• Hi Guest: Welcome to TRIBE, the online home of TRIBE MAGAZINE. If you'd like to post here, or reply to existing posts on TRIBE, you first have to register. Join us!

Did anyone grow a plant outside this year? Or 4?

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Nice!!! I had one that had purple buds like that. It was a Skunk Beard clone. I was so excited for that one. Unfortunately last Friday night some fucking punks jumped the fence and ripped that one and a White Widow right out of my garden. They were weeks away from being ready to harvest. F'n assholes. They came back the other night. I could hear them sneaking up along the side of my house but I chased them away and moved my last plants up to my top deck. I hope moving them while well into flowering stage doesn't kill them completely. I would rather lose them to that then to give the neighbourhood degenerates more though. Like come on guys, the shit is basically free. Just grow it yourselves! Don't steal my girls and kill them or try to dry them out now and end up with shitty weed. If you saw me outside and said "hey those look like nice plants back there!" I would say "yeah totally. Why don't you come back in a month and I will have a jar or two for you!". This is why we can't have nice things.

Oh man that sucks. I had a buddy warn me about posting pics online due to this... heard second hand stories of a few peoples plants being ripped off. :(

Stop Bill C-10

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Oh man that sucks. I had a buddy warn me about posting pics online due to this... heard second hand stories of a few peoples plants being ripped off. :(
This has nothing to do with posting pics online. This is entirely due to legalization and the fact that scumbags have been trolling neighbourhoods since the spring, looking in yards for growers. All they have to do is wait, if you’re not prepared. Scumbags are worst kind of pestilence.

maphi

TRIBE Member
Yeah it's just assholes trolling the neighbourhoods for sure. The worst part is that they have no idea what they are doing and just rip it out of the ground weeks before it's ready to harvest. So whoever they are going to sell it to is going to end up with some shitty ass weed that could have been great.

The Kid

TRIBE Member
This has nothing to do with posting pics online. This is entirely due to legalization and the fact that scumbags have been trolling neighbourhoods since the spring, looking in yards for growers. All they have to do is wait, if you’re not prepared. Scumbags are worst kind of pestilence.

Yeah makes sense. Ours are tucked away completely out of view from the street or alleyway so I think we'll be fine. Also we have great neighbours and most of us are working from home anyways.

tribe cannabis accessories silver grinders

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Most of the people growing auto-flower stuff are already harvesting. My old-school NL/HK bush is just popping now. Took 3 hours to get through my fan pinch yesterday. I also trimmed all the low-hangers. She’s a beast. Looks like a pound coming from this one (touch wood) provided the weather and my security system allow for full maturation. I really focused on the LST this year. It’s made all the difference. Kolas from everywhere! Wish me luck. ;)
80221903-B3-C6-4-CB9-914-D-55-D48-F82613-C.jpg[img]

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Anyone have any tips and tricks for harvesting/curing/trimming? I'm a total NOOB...!
Pull everything you can by hand, BEFORE you harvest. Then, little scissors and get in tight. The more you get off prior to curing, the better off you’ll be. Take your time. Have a puff and make it a ZEN thing. Otherwise... you’ll lose your mind. It takes forever. ...but a sweet, tight snip will maximize the taste. Just go as close to the buds as you can without cutting them. Try to keep the buds on the branches, so you can hang them. Then hang them in a cool, dark place - preferably with a fan to keep the air moving. Be slow, gentle and thorough. S’all I got. Let me know how it turns out!!!

catilyst

TRIBE Member
Agreed.

Trimming is an absolute chore. The first few times it's kind of novel but it get's old quick. Get a handful of different size scissors and iso to keep them clipping nicely and find what feels best in your hands. Sit, stand, lean.. Get comfortable. Good light or your eyes will strain.

The structure of the buds is pretty obvious and you'll get faster as you learn how to get efficient with the scissors. Generally lift and separate away from the stem. Some plants are tough enough to take a significant defoliation by hand, when the larger leaves snap off crisp. Some serious efficiency there. If possible keep all the flowers on the stems as they're easier to handle and dry that way. Dry slowly in the dark for a few days, then remove from and discard stems into mason jars when they're ~65 degrees relative humidity. Burp daily or so to cure for a few months.

Watch humidity closely at first to prevent mildew.

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Agreed.

Trimming is an absolute chore. The first few times it's kind of novel but it get's old quick. Get a handful of different size scissors and iso to keep them clipping nicely and find what feels best in your hands. Sit, stand, lean.. Get comfortable. Good light or your eyes will strain.

The structure of the buds is pretty obvious and you'll get faster as you learn how to get efficient with the scissors. Generally lift and separate away from the stem. Some plants are tough enough to take a significant defoliation by hand, when the larger leaves snap off crisp. Some serious efficiency there. If possible keep all the flowers on the stems as they're easier to handle and dry that way. Dry slowly in the dark for a few days, then remove from and discard stems into mason jars when they're ~65 degrees relative humidity. Burp daily or so to cure for a few months.

Watch humidity closely at first to prevent mildew.
Right! ...but I also forgot to add that - and before you clean with ISO, scrape any goodness that’s on there onto a piece of parchment paper. It can easily add up to an excellent thing. :)

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Pull everything you can by hand, BEFORE you harvest. Then, little scissors and get in tight. The more you get off prior to curing, the better off you’ll be. Take your time. Have a puff and make it a ZEN thing. Otherwise... you’ll lose your mind. It takes forever. ...but a sweet, tight snip will maximize the taste. Just go as close to the buds as you can without cutting them. Try to keep the buds on the branches, so you can hang them. Then hang them in a cool, dark place - preferably with a fan to keep the air moving. Be slow, gentle and thorough. S’all I got. Let me know how it turns out!!!

This is great, thanks man! :)

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
This is great, thanks man! :)
I just want us all to “get there”!!! I’m gonna build a small greenhouse over mine. It’ll be a pain but that rain last night was cold. I went out and shook off all the excess. If it pools into the buds and sits overnight, there could be mold issues, very quickly. None of us need this right now. Clipping everything you can not only takes away some of the material that water pools in, it also makes for an easier trim. The plant doesn’t need those fans, right now. The buds will pop, if you remove them. ...and - trust me - you’ll be thankful when you have to get the scissors out!!! ;)

Last edited:

The Kid

TRIBE Member
According to my grower buddy today is harvest day... I wish I wasn't so hungover lol this is going to be fun though

The Kid

TRIBE Member
I just want us all to “get there”!!! I’m gonna build a small greenhouse over mine. It’ll be a pain but that rain last night was cold. I went out and shook off all the excess. If it pools into the buds and sits overnight, there could be mold issues, very quickly. None of us need this right now. Clipping everything you can not only takes away some of the material that water pools in, it also makes for an easier trim. The plant doesn’t need those fans, right now. The buds will pop, if you remove them. ...and - trust me - you’ll be thankful when you have to get the scissors out!!! ;)

Good call, my buddy just did that (makeshift greenhouse). You're good people my dude...

The Kid

TRIBE Member
My dry room is holding steady at 22 degrees and 40% humidity... assuming these are acceptable levels?

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
My dry room is holding steady at 22 degrees and 40% humidity... assuming these are acceptable levels?
Absolutely. ...but have a read through this guide. It’s important to keep your moisture content optimal for the preservation of terpenes and potency. I’m gonna go with trim, hang and then mason jars this year. You need to “burp” them every day until they’re at optimal moisture content. I haven’t used this method before but have heard nothing but great results from others. Obviously, you need to stay on top of things. ...but there’s no better motivation than a quality product!!

The Kid

TRIBE Member
Absolutely. ...but have a read through this guide. It’s important to keep your moisture content optimal for the preservation of terpenes and potency. I’m gonna go with trim, hang and then mason jars this year. You need to “burp” them every day until they’re at optimal moisture content. I haven’t used this method before but have heard nothing but great results from others. Obviously, you need to stay on top of things. ...but there’s no better motivation than a quality product!!

Nice that's a great article, have bookmarked it. I'm doing the mason jar method also, bought a couple big one gallon ones off amazon for cheap. Debating if I should pick up some Bovedas to ensure proper humidity throughout curing...

Mondieu

TRIBE Member
Nice that's a great article, have bookmarked it. I'm doing the mason jar method also, bought a couple big one gallon ones off amazon for cheap. Debating if I should pick up some Bovedas to ensure proper humidity throughout curing...
I’m just gonna hang mine in the dark and keep a daily eye on them. Once they’re close, I’ll toss them in jars and burp and gently stir daily. That’s assuming I make it before any heavy frost. I’m at least a couple of weeks away. The mountain strains can take a beating but I don’t want to risk it. Prolly do the greenhouse thing after the weekend. My scissor hand is tarting to get antsy.

kennyboy

TRIBE Member
First trim and jar today. I’ll give the girls a week or so and do a second haircut. Everybody has their own opinion and experience but for me I like to leave a few of the sugar leaves on in the first week or so.

Happy Thanksgiving and a fall bounty to all.

alexd

Administrator
Staff member
What a mission! Holy shit, harvesting took over two weeks. Next year I will only grow 2 plants outside instead of 4. The 16 foot tall Bruce Banner plant alone took 3 people 3 days to harvest + an entire day of just me cleaning up the scraggly stuff. This week I will dig out the roots to use in jewelry making.