going on the Northern Lights/Hindu. Everyone with auto-flower is done. The traditional stuff takes longer. LST plus regular fan trimming has led to a fattening of everything. I’ll have this half trimmed before it’s harvested. Again - this is an old school mountain strain hybrid, so it enjoys a bit of cold. Kicks it into high gear. I’m watching it happen. Do it right and you only need one. I can’t imagine dealing with 4 of these, come trim time. My Probably one more week. Almost there!!!

Beautiful. I just put a 2nd trim on my one little girl that made it but it will be very nice over the winter.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Now I'm already thinking about growing another plant that will be ready, hopefully, in the dead of winter. A nice indica. Or an indica dominant hybrid ;) baconpanbaconpan .

I think the problem with harvesting the bruce banner was that it didn't really have colas. Smaller popcorny buds were spread randomly over a huge 16 foot x 16 foot surface area. It was like taking down a huge Christmas tree decorated with treasured heirloom ornaments.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Now I'm already thinking about growing another plant that will be ready, hopefully, in the dead of winter. A nice indica. Or an indica dominant hybrid ;) baconpanbaconpan .

I think the problem with harvesting the bruce banner was that it didn't really have colas. Smaller popcorny buds were spread randomly over a huge 16 foot x 16 foot surface area. It was like taking down a huge Christmas tree decorated with treasured heirloom ornaments.

baconpan Actually visualizing eating crispy bacon followed by a big warm indica in Feb 2021 baconpan

catilyst

TRIBE Member
It seems like you're all kicking ass with the outdoor this year!

I had three Bubba Kush 2.0's, their buds were a bit airy and loose so I just did a quick easy trim, into the freezer, then made bubble hash out of it. The fourth was a Zkittles that was pretty beefy, it's currently curing.

I was going to mention this earlier but didn't want to sound smug - Indoor growing is a bit of $$ to get going (really pennies on the gram if you do the math) + ongoing electrical costs, but so worth while.

No stressing about the weather, mould, pests, maturing before frost, nosey neighbors etc. Also a nice distraction in the dead of winter. Highly recommended!

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
It seems like you're all kicking ass with the outdoor this year!

I had three Bubba Kush 2.0's, their buds were a bit airy and loose so I just did a quick easy trim, into the freezer, then made bubble hash out of it. The fourth was a Zkittles that was pretty beefy, it's currently curing.

I was going to mention this earlier but didn't want to sound smug - Indoor growing is a bit of $$ to get going (really pennies on the gram if you do the math) + ongoing electrical costs, but so worth while.

No stressing about the weather, mould, pests, maturing before frost, nosey neighbors etc. Also a nice distraction in the dead of winter. Highly recommended!
I concur. If there’s anything this outdoor season has reminded me, it’s that indoor - with a decent rig - will be the gift that keeps on giving, without the weather as a factor. Just trying to get a rig sorted. So many options! :)

***ANY recommendations on a small, LED indoor setup are much appreciated. My former life was multiple 1000W MH, followed by HPS. Pain in the ass. A load of power and a load of heat. Any suggestions?

Last edited:

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Quantum Boards and their variations seem to be the new standard. I too used to go the MH/HPS route, and finally bought a QB from here

and it seriously kicks ass. More light, less wattage? Sign me up. Less heat too!

Most people will buy these Kingbrite QB kits from ali babba, as they're cheaper than the link I provided. (I payed a premium from this Canadian vendor due to shipping times, but looking at comments at eg /r/microgrowery it seems like the shipping times from ali babba have improved.)

Looks like Amazon has kits now as well. Huh. Admittedly my lighting knowledge is a year minimum out of date.

If you've grown inside before I assume you're already set on a medium - for those following along, I always go with (and recommend) using pure coco coir. Coco, with a drip to waste feed style is unbeatable in terms of growth and ease. Easy enough for someone new to understand and execute, and good enough for the pros as well.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
Quantum Boards and their variations seem to be the new standard. I too used to go the MH/HPS route, and finally bought a QB from here

I bought a 3x3 mars hydro grow tent and their TSW - 2000 light. The build quality of both is exceptional. The tent fabric is that really nice thick 1680D nylon and there are no light leaks. The light is actually a huge aluminum reflector/heatsink for the quantuum boards. Really nice to see build quality this good on anything these days. I used the setup to give my outdoor plants a few weeks head start this year, and it's what I will use to grow a nice plant this winter, and maybe also some fresh basil.

tribe cannabis goldsmith - gold cannabis accessories

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
Went for a late night fall walk last night here in KW. And yes, the skunks are out at this time of year around here, however as I walked around the neighborhood I could smell clearly pick up the sweet smell of the fall harvest. Lots of awesome aromas.

So many people growing which is a beautiful thing.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Beautiful!
Now, let’s see if I can get the cure right. Trying the jar method, once a little crunchy on the outside. Most of the stuff I’ve already harvested has turned out “good enough for butter”. I’m not super happy with the loss of terpenes. Going to do some more research before I chop the rest. Anyone had any luck with the “jar method”? Any tips and tricks would be much appreciated!!!

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Now, let’s see if I can get the cure right. Trying the jar method, once a little crunchy on the outside. Most of the stuff I’ve already harvested has turned out “good enough for butter”. I’m not super happy with the loss of terpenes. Going to do some more research before I chop the rest. Anyone had any luck with the “jar method”? Any tips and tricks would be much appreciated!!!
Yeah I'm doing large jars, burping daily for ~5 min, smells amazing and looking prettier every day. I'm going to be patient, haven't sampled yet. :)

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Jar method is pretty fool proof, only real risk is jarring when the flower is still too moist, leading to mold. The most popular method is to dry until the small stems snap when bent, then sealed into jars. However in my experience I find it to be a little too dry at that point.

So, get your self some hygrometers, even these cheap ones work consistently:

Dry your weed in a dark spot preferably with some air movement until it's starting to feel dry and slightly smaller than when fresh. For me this usually takes 3 or 4 days. Pro's will adjust the humidity in the drying area to stretch this part out longer.

When you think they're ready to go into jars fill the jars a little over 3/4's full and insert the hygrometer. Seal and wait a few hours or half a day and check the humidity. If it's over %70 it's too damp, remove to dry another day or so, then repeat the above process.

If the humidity is lower than %55 consider adding an integra humidity pack.

Burp jars daily, while monitoring the humidity. When it's stable around %65 I start getting lazy and burp every 2 or 3 days. I typically cure for 4 months minimum.

Edit: amazon link isn't displaying, I was linking the following for $18.99
Mini Hygrometer, 4-Pack Thermometer Hygrometer Digital LCD

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Jar method is pretty fool proof, only real risk is jarring when the flower is still too moist, leading to mold. The most popular method is to dry until the small stems snap when bent, then sealed into jars. However in my experience I find it to be a little too dry at that point.

So, get your self some hygrometers, even these cheap ones work consistently:

Dry your weed in a dark spot preferably with some air movement until it's starting to feel dry and slightly smaller than when fresh. For me this usually takes 3 or 4 days. Pro's will adjust the humidity in the drying area to stretch this part out longer.

When you think they're ready to go into jars fill the jars a little over 3/4's full and insert the hygrometer. Seal and wait a few hours or half a day and check the humidity. If it's over %70 it's too damp, remove to dry another day or so, then repeat the above process.

If the humidity is lower than %55 consider adding an integra humidity pack.

Burp jars daily, while monitoring the humidity. When it's stable around %65 I start getting lazy and burp every 2 or 3 days. I typically cure for 4 months minimum.

Edit: amazon link isn't displaying, I was linking the following for $18.99
Mini Hygrometer, 4-Pack Thermometer Hygrometer Digital LCD
Great advice, I'm definitely going to need some of those humidity packs.